Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Hand Model x 60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I’d be grateful for some advice please.
I am considering buying a 2017 Model X 60D (registered 30.3.17) from a non Tesla dealer. A few questions I’d welcome comments on
1. The seller tells me it has transferrable free supercharging. I’ve read conflicting things about this but gather that early 2017 models that haven’t been resold by Tesla should have transferrable free supercharging. Anyone know if this is the case and/or how I might confirm it?
2. I gather it is possible to unlock the additional software locked battery to convert it to a 75D. Anyone able to confirm if this is still the case? I’ve read the cost historically was circa £2.1k. Might having to contact Tesla to unlock the additional battery capacity result in removal of the unlimited supercharging?
3. What is a realistic real world range for a 60D. Obviously this depends on driving style/ use of cabin heating etc. I’ve found with my model2019 3 SR+over my 4 years of ownership I have averaged 220wh/mile which means I have been getting pretty much bang on the Tesla quoted range. Should I expect to get the Tesla quoted range for the X too?

I had a software locked 60D X.

1: Pre March 2017 registered cars have transferable free for life SC only (also will remain VED exempt come 2025).
2: Once the car is registered to you on the App you should be able to see the price of the 'unlock', though in reality probably will only get you an extra 5-10 kWh usable.
3: At 70mph I see 333wh/mile in our X in summer, in winter that can be as high as 500-600wh/mile when starting cold in short city commutes. Range will be far less than a Model 3.

Supercharging should as you've been told carry over to you, but that is supposing Tesla haven't had been owner, even if transitionally as part of a part exchange, in the last couple of years. Dealers buying cars at auction don't necessarily work out it was Tesla who had out the car into auction, but the dealer should be able to tell you more about its history. If the dealer bought it direct from the previous owner and they had it for say 2 years, you should be fine

On supercharging, the good news is with a 60, the bit you're missing is the bit that slows charging down a lot. In other words charging a 60D to say 200 miles range indicated will take the same time as a 75D. If you intend to supercharge a lot you may give up before you use much of the extra capacity because of the time it takes. The bad news is, it will never be really quick compared to M3 or MY when adding range. Add 10kwh to a M3 and you've added 40 miles, add 10kwh to a MX and you've added 30 miles. The most striking thing I noticed when I switched from a MS to a M3 was how much faster it added range.

I'm not convinced you'll find the unlock in the app once you have it, you're more likely to need to raise a service request, but it should still be doable

As for range, real world in winter, you're 150 mile territory

While we can give you advie on what "should probably happen..", only Tesla can really confirm.

On supercharging, the good news is with a 60, the bit you're missing is the bit that slows charging down a lot. In other words charging a 60D to say 200 miles range indicated will take the same time as a 75D.

... and presumably there should be less concern about charging to 100% with regard to potential increased degradation ... because you're not really charging to 100%.

Reactions: Kenners
Add 10kwh to a M3 and you've added 40 miles, add 10kwh to a MX and you've added 30 miles

And, at a "fast" stall, the M3 will add at much higher kW than an MX60.

However, the MX60 is still going to fill up in 20 - 30 minutes, so if only going out of range now-and-again it won't make a lot of difference - by the time you've walked from the supercharger to the services, had a pee and bought a coffee you'll be charged in an MX60 - and be being charged for Overstay Fees in an M3 :)

Thanks all. I’m hopeful the free supercharging should carry over as it doesn’t appear to have been traded in via tesla nor been auctioned. It would be great to have as I live within a few miles of a supercharger so would supercharge regularly rather than just on road trips.
150ish range in the winter would work just fine for us. My driving style has always given me the upper end of range estimates with my 3 I suspect in part because I hardly ever use the cabin heater in winter preferring the seat heaters.
Very tempted as pretty similar range to an ipace and I’d rather stick with Tesla as my M3 has been brilliant.

I bought a car very much along these lines (early 2017 model), under the assumption that the free supercharging would be transferred to me. That didn't happen. Once I 'claimed' the car via my Tesla website account, the free supercharging was removed. The dealer apparently didn't have reason to anticipate that this would happen, so it wasn't exactly his fault -- but never mind, I've ended up paying hundreds more for charging than I anticipated when I bought it.

It would be great to have as I live within a few miles of a supercharger so would supercharge regularly rather than just on road trips.

Are you really going to sit and wait for a charge and not have the convenience of home charging? (assuming you have off road parking)

Assuming you can run it down to 20% routinely, and put 80% in and that takes 30 minutes and adds 120 miles range, plus you had to drive there and back

At Off Peak home rates that would cost you around £3.00

I reckon you'll find that tedious, unless you can do something with your time at that supercharger location.

Reactions: MrBadger
Are you really going to sit and wait for a charge and not have the convenience of home charging? (assuming you have off road parking)

I reckon you'll find that tedious, unless you can do something with your time at that supercharger location.

When we first got our Model 3 we couldn’t charge at home for several months even with mobile connector as it tripped our RCD.

The novelty of the trip to the supercharger every 6-7 or so days wore very thin very quickly. Typically an hours round trip including 20-25min charging. Very glad that period of ownership is over. At least it was warmer than watching footie practice though.

That was a car with ‘310 mile range’ doing daily 24 mile drives, a few short ad hoc journeys and a weekly 50 mile round trip. The rest was ‘it’s not 310 miles range, short trips and time of year wet and cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner

Assuming you can run it down to 20% routinely, and put 80% in and that takes 30 minutes and adds 120 miles range, plus you had to drive there and back

At Off Peak home rates that would cost you around £3.00

I’m there weekly anyway on skating driver/uber Dad duty

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The biggest 'benefit' of free for life Supercharging is it makes European road trips a no-brainer. This year I saved about £400 in SC costs, next year we are off back to 'just' France for some grape juice focused relaxation......shame FSD is no where near ready in Europe :).

53222559664_1760ab89c0_c_d.jpg