Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jay Leno 2008 Roadster VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew the VIN of the 2008 Roadster that Jay Leno drives in this video? It has a California plate 63277...is this some kind of test registration?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.24.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.24.35 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
So here's the story. May 22, 2010 was the first Roadster Rally organized by the LA Tesla Club founders. Of course I wanted to go. BUT...
the Green Machine <------ was in service for an obscure intermittent problem and they hadn't tracked it down yet, it was in pieces in the Santa Monica (only) center where the rally started from. I was pretty upset about missing it, so someone (I think it was Renee but not certain) complained to someone (I think it was Elon) to DO SOMETHING. Anyway, I got to go on the rally in the black Roadster, driven by Peter Rawlinson (now Lucid CEO). They both referred to it as VP1, Elon's car. Or maybe I'm having a senior moment, and they did actually say F1.

Paging @TEG ...

IMG_0342.JPG

The vehicle in that video is indeed Founders Series 1, which was commonly referred to as the first official production Roadster, and is still Elon’s personal Roadster to this day.

For posterity’s sake, Validation Prototype 1 or VP1 was Signature Green paint.

Reactions: Sig72 and Lou B
I missed this thread before... Anyways 63277 is Telsa manufacturer (not dealer) plates.
Tesla owns all their "stores" so doesn't need to have "dealer" plates since they don't have "dealerships."
( I think Tesla may have some little used dealer plates with a different number.
The California DMV gives manufacturers and dealers multiple of similar plates to put on many vehicles at once.
There is a small indicator on the plates that says MFG or DLR to differentiate.)
The plates will have a sequence number like 63277 MFG 2A since they get a bunch to share among whatever cars they want to drive around before they are sold to a customer.

Founders' 1 Roadster was eventually registered to Elon in California as "Tesla P1" which is a little odd because many refer to "Signature 100 #1" Roadster as "P1", and Elon's first Roadster is more like "F1"... But who could argue what he decides...
Tesla-p1.png

"P1" or "F1" (or whatever you want to call it) lives in Texas now... I think it went back on Tesla manufacturer plates for special events.
I heard it may be going on display at the Petersen museum Tesla exhibit in Los Angeles for a little while now.

If someone says "Tesla #1" there are multiple cars to consider all with "VIN ...0001"
2006 EP1 was obsidian black and was arguably the first Roadster, but was a prototype and probably scrapped.
2007 VP1 Signature Green
2008 Founders' 1 jet black above delivered Feb 2008
Sig100#1 delivered approx Oct 2008
By the way, does anyone know the whereabouts of Sig100#1? I think it was delivered to San Francisco, but I haven't noticed it being spotted in all these years.

(RIP slcasner...)

Last edited:
I always assumed that Sig100 #1 was Elon's car. How did you determine that it's not the same car? Does Elon's P1 have a Founder's VIN?
I've never seen Elon's car in person to read the VIN, but I have seen Martin's and can confirm it is F2. Martin said something about how his car should've been F1 but Elon got his way. Therefore, Elon's car is Founder's Edition #1 of 27 ;).

IMG_7574.jpeg

I always assumed that Sig100 #1 was Elon's car. How did you determine that it's not the same car? Does Elon's P1 have a Founder's VIN?

SFZRE11B963E00001 EP1
SFZRE11B773V00001 VP1
SFZRE11B183F00001 Founders' 1
SFZRE11B981000001 Sig100 #1

E=Engineering/Evaluation (prototype)
V=Validation/Verification (prototype/pseudo-production)
F=Founders' (early production)
0=Regular production
In the early days (e.g., 2008) they were running concurrently so there are 2008 models Founders', VPs, and regular production.

Last edited:
Reactions: eHorses
So here's the story. May 22, 2010 was the first Roadster Rally organized by the LA Tesla Club founders. Of course I wanted to go. BUT...
the Green Machine <------ was in service for an obscure intermittent problem and they hadn't tracked it down yet, it was in pieces in the Santa Monica (only) center where the rally started from. I was pretty upset about missing it, so someone (I think it was Renee but not certain) complained to someone (I think it was Elon) to DO SOMETHING. Anyway, I got to go on the rally in the black Roadster, driven by Peter Rawlinson (now Lucid CEO). They both referred to it as VP1, Elon's car. Or maybe I'm having a senior moment, and they did actually say F1.

Paging @TEG ...

View attachment 726879
Excellent!