Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JCP&L Rates without EV-Driven program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted to install the Tesla wall charger instead of a JuiceBox/other supported hardware, and am therefore not eligible for the install rebate OR the hourly off-peak charging discount.

Setting aside whether or not that was a good decision ... I had a difficult time figuring out what the deal was with peak/off-peak times, and the rate I was being charged per kwh.

I spoke to someone and thought I'd share what I found for anyone who's in the same boat.

There are two residential rate plans: Standard (RS) and Time of Day (RT). The rates fluctuate by season, but right now the rates are (approximately) as follows:

RT - Offpeak (9pm - 9am) - $0.098/kwh
RT - Peak (9am - 9pm) - $0.17/kwh

RS - $0.11 For the first 600kwh/month, $0.16/kwh beyond that

I was on RS, so my "start charging at midnight" scheduling wasn't saving me any money.

To switch to RT, I have to get a different meter installed, which is free, and I don't need to be home for. The new meter supports both RT and RS, so if at any point in the future I want to go back to RS, I can call them up to change it.

Hope this helps someone who had the same question as me, sorry if this post is a duplicate (it's my first!) but like I said I wasn't able to find any info for this specific use case.

I have solar (no battery) that produces enough to cover all my consumption and EV charging. I currently have the RS rate plan and monthly bill is just $3.25 for the connection fee. I was looking into switching to RT rate plan but it doesn't look like I will be benefiting from it. RT has higher monthly connection fee and I'm not sure how it works with the 1:1 net metering.

There is also an EV Net Off-Peak Rate Credit Program offered with $0.02/kWh for off peak EV charging with approved chargers. Again not sure how this works with the 1:1 net metering and solar.

I opted to install the Tesla wall charger instead of a JuiceBox/other supported hardware, and am therefore not eligible for the install rebate OR the hourly off-peak charging discount.

Setting aside whether or not that was a good decision ... I had a difficult time figuring out what the deal was with peak/off-peak times, and the rate I was being charged per kwh.

I spoke to someone and thought I'd share what I found for anyone who's in the same boat.

There are two residential rate plans: Standard (RS) and Time of Day (RT). The rates fluctuate by season, but right now the rates are (approximately) as follows:

I was on RS, so my "start charging at midnight" scheduling wasn't saving me any money.

To switch to RT, I have to get a different meter installed, which is free, and I don't need to be home for. The new meter supports both RT and RS, so if at any point in the future I want to go back to RS, I can call them up to change it.

Hope this helps someone who had the same question as me, sorry if this post is a duplicate (it's my first!) but like I said I wasn't able to find any info for this specific use case.
Fantastic info… didn’t know a time of day plan existed from JCPL. Did u make the change? ( I live in Brick… home to one of the 4 new supercharger locations for 2023)

I made the change from RS (Standard) rates, to RT (Time of use) rates, and I am enrolled in the EV Driven program. I have been reconciling / tracking costs here. I do not have solar.

One note: The EV Driven program actually gives you two separate $0.02/KWH credits for charging off peak, for a total of $0.04/KWH credit.

Long story short:
1) During summer months, I will be saving probably 15% by using Time of Use rates.
2) During non summer months, there won't be much difference, but I will still be saving slightly with Time of Use rates.
3) The more you charge, the more you will save by going to RT rates.

Summer month EV Charging rates (including EV Driven Credits for charging off peak):
RS Rates: $0.187 / KWH
RT Rates: $0.075 / KWH

Non Summer month EV Charging Rates:
RS Rates: $0.105 / KWH
RT Rates: $0.080 / KWH

I'm looking to sign up for the discounted rate also after I can get the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger installed.
I just purchased the Model Y and I need to get an electrician to install a Wall Charger. JCP&L EV Driven Customer Program provides for the cost of an electrician up to $1500 if you install it with a qualified Level 2 charger. I want to get the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger but I don't know if it's a qualified Level 2 Charger. I tried call the EV Driven Program but the lady wasn't helpful and I've emailed them three times but no reply. I 'm wondering if you took advantage of the electrician incentive and if it was a Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger model# 1457768-XY-Z Energy Star Certified that you installed?

