Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy to Launch Next Month, Musk Says He's Sending His Roadster to Mars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joke? Musk says his Roadster is going to be the cargo for first Falcon Heavy

Elon Musk on Twitter

I guess, they will need to use airless tires...

Michelin-Airless-Tires2-610x406.jpg

Elon has announced the payload for the first FH flight. Today he tweeted:

94F77E18-A373-4BA7-B5C3-F4C36F0D00EC.jpeg

————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Wow. As a Roadster owner this actually makes me sad. They only made 2,500 of them and I hate to lose any of them. But on the other hand... it’s kind of cool to think that a Tesla Roadster has a shot at near immortality! It sure won’t last that long on Earth, I can guarantee that.

I’m also laughing because earlier this year, when speculation on the first FH payload was running rampant, I tweeted Elon and proposed that the FH payload be a Tesla Model 3 pre-production car (early test vehicles that will never be sold, only crushed at some point).
So maybe he saw my tweet and I contributed to his idea in some small way. But probably not!

Elon has announced the payload for the first FH flight. Today he tweeted:

View attachment 264038
————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Wow. As a Roadster owner this actually makes me sad. They only made 2,500 of them and I hate to lose any of them. But on the other hand... it’s kind of cool to think that a Tesla Roadster has a shot at near immortality! It sure won’t last that long on Earth, I can guarantee that.

I’m also laughing because earlier this year, when speculation on the first FH payload was running rampant, I tweeted Elon and proposed that the FH payload be a Tesla Model 3 pre-production car (early test vehicles that will never be sold, only crushed at some point).
So maybe he saw my tweet and I contributed to his idea in some small way. But probably not!

I... I can't tell if he's joking....

LOL... what's the 0-60 time of a Tesla in a FH?

Reactions: Grendal
And he’s going to put the payload into orbit around Mars. Since a Roadster is a very light payload for an FH (and I suspect they may remove the battery first making it really light) my guess is that they can get it into Earth orbit without using the second stage engin at all. Then fire the second stage once to send it towards Mars, upon approach to the planet flip the stage/payload and do another fire for Mars orbit insertion.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
No way the second stage will last that long, LOX will boil off long before arrival w/o extensive modification and batteries for second stage only last for 24 hours. If they're actually going to circularize around mars they'll use a hyperbolic, a solid or some form of ion thruster.

Reactions: jkn
As far as anyone outside of SpaceX knows, the FH that will be launched next month has no third stage or any engine attached to the payload section.

If Elon is serious then it is certainly possible to attach a small engine and even some maneuvering thrusters to the car as needed. The fairing can fit something the size of a school bus. That gives enough space for add on options.

I think Tesla should add an original Roadster ordering page where they have the engine and maneuvering thruster options priced. It should also have shipping fees for Mars.