Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Jaguar Delivers First I-PACE In U.S. – Owner Not A Fan Of Tesla’s Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first Jaguar I-PACE in North America has officially been delivered.

Jaguar has delivered the first I-PACE in North America to Mark and Holly Pascarella of Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Both of whom are the loyal customers to the brand.

It’s the first electric car in the family and according to Mark Pascarella, the I-PACE better fits his taste than a Tesla or any premium plug-in hybrids (sounds like confirmation that more conservative interiors find fans too).

“I’ve looked at Tesla in the past and was never impressed with their interiors or looks of the car, but when I saw the I-PACE, I said that’s something I’d like to drive.”

“As I mentioned I’m not a fan of Tesla’s finishes and I haven’t been impressed with any of the luxury hybrids out there.”

Jaguar released a full interview with the first owner in North America, who shares his family’s enthusiasm for the I-PACE and talks about how it’s the perfect car for a busy lifestyle.

Are you excited to take delivery of your new Jaguar I-PACE vehicle?

My whole family is excited! When I told my wife, twin 15 year-olds and 18 year-old, they couldn’t believe we would have the first I-PACE delivered in North America, before the vehicle even goes on sale. They couldn’t believe that it would be at our house, and we’re all just extremely excited to have an electric car and even more excited to have another Jaguar. We’re a Jaguar family.

What other Jaguar vehicles have you owned?

I’ve had two XKR models, an XJ, two F-TYPE vehicles and an F-PACE. I have an F-TYPE right now and my daughter has an F-PACE, so this will be our seventh Jaguar. My F-TYPE R is so much fun to drive. I’ve had it two and half years now, and people turn their head every time I pull up somewhere. They’re always telling me how beautiful the car is. It’s racing red with a black interior and a black top with gorgeous 20-inch wheels. It’s just a beautiful car and with the big supercharged V8, everyone hears you pull up. I wish I had a chance to take it on a racetrack, but I just don’t have the time.

What attracted you to the I-PACE?

When you have a family of five you always need space, so we were looking for an SUV. We’ve always had a seven-passenger SUV, but one of my daughters just went off to college, so now a five-passenger SUV will be large enough. When I looked at the I-PACE I could see that it was a typical first-class product made by Jaguar, with top of the line appointments and great looks. It doesn’t look like a typical SUV, and on top of that, being electric was very appealing. I’ve looked at Tesla in the past and was never impressed with their interiors or looks of the car, but when I saw the I-PACE, I said that’s something I’d like to drive. My wife loved it as well. She’ll probably drive it more than I do because she sells real estate and that’s what she’ll take clients out in. It’s definitely going to be a conversation piece and everyone’s going to be looking at her when she’s driving it around the neighborhood. When we go out to dinner with the family I can’t fit everybody in the F-TYPE so having the I-PACE available, with its space and luxury, will be great. We’ll also use it when we travel to see family during the holidays.

What do you do on the weekends for fun?

We’re a very busy family. The kids are involved in marching band so we go to all their competitions and events. We love to go to the theatre and we love to go out to dinner. We probably eat out 6-7 days a week. I’m a big sports nut, we support our local teams here. We entertain a lot, and we’re constantly on the go, I don’t like to sit still. I love to play golf, I play at least four times a week. Besides my wife and my three daughters it’s my passion.

How much did you know about EV technology before buying the I-PACE?

I didn’t know much about EV technology before buying the I-PACE. I’ve read up online and I love techy stuff. I love computers and the latest audio and visual technology, and I love cars. I’m a car nut.

Have you owned an EV before?

I haven’t. As I mentioned I’m not a fan of Tesla’s finishes and I haven’t been impressed with any of the luxury hybrids out there. The I-PACE will be our first EV and we couldn’t be more excited about it. Especially my kids. Getting the first one in the country is going to be amazing.

Crown Jaguar, in St. Petersburg has been phenomenal for us. The service I get from them is fantastic, and that made a big difference too. They’re 35 miles from my house but I’ve bought six Jaguar vehicles from them including this I-PACE just because of the service level I get from those guys. I trust them and feel good about what they do. I know they’re going to take care of me.