Which model Tesla Wall Charger did you install? I read the JCP&L EV Driven Customer Program Guide and it stated that
''EVSE purchased and installed after January 18, 2023 must meet the product specifications of the “Energy Star Program Requirements Product Specification for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment” in accordance with N.J.S.A. 52:27D-141.21."
The Tesla Wall Charger that came out in March 2023 meets the Energy Star Program requirements. It's model 1457768-XY-Z but I can't get anyone for the Program to confirm it's qualified or not. There might be other requirements but I can't find out one way or another. You are the only person I know who said that you were not eligible with a Tesla Wall Charger. Was your charger the one I mentioned above? I am going through the same thing you are. I was going to switch from standard meter to Time of Day meter and they needed to change my meter also. I opted to wait until I installed a charger, preferably the Tesla Gen 3 Wall Charger. Any info you can provide about you've not being eligible being because of the Tesla Wall Charger model or Tesla Wall charger in general is greatly appreciated as I am pulling my hair out trying to get an answer about Tesla's Gen 3 Wall charger model 1457768-XY-Z. If it isn't eligible for the electrician incentive then I might have to go with the Juicebox but I really want the Tesla Gen 3 as I already ordered it through Amazon. But I'll return it if I have to. TIA for any help you or anyone can give.

To avoid any issues, I would not consider a charger that is not specifically listed as eligible for the program. in this document:

All of the valid chargers are listed on page 11 and 12. None of the Tesla wall units are currently listed. I personally went with the ChargePoint CPH50 (aka home Flex) and I'm very happy with it. The ChargePoint is also listed on the NJ EVChargup program for an additional $250 rebate.

To avoid any issues, I would not consider a charger that is not specifically listed as eligible for the program. in this document:

All of the valid chargers are listed on page 11 and 12. None of the Tesla wall units are currently listed. I personally went with the ChargePoint CPH50 (aka home Flex) and I'm very happy with it. The ChargePoint is also listed on the NJ EVChargup program for an additional $250 rebate.
Yeah, I called them again today and I got someone who knew all about the Program. She said that the only Tesla chargers that qualify are their DCFC chargers. None of their Level 2 chargers qualify because Tesla don't and won't make the usage data available on their charger box. That is one of the criteria for JCP&L giving residential customer a rebate on the installation as long as the customer install a box that JCP&L can pull data from. When you apply for the electrician incentive you have to get one of their approved charger which they can pull usage data from you and for a 2 year commitment. She also said the list of qualifying chargers is up to date on the link you provided. Oh well, my electrician is charging me $800 for a 60 amp hard wire (#4) and a 14-50 (#6) outlet with PVC conduits and a Hubbel commercial outlet . I told him I'll give him the full $1500 just put it on the invoice/bill.

Reactions: Joey D

What amperage are you running it at? The maximum awg that you can use on ChargePoint is #6 which means you should not use a breaker great than 50amps. You need 60amp breaker to get 48A. And for 60 amps you use #4 awg. There is a major safety issue with ChargePoint Chargers not accepting #4 awg wire.

What amperage are you running it at? The maximum awg that you can use on ChargePoint is #6 which means you should not use a breaker great than 50amps. You need 60amp breaker to get 48A. And for 60 amps you use #4 awg. There is a major safety issue with ChargePoint Chargers not accepting #4 awg wire.
I am running at the "full" 48 amps charging. This is done to code and within ChargePoint spec by doing the following:

1) 60 Amp Circuit / circuit breaker
2) Direct Wired to the CharePoint (no receptacles).
3) Use #6 / 2 MC (Armored) Cable.

This is an example of the cable.

The MC Cable is run from the panel to a switch (in my case, because my panel is not in my garage), to the EVSE. Here's a couple pic sof my installation. You have to ask your electrician, but they probably even prefer to work with the #6/2 MC vs #4 conductors. Cost might be a wash.

Installed 2.jpgInstalled 1.jpg

Last edited:
...my electrician is charging me $800 for a 60 amp hard wire (#4) and a 14-50 (#6) outlet with PVC conduits and a Hubbel commercial outlet . I told him I'll give him the full $1500 just put it on the invoice/bill.
I would advise against using a receptable for loads over 40 AMPs. (In fact, ChargePoint does not allow it). The single greatest point of failure with these systems is the receptacles. I would strongly advise using one of the following...no matter which EVSE you choose:

1) 50 Amp Circuit, 40 Amp charging via an installation with 6/2 Romex and a 14-50 NEMA outlet
or
2) 60 Amp Circuit, 48 Amp charging via an installation with 6/2 MC, direct wired to the charger.

Also note: if you are installing a receptacle, code might require the circuit to be GFCI protected. This can cause an issue with chargers that have built in protection and can cause nuisance trips. So if you are going with a receptacle, check if your installation requires GFCI circuit breaker, and if it does, choose an EVSE that does not have built in GFCI protection itself or does not otherwise cause nuisance trips.

