Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought Model 3 LR AWD - want a performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

Long story short I bought a LR AWD model 3 12/30/18. It’s been in the shop for 2 weeks due to paint and wheel defects. I got to drive a performance as a loaner and having srs buyers remorse. Only have 175 miles on the model 3. Besides selling and buying a new car do I have any other options through Tesla directly?

I also have the dual motor, have not considered or test drive the performance model. Well my parents bought it for me and I didn't want to bug them about paying more for the most expensive version. My main goal was to make sure the Tesla Model 3 had autopilot on it, and I would be willing to skimp on other options like going black for $0. Thankfully they did not try talking me out of not adding autopilot, they just went with it, even though they don't understand how it really works, and they still question it. Any story my mom hears about someone dying in Tesla autopilot, she will assume the idea that Tesla autopilot is truly dangerous She only favors bad news if it goes in favor in what she believes in. But there was a story of say someone died in a gas car that exploded, she would just think its bad luck but still continue driving a gas car.

But I think most Tesla owners who are open minded to a new concept will consider autopilot life threatening. I know it has limits, but even with its limits, I still think its a great feature to have and I've become accustomed on how to use it without being panicky. I hope to eventually use it on a roadtrip or a longer day trip drive, especially if it's 1AM with barely any cars on the road.

I also would not trust my mom to try autopilot because I know she will doubt it and get panicky about it. And if anything spooks her, she may not know what to do. But if she were to drive, I think she wouldn't touch it.

But anyways, the autopilot is the main thing I really enjoy about the car. If buyers remorse wise, I wish my dad didn't buy the M3 and used that money towards a Model 3 performance, but it was 2012 at the time and there was no Model 3 yet.

I also have the dual motor, have not considered or test drive the performance model. Well my parents bought it for me and I didn't want to bug them about paying more for the most expensive version. My main goal was to make sure the Tesla Model 3 had autopilot on it, and I would be willing to skimp on other options like going black for $0. Thankfully they did not try talking me out of not adding autopilot, they just went with it, even though they don't understand how it really works, and they still question it. Any story my mom hears about someone dying in Tesla autopilot, she will assume the idea that Tesla autopilot is truly dangerous She only favors bad news if it goes in favor in what she believes in. But there was a story of say someone died in a gas car that exploded, she would just think its bad luck but still continue driving a gas car.

But I think most Tesla owners who are open minded to a new concept will consider autopilot life threatening. I know it has limits, but even with its limits, I still think its a great feature to have and I've become accustomed on how to use it without being panicky. I hope to eventually use it on a roadtrip or a longer day trip drive, especially if it's 1AM with barely any cars on the road.

I also would not trust my mom to try autopilot because I know she will doubt it and get panicky about it. And if anything spooks her, she may not know what to do. But if she were to drive, I think she wouldn't touch it.

But anyways, the autopilot is the main thing I really enjoy about the car. If buyers remorse wise, I wish my dad didn't buy the M3 and used that money towards a Model 3 performance, but it was 2012 at the time and there was no Model 3 yet.
Dude, how old are you, 16? Mom and dad bought you a 60k car? WTF has this world come to?

To the OPs actual points, your issue is that you drove the P. The AWD is amazing and fast, but if you drive the P in comparison, it will always win because, it's just fast-er. I made a point to never drive the P, and am exceedingly happy with the performance of the standard AWD.

Hey guys

Long story short I bought a LR AWD model 3 12/30/18. It’s been in the shop for 2 weeks due to paint and wheel defects. I got to drive a performance as a loaner and having srs buyers remorse. Only have 175 miles on the model 3. Besides selling and buying a new car do I have any other options through Tesla directly?
since it been in the shop talk to your owner advisor, they maybe able to work something out...

Hey guys

You just have to think of the price difference and what that money actually means to you. If you think the price of the P model is worth it for the added fun factor then I guess you bought the wrong car! If not then enjoy the performance level you have paid for and enjoy spending the money you saved elsewhere. It's as simple as that really.

When I bought our X75D I tried the P100D and didn't think the extra performance was worth all the extra money in such a large SUV that would be mainly used for family transport. But in the M3 I'm likely to buy the Performance model because the difference in cost is not quite so huge and it's more of a compact sporty car by nature.

Did the car go immediately into the shop on delivery? If so you could try and argue you never got your 2 day return period to actually try it out.

If not you'd be looking at trading it in for a P- the bad news is you'll likely lose money. The good news is since you got the $7500 tax credit for your AWD, and would get another $3750 one for the P, the loss might not be THAT bad depending on what they offer you for your AWD.

• Love
Reactions: 1375mlm and ecarfan
just be happy and drive your car. there will always be remorse of not getting the highest one. after i got the p3d-, we got a used x. even though the 3 has EAP (with FSD in the future) and is noticeably faster, i wish i had just gotten the x first, especially for the same price. then maybe we would have had 2 x's. the auto doors, more room, suspension, and "modelxmas" just blows me away each time.

Hey guys

There's a guy on YouTube with the channel "Engineering Explained" (pretty good channel IMO), anyway, he bought the Mid Range RWD and got buyer's remorse and traded for a Performance. He has a video up about it.

**edit I was beaten to it, with a link no less! :D

Last edited:
There's a guy on YouTube with the channel "Engineering Explained" (pretty good channel IMO), anyway, he bought the Mid Range RWD and got buyer's remorse and traded for a Performance. He has a video up about it.

**edit I was beaten to it, with a link no less! :D
This is much more of an apples to oranges comparison than the OP is considering. The MR RWD is a much different animal than the P AWD. The difference between the P and non-P AWD is much smaller, IMO.

It all comes down to your finances. Naturally people want a higher model of anything. If you can afford it, go for it. Talk to Tesla and see how much they will offer you. If not, don’t worry about it. The non P awd is still a beast and pulls like a dream.

This is much more of an apples to oranges comparison than the OP is considering. The MR RWD is a much different animal than the P AWD. The difference between the P and non-P AWD is much smaller, IMO.

Well you're right of course, and if prizes were given for stating the obvious, you'd definitely win something. I was thinking more about the how, not the why aspect of the OP's question. I don't think they are considering the pros and cons, just the logistics of the transaction.