Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jacksonville SuperCharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
176 is out of range for my 60. Even at 100% full battery I would have RR of about 200 and at highway speeds get about 85% of that so I wouldn't feel comfortable needing to go that distance. I feel confident the TESLA people know this and are keeping the spread between SC to about 140 miles. Jax - Savannah would be in that mark.

- - - Updated - - -

176 is out of range for my 60. Even at 100% full battery I would have RR of about 200 and at highway speeds get about 85% of that so I wouldn't feel comfortable needing to go that distance. I feel confident the TESLA people know this and are keeping the spread between SC to about 140 miles. Jax - Savannah would be in that mark.

I talked with the Supercharger group on Monday because I had a problem at the Rocky Mount NC location. They told me the Lumberton and Savannah Superchargers will be on line within 4-6 weeks, along with another Supercharger in SC and St. Augustine, FL. They told me the distance between Savannah and ST. Augustine is larger than usual (meaning probably have to drive at 55 mph instead of the 70 speed limit) to make it in my P85. I don't know how a S60 would make that distance. When I asked why they don't install a supercharger in Jacksonville, they replied that they have not been able to find a location in the Jacksonville area that can provide the electrical requirements needed for 8 bays.I find that hard to believe but that is what the person said.

I would have loved to have been able to drive from NC to Miami for the holidays, but I have to believe that Tesla has been trying their hardest to get these done as quickly as possible. I'm just happy to see them really ramping up the rollouts now.

I drove from DC to Palm Beach, FL last month and back a few days ago. I used Superchargers at Glen Allen, Burlington (going down), Rocky Mount (going back), Port Orange and Port St. Lucie. From NC, I spent the night in Florence, SC charging at a hotel provided L2 charger. This took me to Savannah, where I charged at an RV park, to get to Jacksonville, where I again charged overnight at a Nissan dealer. Thus, a 3 day trip. With superchargers in Savannah and St. Augustine, the trip can probably be done in 2 days. Currently, the bottleneck is Savannah, as I lost 6 hours there charging. That will change in a few weeks.

BTW, Nissan was more than happy to let me charge there. In fact, I spent over an hour showing the car to over a dozen Nissan people at the showroom. They all loved the car.

In October I managed to do Savannah to Port Orange (233 miles) in one hit using max range charge (with an S85) so long as you keep to 65mph or less. I had 20 miles left by the time I got to Port Orange. Going the other way is harder as there's a slow incline which eats up the juice. I stopped at St John's River mall and topped up on a J1772 charger.

I talked with the Supercharger group on Monday because I had a problem at the Rocky Mount NC location. They told me the Lumberton and Savannah Superchargers will be on line within 4-6 weeks, along with another Supercharger in SC and St. Augustine, FL. They told me the distance between Savannah and ST. Augustine is larger than usual (meaning probably have to drive at 55 mph instead of the 70 speed limit) to make it in my P85. I don't know how a S60 would make that distance. When I asked why they don't install a supercharger in Jacksonville, they replied that they have not been able to find a location in the Jacksonville area that can provide the electrical requirements needed for 8 bays. I find that hard to believe but that is what the person said.

Hope the new Jacksonville service center is not on the list of locations unable to provide the electrical requirements for 8 bays. The supercharger map does not have any superchargers in between savannah and St. Aug as time progresses. I don't see Tesla leaving s60 owners out in the cold or in the heat lol and 85s rolling at a crawl on such a popular route forever. 4 or 6 bays is better than no bays guys.

I could not go from savannah to port orange in my p85 with Michelin pilot sport tires. On Sunday I left Jacksonville with 240 miles range charge for a 180 mile drive to Florence, SC. Arrived with just 4 miles if charge left. And that was driving the last 45 miles at 55mph in a 70mph speed zone. If I had driven the entire way at the speed limit, I would have been stranded.

I could not go from savannah to port orange in my p85 with Michelin pilot sport tires. On Sunday I left Jacksonville with 240 miles range charge for a 180 mile drive to Florence, SC. Arrived with just 4 miles if charge left. And that was driving the last 45 miles at 55mph in a 70mph speed zone. If I had driven the entire way at the speed limit, I would have been stranded.

That's a 25% range hit! What was your wh/mi average? Was the weather bad? Seems high, espescially after driving at 55 mph for the last 45 miles.

That is about 400 WH/M according to my rough calculations. I recently drove my P85 246 miles on 248 mile charge half of the drive was in 30-40 degree weather and the other half in 40-50. I usually do the reverse of swegman and go 65 on the interstate and 55 on rural roads to start the trip and speed up as I get a feel for the range under the conditions. I was planning on making the Port Orange to Savannah run later this month so I would like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I'm pretty confused about this. Were you going from Savannah to Port Orange, or from Jacksonville to Florence, SC? You mention both, neither of which is a 180 mile drive.

Savannah to Port Orange: 236 miles
Jacksonville to Florence, SC: 310 miles

It varied from a low of about 335 wh/mi to over 410 wh/mi, with an average of I think 389 for that trip. My lifetime average (on about 8,000 miles) is 365. I don't know how some people are getting lifetime averages of less than 300. I am not accelerating hard, braking hard, etc., and about 5000 miles of the 8000 total miles has been driven in the DC area, which has a 55 mph speed limit. Tesla claims the increased battery power consumption is a result of the Michelin Pilot Sport tires.

The Santee, SC location has been discovered - Supercharger - Santee, SC

I don't think 177 miles between St. Augustine and Savannah is too bad. The distance between Burlington and Richmond are actually farther I think. Closer to 200.

Yeah, the distance is 199.2 miles between Burlington and Glen Allen Superchargers. I did it in 60-65 degree weather at 325 Wh/mi averaging 66 mph, which involved driving 75+ mph for big stretches of time. I did a range charge the first time, and didn't bother with a range charge the second. The big problem is that if you miscalculate and leave too early, then there aren't many good options to add charge. On my way back from Burlington, I only put in 68 kWh or so, so it was a bit tight. I did the 203 miles back to my house using 316 Wh/mi by driving slower in I-85 (68mph) and then driving normal in I-95.

177 miles isn't bad. It's possible to charge to 80% (212 ideal miles), use 375 watts/mile (driving 75 mph + heater) and hit that range. But it's right on the cusp of that. Therefore on an 85, one still has to wait longer to into the charge rate tapering to be comfortable and drive "normal." For 60kWh owners, this is probably deep into a range charge, which means a much longer time at the supercharger before heading out, or drive below speed limit - basically, you have to use probably less than 325 Wh/mi.