I know that receptacles can provide flexibility, but they have their downsides as well.

Last edited:
I would advise against using a receptable for loads over 40 AMPs. (In fact, ChargePoint does not allow it). The single greatest point of failure with these systems is the receptacles. I would strongly advise using one of the following...no matter which EVSE you choose:

1) 50 Amp Circuit, 40 Amp charging via an installation with 6/2 Romex and a 14-50 NEMA outlet
or
2) 60 Amp Circuit, 48 Amp charging via an installation with 6/2 MC, direct wired to the charger.

Also note: if you are installing a receptacle, code might require the circuit to be GFCI protected. This can cause an issue with chargers that have built in protection and can cause nuisance trips. So if you are going with a receptacle, check if your installation requires GFCI circuit breaker, and if it does, choose an EVSE that does not have built in GFCI protection itself or does not otherwise cause nuisance trips.

I know that receptacles can provide flexibility, but they have their downsides as well.
I am asking him to install both a hardwire to a Juicebox 48 (JCP&L will cover the installation with a Juicebox 48 but not with a Tesla Wall Connector) and a 14-50 outlet (Hubbel Industrial Grade)). The hardwire will be #4 MC with 60A breaker and 14-50 will be #6 MC with a 50A breaker, both with PVC conduit. I have a 200A service box with no other breakers greater than 20A. The reason I want a 14-50 is because I have the Tesla Mobile Kit and if something goes wrong with the Juicebox 48, I have the 14-50 Tesla Mobile Kit plug to fall back on. The Juicebox 48 and the 14-50 outlet will have a 16-17 feet run to the breaker box.
Do you think this set up is good?

I am asking him to install both a hardwire to a Juicebox 48 (JCP&L will cover the installation with a Juicebox 48 but not with a Tesla Wall Connector) and a 14-50 outlet (Hubbel Industrial Grade)). The hardwire will be #4 MC with 60A breaker and 14-50 will be #6 MC with a 50A breaker, both with PVC conduit. I have a 200A service box with no other breakers greater than 20A. The reason I want a 14-50 is because I have the Tesla Mobile Kit and if something goes wrong with the Juicebox 48, I have the 14-50 Tesla Mobile Kit plug to fall back on. The Juicebox 48 and the 14-50 outlet will have a 16-17 feet run to the breaker box.
Do you think this set up is good?
Correction....#4 THHN and #6 THHN both in PVC conduit.
Do you think this set up is good or overkill?

Correction....#4 THHN and #6 THHN both in PVC conduit.
Do you think this set up is good or overkill?
Well, you do get added flexibility, and provided that the 14-50 outlet is used essentially as a spare (or maybe for visitors), then it's a good set-up. If you get a second EV in the future, you could "semi-permanently" hook up a 40 or 32 Amp EVSE to the outlet. The only thing you don't want to do is be plugging and unplugging a charger to the outlet on a daily basis. Forward thinking and two circuits will always give more flexibility than one.

Overkill? Only you can decide if the extra installation cost is worth it. ;) If you have room in your panel...then go for it. For me, I'm about at my limit so two circuits isn't really in the cards for me unless I upgrade my home service to 400 Amps. If I want to simultaneously charge two cars in my garage, I will have to change my EVSE to a unit (like Juicebox) where I can install two on the same circuit and they will load share. Though personally, I don't think I'll ever really "need" to charge two cars the same night...even if we get a second EV.

If you haven't already, don't forget to look into JCP&L changing your meter and service to "RT" (Residential Time-of-Day). More than likely, this will save you some money, especially in the Summer months.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcaegis45
Well, you do get added flexibility, and provided that the 14-50 outlet is used essentially as a spare (or maybe for visitors), then it's a good set-up. If you get a second EV in the future, you could "semi-permanently" hook up a 40 or 32 Amp EVSE to the outlet. The only thing you don't want to do is be plugging and unplugging a charger to the outlet on a daily basis. Forward thinking and two circuits will always give more flexibility than one.

Overkill? Only you can decide if the extra installation cost is worth it. ;) If you have room in your panel...then go for it. For me, I'm about at my limit so two circuits isn't really in the cards for me unless I upgrade my home service to 400 Amps. If I want to simultaneously charge two cars in my garage, I will have to change my EVSE to a unit (like Juicebox) where I can install two on the same circuit and they will load share. Though personally, I don't think I'll ever really "need" to charge two cars the same night...even if we get a second EV.