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're all as concerned about climate change as much as we claim we should be happy there are more choices becoming available, and people are finding a BEV that they like. From that standpoint I welcome the I-Pace, inasmuch as it creates more "buzz" around EVs.

But boy is that thing a "stuck in the 90s" unimaginative ugly turd. WTF is up with that huge, unneeded grill? I can see why he'd like it, though. His house, and his "trophy car" collection speak of vacuous vapidity.

I've never been a fan of, or seen the appeal of Jaguar. Between the declining/poor quality, and the multiple buyouts Jaguar really hasn't been anything "special" for about 40 years. This car doesn't change my mind at all.

And given this guy's apparent ignorance of the EV lifestyle, combined with the limitations of this car I really don't see him being much of an EV ambassador moving forward. The limitations will become a reason for him to go back to one of his other cars, and use the poor design choices of Jaguar on the I-Pace as a reason why "EVs are not practical."

• Disagree
Reactions: jas
Hope he likes spending time at the repair shop. Jags are good for one thing driving from the repair shop. Next day two it back!

Ha! I will probably get downvoted for this, but I tell people that owning a Tesla is a lot like owning a Jag - lots of trips to the shop. Love the car, but I usually don't even make it home from the service center before I have something else to add to my "next time at the SC" fix list.

Current list includes a broken door handle and leaking air suspension on the P85D and a hesitating charge port door and smelly AC on the 3. It seems like one of them always needs to be booked for something, especially when you add in normal maintenance like tires.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I was following Tesla closely before they had their first SuperCharger.

So many people forget that the original Roadster had no supercharging infrastructure when it was released in 2008. With a range of less than 250 miles. It wasn't until 4 years after the release that Tesla started the supercharging infrastructure. Yet here, Jag are being castrated for it.

If every car manufacturer had charging networks it would ruin any sort of usability.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Wow. There's a lot of Jag-hate on this thread. Not surprising given the tone of the article to be fair. I did chuckle when I read the article though. I took one look at the perfect-looking family and the guy himself and started stereotyping in my head what I thought he would be like. I read the article itself and it ticked pretty much all of my stereotype checkboxes.

Having said that. I am a massive fan of Tesla myself and love their styling. But I also... Appreciate... Jaguars. And certainly the I-PACE. As a matter of fact I'll be driving one as of April next year. But only for 18 months and only because of a ridiculously good lease offer that I got hold of here in the UK. It made this ~£63,000 vehicle cost around the same per month as a ~£23000 Renault ZOE. With no deposit (down payment).

I would've preferred a Model 3, but that's not an option in the UK at the moment. A very strong contender when the I-PACE goes back, though.

People keep underestimating the CCS deployment. CA already has quite a dense charger network, and even FL (where the family from the blog article lives) has some in the major metro areas. It's already usable for regional driving, and Electrify America has only started deploying their chargers. Hopefully Tesla will find a way to let us use CCS chargers in the future. Yes, many of them are limited to slower charge rates, but then here in CA you often don't get the full Supercharger rate either since the stations are often overcrowded and you have to share with another car anyway.

Attachments

• CCS_CA.jpg
    CCS_CA.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 66
  • CCS_FL.jpg
    CCS_FL.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 44
here in CA you often don't get the full Supercharger rate either since the stations are often overcrowded and you have to share with another car anyway.
Not only that - people should look at the "effective charging rate" which includes wait times. If you have to wait for 30 minutes to charge at 50KW for 30 minutes, that's an effective charge rate of 25KW, not 50KW.

I test drove the i-Pace and thought it was a pretty decent car. I am not a fan of the busy interior but there was a heads up display and a ton of configurable options to play with. Shortly after the test drive we picked up the 2016 i3 which we think works much better as our daily kid hauler.

If we're all as concerned about climate change as much as we claim we should be happy there are more choices becoming available, and people are finding a BEV that they like. From that standpoint I welcome the I-Pace, inasmuch as it creates more "buzz" around EVs.

But boy is that thing a "stuck in the 90s" unimaginative ugly turd. WTF is up with that huge, unneeded grill? I can see why he'd like it, though. His house, and his "trophy car" collection speak of vacuous vapidity.

