Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought Model 3 LR AWD - want a performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the original post yeah if they have the money and want to do it then there is no point asking a forum. 99.9% of people would have to consider the financial implications related to the usage per dollar of that performance. No wonder everyone is going bankrupt and are in debt. This guy will too if he continues to make bad financial decisions. Doesn't matter how much money you have. Who here does not owe any money? I can happily put up my hand, no mortgage debt, car debt or credit card debt but I only drive a LR RWD. So I suggest people use some logic and make smart decisions. If it isn't his money then he can stop and respect his parents money and show some restraint
You sound so deprived;). I don't get the whole fascination with speed. My slow 0-60 in 5.5 seems more than fast enough for my driving situations. I test drove a P3D and thought it was too fast. I'm sure I would do some pretty stupid *sugar* with that kind of power. So for those, like myself that lack self control on occasion, I would stay away from the P.

Reactions: SJC3
Dude, how old are you, 16? Mom and dad bought you a 60k car? WTF has this world come to?

To the OPs actual points, your issue is that you drove the P. The AWD is amazing and fast, but if you drive the P in comparison, it will always win because, it's just fast-er. I made a point to never drive the P, and am exceedingly happy with the performance of the standard AWD.
Welcome to the Orange Curtain. :p

Orange Curtain - Wikipedia

Actually, it's mostly South OC.

Obviously you've never walked around parking lots at USC. They don't call it the University of Spoiled Chinese for nothing.
Actually, I attended USC Med school. So yeah, I've been there. When I was there though, it was University for Spoiled Children. A little less racist, don't you think? Nevertheless, I wasn't one of the spoiled ones. Took me 15 years to pay off my debt.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Hey guys

Long story short I bought a LR AWD model 3 12/30/18. It’s been in the shop for 2 weeks due to paint and wheel defects. I got to drive a performance as a loaner and having srs buyers remorse. Only have 175 miles on the model 3. Besides selling and buying a new car do I have any other options through Tesla directly?

As others have stated...depending on how soon after delivery it’s been in the shop, you might be able to work something out. Best to contact your delivery advisor and also use the escalate link in your Tesla Account. Other than that, it’ll probably be a sell and buy situation. You’ll have to weigh whether the hassle and additional cost will be worth it. Especially since you already have an M3 as a weekend car. IMO the p3d is an awesome daily!! Since you drove both you have a better sense of the difference. The P3D is certainly faster 0-60....but it’ll still pull 60-100. After 90-100, they’re putting down the same power. Took this screenshot from the p3d vs awd dyno thread. Not same exact SOC...but still a good reference. FYI take peak figures with a grain of salt..as it can vary depending on dyno and settings...but these were same dyno same settings. So good comparison p3d vs awd.

81899FA7-4B71-49A2-83A7-EBA14E605E85.png

haha guys keep in mind i have a BMW m3 as my weekend car. I appreciate all the comment guys

Given this info I don't think this move makes much sense unless you also decide you'd rather have the P3D over the BMW. Then sell both cars. The nice thing about a performance Tesla is it is a great practical car too, no need to have one as weekend car, it can be your daily driver.

My other car is a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (4= AWD, S = more HP and torque) which goes 0-60 in the low 3 second range.

I bought an LR AWD Model 3 with 19" wheels, and I'm delighted. Buttmeter agrees with the dyno screenshot above -- that the performance version is faster off the line, but the AWD feels like a rocket if you hammer it from a 20mph rolling start, or above. The instant torque even exceeds the Porsche in some ways.

After the first month of ownership, I feel absolutely no buyers remorse, and really enjoy my AWD. So far, t's bar none the best daily driver I've ever owned. I feel much more inclined to quibble about the lack of Spotify than any lack of power. If anything, I might regret not getting the 18" wheels for improved efficiency.

To the OP -- If you can get into a P model, more power to you. But at the end of the day, you have an amazing car that's faster and more nimble than the vast majority of cars on the road. Enjoy it! If you want something faster, consider it a "hashtag life goal", and get to work. :)

After a few weeks even the P seems slow. But when I drive my wife's ICE car, every once in a while, it feels like the acceleration pedal does nothing other than being a noise maker. Then it feels good again to go back to the P. Its all relative.