If you haven't already, don't forget to look into JCP&L changing your meter and service to "RT" (Residential Time-of-Day). More than likely, this will save you some money, especially in the Summer months.
Thanks for your input and advise.
What do you think if I left the 14-50 plug from the Tesla Mobile Kit in the outlet and electric tape the other end and if I ever need to use it unwrap the tape and I just plug it into the Tesla main unit?
This way I'm not degrading the 14-50 outlet.

Thanks for your input and advise.
What do you think if I left the 14-50 plug from the Tesla Mobile Kit in the outlet and electric tape the other end and if I ever need to use it unwrap the tape and I just plug it into the Tesla main unit?
This way I'm not degrading the 14-50 outlet.
I don't think you need to take it that far. :) Keep the entire mobile unit (including the 14-50 plug) with you in the car, and just leave the outlet "unused" unless you have the occasion to actually need it. You just don't want to 'plug it in and unplug it' every day.

Reactions: kcaegis45

Joey,
Did you get the installation rebate of up to $1500 by JCP&L? and the $250 rebate from NJ EVChargup program? I read on Amazon on the ChargePoint Home Flex "hardwired" someone was rejected for the rebate when they submitted the hardwired one. And looking on the list it only mentioned the plug in models, "CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23" and CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23. No mention of the Hardwired.
Did you get both rebates or just the $250 rebate? You did mention you're running full 48A.

Joey,
Did you get the installation rebate of up to $1500 by JCP&L? and the $250 rebate from NJ EVChargup program? I read on Amazon on the ChargePoint Home Flex "hardwired" someone was rejected for the rebate when they submitted the hardwired one. And looking on the list it only mentioned the plug in models, "CPH50-NEMA6-50-L23" and CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23. No mention of the Hardwired.
Did you get both rebates or just the $250 rebate? You did mention you're running full 48A.
I am still waiting on the "JCP&L Make Ready" ($1500 rebate), and the NJEVChargup program rebate ($250). On my last bill however, I did start receiving the JCP&L $0.04 credit for charging off hours (which has the same list of required chargers.)

The JCP&L program statues that they have 45 days to issue the check. That turns out to be labor day....so I'll be following up with them in early September.

Also, technically I did purchase the CPH50-NEMA14-50 unit. The ChargePoint sells 3 SKUs: NEMA6-50, NEMA14-50 and "hardwired". All three units are identical (and support all Amperages). The only difference is that the NEMA units include the relevant (user removable) plug. I bought the 14-50 unit and (per instructions) removed the plug and hard wired it. If I recall, I wasn't even aware they sold a "hardwired only" SKU when I bought it....I thought you just purchased one of the plug SKUs and removed the plug. It's possible that the "hardwire only" SKU is a recent addition that JCP&L has not added to their list yet.

If you configure the 14-50 with the plug, you are limited to 40 Amps...but when you remove it and hardwire it, you can set it to 48.

Last edited:
Also, technically I did purchase the CPH50-NEMA14-50 unit. The ChargePoint sells 3 SKUs: NEMA6-50, NEMA14-50 and "hardwired". All three units are identical (and support all Amperages). The only difference is that the NEMA units include the relevant (user removable) plug. I bought the 14-50 unit and (per instructions) removed the plug and hard wired it. If I recall, I wasn't even aware they sold a "hardwired only" SKU when I bought it....I thought you just purchased one of the plug SKUs and removed the plug. It's possible that the "hardwire only" SKU is a recent addition that JCP&L has not added to their list yet.

If you configure the 14-50 with the plug, you are limited to 40 Amps...but when you remove it and hardwire it, you can set it to 48.
When you applied for the JCP&L $1500, does it require a copy of the of the receipt and/or a picture of the of the unit with the model# and serial#? Or does it just require just the input of info but must retain a copy of the info? The $250 rebate from NJ Chargeup, I read you need to actually submit proof of purchase and scanned photo of the serial#. Did you need to actually submit proof to JCP&L? I assume the unit itself would be the same for all three units just that the Hardwired one would not come with a plug but my assumption might be wrong. So I wonder how they know which one one has. Does it actually states it on the unit "CPH50-NEMA14-50-L23" on yours? The plug ones are $45 more than just the Hardwired version on Amazon.
After reading the reviews for both Juicebox 48 and ChargePoint Home Flex, ChargePoint has a lot less dissatisfied customers than Juicebox, 8% vs 29%. I ordered the Juicebox for $599 the other day and the ChargePoint is going for $645. Now I'm not sure which one I want. I already returned the Tesla Wall Connect. This is killing me. LOL. Your input is greatly appreciated.