Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox vs. Siemens Versicharge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at these 2 ESVEs. At Costco, they are doing a $70 off the Versicharge. This brings it down to $390 before tax. The Juicebox Pro 40 amps is faster and sleeker. But it's also priced @ $550.

I read about some charging issues between the Versicharge and the Model 3. Has that been sorted out?

Any suggestions on which one to get? The electrician will be coming to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet for the Juicebox..seeing this deal on the Versicharge is making me reconsider.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I am looking at these 2 ESVEs. At Costco, they are doing a $70 off the Versicharge. This brings it down to $390 before tax. The Juicebox Pro 40 amps is faster and sleeker. But it's also priced @ $550.

I read about some charging issues between the Versicharge and the Model 3. Has that been sorted out?

Any suggestions on which one to get? The electrician will be coming to install the NEMA 14-50 outlet for the Juicebox..seeing this deal on the Versicharge is making me reconsider.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Question: Do you have a reason to require a J1772 unit over a Tesla Wall Connector?

Neither of the units mentioned will max out the charge rate of 48 amps on a Tesla Model 3 LR.

Frankly, the Tesla Wall Connector is the most cost effective EVSE I have seen out there for what you get ($500). It can do up to 80 amps and it can link to up to three other units to load share one circuit. The only downside is that it is a Tesla proprietary connector vs. J1772. (which if you have a Tesla, it is easier to use the Tesla plug rather than having to use an adapter)

I have seen some reports that the Model 3 may now work with the Siemens. I can't imagine any currently sold brand new device would not work. Siemens and Tesla would be on that to make sure any issues were resolved...

The Siemens can only do 30a, and the Juice Box on Costco's site can only do 40a.

While the charging stats of the Juice Box may be quite cool, I think that the future is for the smarts and logging to be built into the car software (or a 3rd party like TeslaFi accessing it via API). I personally want metrics on everything my car does across all places I charge it, not just at home.

I have a 32A J1772 EVSE and I'm looking to swap it or add a Tesla HPWC as well because of the reduced need of an adapter and remote charge port opening.

Unless you have another EV to charge, I'd stick with the Tesla HPWC versus a J1772 EVSE.

Reactions: eprosenx
I’m not sure if I’d get another Tesla. If I end up getting another EV, I may or may not go Tesla.. its really to give me a bit more flexibility.

The other thing is my current panel has a total of 100 amp. Not sure if I have enough flexibility/breaker slots to accommodate.

I’m not sure if I’d get another Tesla. If I end up getting another EV, I may or may not go Tesla.. its really to give me a bit more flexibility.

The other thing is my current panel has a total of 100 amp. Not sure if I have enough flexibility/breaker slots to accommodate.

My current panel only has 100A and I'm still considering a 60A HPWC. Unless you're running a lot of load at your home (full AC + lighting loads etc.), its unlikely you'll be drawing the full 100A or if it you do you can always limit the charging rate on the vehicle itself.

As for the breaker limitation/flexibility, the workaround is to do a subpanel.

Yeah, if you have reasons to want to be able to charge a non-Tesla then that is a reason to go J1772, though in general, the Wall Connector from Tesla is more capable and less expensive than many of the solutions. My reading of NEC 625.54 is that IF you have a receptacle wired up (say 6-50 or 14-50) and you plug your EVSE into that, then under 2017 NEC you would be required to spend $100 or more on a GFCI breaker for it which increases your costs. If you hard wire it in (which I *think* the Siemens allows) then you don't need that GFCI breaker.

Now a lot of jurisdictions are seemingly not enforcing that rule, but it is on the books. I personally don't think a receptacle in a dry location is much of a danger, but outside I certainly see the merits.

Note that you can get a Tesla Wall Connector and just crank the setting up or down (providing you install sufficient ampacity wire and a breaker) to match what amount of load capacity you have available on your service/panel. You can crank it as low as like 12/15 amps. It offers a lot of granularity.

While I don't like proprietary, right now I have a hard time arguing to put in a J1772 station over a wall connector since they are generally much less capable than the Tesla solution and often times higher priced. It is crazy that a 40a capable J1772 station is like $550 or more when a Wall Connector good to 80a is only $500 and it can communicate with other units to load share.

Tesla is probably pricing their HPWC close to cost with very margin (10-30%) while the other vendors are probably at 50% or higher margins. Tesla is doing their best to spread the adoption of EV's and keeping charging station costs down is part of that plan.

Reactions: eprosenx
I have a JuiceBox Pro 40 with Wi-Fi and it does the job adequately. I like having the wifi connectivity as you can possibly sign up with some partnering utilities to actually get paid for using it (my utility doesn't do it so I don't know how it works).

I also like the JuiceBox vs most other L2 EVSE's because it uses the 14-50 and that makes it easily portable.