If you can afford it you have to go with the P since the AWD is just a software crippled P. Bottom line is I could have never forgiven myself knowing I am driving a purposely crippled car. Tesla could turn a software switch and turn your car instantly into a P. They may do it for a price if you talk to them and express your disappointment in the AWD performance.

And don't forget track mode which is only available on the P. It is a game changer.

Last edited:
Bottom line is I could have never forgiven myself knowing I am driving a purposely crippled car.

I know what you mean, but there's still a relatively large chunk of cash involved in having it unleashed and that cost simply might not be worth it for many people, depending on how the car will be driven. I'm on the fence until I get to drive them both back-to-back. If the AWD feels quick enough then I might save the cash as I did with my MX.

I know what you mean, but there's still a relatively large chunk of cash involved in having it unleashed and that cost simply might not be worth it for many people, depending on how the car will be driven. I'm on the fence until I get to drive them both back-to-back. If the AWD feels quick enough then I might save the cash as I did with my MX.
AWD will be quick enough if you never drive the performance model. Once you drive the P, its all over (of course if you have the money and enjoy that kind of stuff).

I never considered the P because you’re paying so much money just for an additional 1 second acceleration, and I would also need to change to snow tires in the winter which is a hassle. With my aero wheels, I can run all seasons year round. Am I missing something? And with the BMW, at least there are some visual cues with the M3, whereas TESLA only has red calipers.

Have you ever wished you had a rollercoaster in your backyard? If not, move along and let the rest of the people enjoy these silent beasts.

I'm still hoping for a moment when Tesla decides it would like my $3k or so to flip the bit on my AWD to make it more P-like. It would cost them nothing(except a bunch of angry P-from-the-factory owners!) Who knows, maybe they already did it to some and told the owners to keep it quiet....

I'm still hoping for a moment when Tesla decides it would like my $3k or so to flip the bit on my AWD to make it more P-like. It would cost them nothing(except a bunch of angry P-from-the-factory owners!) Who knows, maybe they already did it to some and told the owners to keep it quiet....

I think it's going to take competition to do that. Once 3.0 second 0-60 cars come out tesla will likely do this if they are capable.

AWD will be quick enough if you never drive the performance model. Once you drive the P, its all over (of course if you have the money and enjoy that kind of stuff).

Well I drove the P100D Model X and decided it wasn't worth all the extra money in that package, but might be a bit different with the Model 3 if it handles like a proper sportscar, which it sounds like it does. I can also justify the cost by ditching my Porsche 911 and combining daily driver and serious sports car into one vehicle!

haha guys keep in mind i have a BMW m3 as my weekend car. I appreciate all the comment guys
Sold my 2016 F80 BMW M3.... my Tesla P3D looks better, handles better and is much quicker than the F80. AWD puts down the power whereas the fat arsed BMW traction control would be spastically trying to hold it together. The BMW sucks compared to the Tesla. Also...the interior of the Tesla makes the BMW look like an antique...all the plastic buttons, switches and levers. As a former BMW fan ......I will never buy another BMW ....Tesla is so much better....

PS...cold start on my F80 was ugly...it sounded like a nasty fart box. Tesla is the true ultimate driving machine....BMW doesn’t even compare.

Insurance will cost more.

Remember, if asked, never take a P.
P3D- has nothing in the vin to differentiate it from a regular AWD :) So I don't think my insurance cost any extra.
I never considered the P because you’re paying so much money just for an additional 1 second acceleration, and I would also need to change to snow tires in the winter which is a hassle. With my aero wheels, I can run all seasons year round. Am I missing something? And with the BMW, at least there are some visual cues with the M3, whereas TESLA only has red calipers.

P3d- also comes with aero wheels. I don't like them but I do like the additional range / efficiency from them.

Still waiting for track mode as it was promised!