I've never been a fan of, or seen the appeal of Jaguar. Between the declining/poor quality, and the multiple buyouts Jaguar really hasn't been anything "special" for about 40 years. This car doesn't change my mind at all.

And given this guy's apparent ignorance of the EV lifestyle, combined with the limitations of this car I really don't see him being much of an EV ambassador moving forward. The limitations will become a reason for him to go back to one of his other cars, and use the poor design choices of Jaguar on the I-Pace as a reason why "EVs are not practical."

Grills became unnecessary in *all* cars in the mid-1980s. Grills came back in the mid 1990s - but not because they were functionally necessary. People like grills. The I-Pace's grill is actually functional - it feeds a front wing.

Not unless the car can drive across an ocean. I doubt European Tesla owners can drive all the way to the birthplace of their car using a supercharger network.
I take that as “NO” an iPace “all electric” car cannot drive from coast-to-coast in the US:)

I want competition from other manufacturers, that is how the conversion from fossil fuel to alternative fuels will be successful.

As your local forward observer, I saw a Model S in Rome (Italy) yesterday, Friday. I have yet to see any Superchargers though:-(

Reactions: more863-also
Grills became unnecessary in *all* cars in the mid-1980s. Grills came back in the mid 1990s - but not because they were functionally necessary. People like grills. The I-Pace's grill is actually functional - it feeds a front wing.

Not sure what planet you’re driving on, but grills are, and have been necessary on ICE cars. Without airflow through every one of my ICE cars I would have had baked engines. In fact, my Model 3 even has a necessary grill on it.

Reactions: DragonWatch
I take that as “NO” an iPace “all electric” car cannot drive from coast-to-coast in the US:)

Right now, using just fast chargers, a Jag can drive from Coast to Coast in the USA, . In fact it can do any combination of Tijuana Mexico to Edmonton Alberta, Miami to Nova Scotia to Minneapolis, LA to Salt Lake City, San Diego to Pheonix, all by fast charger.

Just like a Tesla, it can't venture far into North Dakota. And just like a Tesla, it can't drive over the Atlantic Ocean.

I want competition from other manufacturers, that is how the conversion from fossil fuel to alternative fuels will be successful.

As your local forward observer, I saw a Model S in Rome (Italy) yesterday, Friday. I have yet to see any Superchargers though:-(

There are 29 Supercharger stations live in Italy atm, and another 11 are planned.

Last edited:
Not sure what planet you’re driving on, but grills are, and have been necessary on ICE cars. Without airflow through every one of my ICE cars I would have had baked engines. In fact, my Model 3 even has a necessary grill on it.

Yes, there are front air intakes for the cooling systems. For a long time, they were slits under the front bumper. Grills made a comeback for aesthetic reasons.

The Model 3 has frontal air intakes for the cooling systems. The I-Pace has frontal air intakes for the cooling systems. Even the Model S and the Model X have frontal air intakes for the cooling systems. (They're a little too small for the job they have to do, but they are there).

The Model S and Model X have solid fake grills for aesthetic reasons. The I-Pace has a solid fake grill for aesthetic reasons. My ICEV 2nd/fun car has a solid fake grill for aesthetic reasons.

Have a look at a typical GM or Ford ICEV of the 80s:
https://images.honestjohn.co.uk/imagecache/file/width/640/media/10347489/vauxhall-cavalier-mk1-2.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...0px-Ford_Sierra_CLX_1988_zweitürig.jpgcurrent

Or a typical 90s sports car.
https://www.classiccars4sale.net/images/made/images/uploads/c2c/Untitled-5_420_280_84_int_s_c1.jpg

I will give my $0.02 and state that the "grill" on one of the best looking cars of all time (IMO) is at the back.

images-1.jpeg

So now in the same context are people going to peeved that there is no grill on the electric version?

images-1.jpeg

I will give my $0.02 and state that the "grill" on one of the best looking cars of all time (IMO) is at the back.

View attachment 349702

So now in the same context are people going to peeved that there is no grill on the electric version?

View attachment 349703

I was particularly amused by one of the EV YouTube channels, which talked about how the new Porsche Taycan was going to have a Tesla-style frunk.
Even though Porsche's have consistently had frunks since the 1940's.