Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I lift/jack my LFP Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have those "hockey pucks" to jack my Model X and it works great, wanted to get one set for my LFP Model 3 but the place I bought mine says they will not work with LFP equipped cars, only non LFP. How do I lift/jack mine without damaging anything? Are there any LFP specific jack pads/adaptors?

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla does not mention any difference between LFP and NCA battery Model 3 cars for lifting or jacking.

GUID-71FB1F13-D884-49D3-B5E4-EADC5CDA11D0-online-en-US.png

The Model X seems to be a little different, according to Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla .

GUID-AA0CC80A-B310-467D-8A1D-293985E208B2-online-en-US.png

However, there are several aftermarket jack pads that claim compatibility with all of S, X, 3, Y.

Of course, some people just use actual hockey pucks or rubber or wood blocks carefully positioned (the aftermarket jack pads lock into the hole to ensure correct positioning).

Reactions: afadeev
The main issue is that the jacking location is small, so you cannot jack it up and then slip a jack stand there to lower the car onto the jack stand.

There are some aftermarket jack stands that try to solve this problem:

There is also a bottle jack with a built in jack stand, but its minimum height is too high to fit under a Model 3.

Reactions: XPsionic
You don't need pads at all. I lift mine all the time without them. Hell, my jack points are mostly scraped off my car from grinding them on curbs on the track and to the surprise of jack pad lovers my car hasn't totaled itself yet. I generally jack it from the rear motor first then go to the sides to get it on jack stands though I wouldn't recommend randomly doing this without having had the covers off to know where you can safely jack from.

The main issue is that the jacking location is small, so you cannot jack it up and then slip a jack stand there to lower the car onto the jack stand.

Tesla jacking points are, roughly, the same size as those on ALL of my other cars.
Neither smaller, nor larger. Just right.

Same rules apply for putting it on the jack stands, as with ALL other cars.

I have those "hockey pucks" to jack my Model X and it works great, wanted to get one set for my LFP Model 3 but the place I bought mine says they will not work with LFP equipped cars, only non LFP.

That's complete and utter horsesh*t.
Battery chemistry has no effect on vehicle design and battery tray packaging into the vehicle frame.
You still jack up the car using the same jack-points that are identified and illustrated in Tesla's Model 3 manual:

How do I lift/jack mine without damaging anything? Are there any LFP specific jack pads/adaptors?

You do NOT need any aftermarket jack pads or adapters. If you did, Tesla would have specified them in the manual.
Placing the jack under the correct place for lifting the car is a standard operating procedure for all cars. You can't just randomly shove it under the foot well of ANY car and expect not to damage something expensive. The same rule applies to Teslas.

Follow instructions in the Model 3 manual for locating reinforced lift points, and use common sense. Or pay someone to do it for you!
If you REALLY want to spend money on an aftermarket puck, buy the real deal - they fit into the jack saddle really well, and can be reused across all your cars:

HTH,
a

Last edited:
You do NOT need any aftermarket jack pads or adapters. If you did, Tesla would have specified them in the manual.
Placing the jack under the correct place for lifting the car is a standard operating procedure for all cars. You can't just randomly shove it under the foot well of ANY car and expect not to damage something expensive. The same rule applies to Teslas.

HTH,
a
Nonsense! Maybe not on the Model S with the glass reinforced jacking blocks, but on all other newer models, you need jacking adapters or pucks to prevent damage to the aluminum that makes up the jacking socket area on the battery.

Your statement is equivalent to, If nature meant man to fly, the great almighty would have equipped him with wings.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev and ucmndd
Nonsense! Maybe not on the Model S with the glass reinforced jacking blocks, but on all other newer models, you need jacking adapters or pucks to prevent damage to the aluminum that makes up the jacking socket area on the battery.

Your statement is equivalent to, If nature meant man to fly, the great almighty would have equipped him with wings.
Jack pads are not required for any Tesla vehicle. You just need to ensure you place the jack at the specified locations. Do you think mobile service uses jack pads?

Likely our car; not mine.
View attachment 967425

View attachment 967426

I'll use the pucks.
Yes “likely our car”, you said it not me haha.

I’m not saying not to use pucks. But you said they are necessary, which is not accurate. They may make you feel better, but that is far from meaning they are necessary to lift a Tesla without damaging the jack locations.

Easily verified. Just try yo put a magnet on the jacking socket.
This article shows that the jack points are steel.

Look at the underside view. You can clearly see the 4 jackpoints in a frame that's colored blue which signifies 'mild steel' according to the legend.

Easily verified. Just try yo put a magnet on the jacking socket.
That’s your way of verifying if the jack points are aluminum or steel? They could be plastic, or paper.
No one would manufacture jack points on a car from just aluminum. The whole point of having designated jack points is to have reinforced areas that can handle the weight of the car.

I’ll just chime in to say I have the pucks, but when Tesla SC came to my house to rotate the tires (first rotation) they did not use them. When I asked about that the service guy said his jack didn’t need the puck. I was surprised he lifted both wheels off the ground with one jack and switched the tires front to back and vice versa. I was nervous about it, tbh.

I did a brake fluid flush and tire rotation on my 2018 model 3 yesterday. I lifted the back tire via a puck and low profile jack. The car is so rigid that lifting the back tire also lifts the front tire. I was able to lift high enough to get a Rennstand jackstand under the front lift point with a special Rennstand adaper for model 3. I was able to easily rotate the tires. Glad I had a impact wrench or getting those darn lugnuts off would have been futile at 129ft/lbs. Had to do this method since for some reason the rennstand platform + low profile jack was 1/2" too high to get under the model 3. I could swear I did this successfully before.