Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought 2015 s85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, this is the first electric car I've owned and I've read conflicting reports about the charging. On the dash it shows from 50-90% daily range. I've read that you should charge from 20-80% on some articles, yet on others I've read that you should charge within the daily range everyday. Could anyone please offer some clarity on this. Absolutely amazing car, even at this age

Congrats.
Best advice is plug it in and enjoy it. I sold my 85D with 80k on the clock. Daily charged to 90%, it had 5% degradation.
I would charge it to 90% daily since it had a bit more "pep" at higher state of charge.
If you plan a long trip charge to 95% and try not to leave it there longer than a couple hours. Over 95% it will not regen on braking, so you lose efficiency.
Dont discharge lower than 10% for extended periods either.

Plug it in and forget it, have fun!

Reactions: DerbyDave
Upvote 0
Hi, this is the first electric car I've owned and I've read conflicting reports about the charging. On the dash it shows from 50-90% daily range. I've read that you should charge from 20-80% on some articles, yet on others I've read that you should charge within the daily range everyday. Could anyone please offer some clarity on this. Absolutely amazing car, even at this age
Unless you really need 90% range on a daily basis, I don't bother. I charge to 70% and keep it plugged in overnight.

I only charge higher when I need more range.

I've noticed that the Battery Management system doesn't come on as often when the SOC is at 70%. Of course this also depends on the current atmospheric ambient temperature.

Upvote 0
Tesla made changes to the software which will have the battery coolant system running non-stop above a certain percentage (and it is audibly detectable; see the discussion at Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked.) Whatever that threshold is for your car, I would suggest daily charging to a level slightly below it, to save wear and tear on that system.

Anecdotally, my 2015 S85D turns the system on at 75%+, so I charge to 70% unless I need the higher range for that day.

Reactions: SilverGS
Upvote 0