Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just delivered - Functionality Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all. I took delivery of my LR AWD, w/FSD yesterday - No issues whatsoever, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with to determine if "normal".... My firmware is 2019.15.103.

1. How cold does your AC get? Driving home yesterday, and set at the coldest setting (fan on 5), the car struggled to keep the interior livable, although somewhat cool air was coming out (but not cold). It was a sunny day, but only around 70 degrees out? I tried manual and automatic modes.

2. When charging, is the screen supposed to stay on displaying charging status? If so, is there any way to turn it off while charging to save screen and energy? Seems like a waste...

3. Tire noise - I seem to have more than I expected, but I haven't checked the tire pressure yet as that could be the culprit. It's possible the SC didn't check or adjust prior to delivery. What has your experience been?

4. What do you do to prevent whiplash when accelerating? (smile)

5. Browser seems "castrated" and not even able to play YouTube videos. Is there a fix?

Thank you!

Hello all. I took delivery of my LR AWD, w/FSD yesterday - No issues whatsoever, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with to determine if "normal".... My firmware is 2019.15.103.

1. How cold does your AC get? Driving home yesterday, and set at the coldest setting (fan on 5), the car struggled to keep the interior livable, although somewhat cool air was coming out (but not cold). It was a sunny day, but only around 70 degrees out? I tried manual and automatic modes.

2. When charging, is the screen supposed to stay on displaying charging status? If so, is there any way to turn it off while charging to save screen and energy? Seems like a waste...

3. Tire noise - I seem to have more than I expected, but I haven't checked the tire pressure yet as that could be the culprit. It's possible the SC didn't check or adjust prior to delivery. What has your experience been?

5. Browser seems "castrated" and not even able to play YouTube videos. Is there a fix?

Thank you!
1. You seem to be using Manual mode. Is the AC button blue or grayed-out? Turn it on. OR just use Auto setting. What temperature did you set it to? You only mentioned fan speed. Depending on outside temperature the car will use the AC more or less. If it is 70 outside, you need to set it for colder than that. I find in summer with AC on, 68-72 is the perfect range and the car gets cold fairly quickly. You will hear the fan blowing air.

2. If you are in the car the screen stays on. If you leave and the car locks the screen turns off.

3. My tires are very quiet. It may just be the roads you are driving on.

4. That's part of the fun. You don't need to press the pedal very far to get comfortable acceleration.

5. The browser is mostly useless unless sitting still. I do not believe video is supported.

Welcome!

Ridiculously cold. Either it's user error or you have a problem. I guess I'm a bit concerned when you said you have the fan set at 5. I'm not even sure I was aware you could control the fan speed, as I just always have it in AUTO mode. I know in my wife's car I suffered one day because I thought it was in AUTO mode, but it was not and it turns out the AC wasn't even on. I know you said you tried AUTO mode, but I think you want to make sure that the AC is actually on.

Mine doesn't stay on long at all. I WISH it would stay on for a minute longer. Mine turns off after about 30-60 seconds. How long did you wait?

This is probably a subjective assessment. I can only say that mine seems as good as my LEAF's was, which is a LOT better than my wife's Chevy Volt was. Whatever noise I have is fine with me. You may be more sensitive than me, or maybe there is a tire inflation issue.

Lean your head back into the headrest before you hit the accelerator.

Well, Elon has said that they will be adding Netflix in the future, but sheesh, it's a car browser. I know I certainly did not expect it to be playing YouTube when I got mine (actually when I got mine it didn't have a browser at all).

Reactions: jebinc
Thanks all (and to those who have yet to post thoughts)

I was running the AC in manual mode at the time. Set Temp to lowest settings and turned the fan up. The AC button was "Blue". Shouldn't it have gotten frigid in there?

Whiplash question was rhetorical (meant for light humor)

Every time I enter the garage with the car charging, I inside is light up due to the screen displaying charging status. Perhaps it sees my phone key and turns on before I see it turn back on for me approaching?

My tires were nearly at 50psi (cold), so I lowered to 42PSI (per door sticker). I also installed these, which I purchased before taking delivery. Looking forward to a test drive after I put two coats of ceramic glass on the car later today. Please note, the road noise wasn't terrible, just a bit louder than I had expected. I suspect with the above adjustments, it will be almost whisper quiet.

Forgot a question: Is here any way to put the display in "Full Screen" mode? At certain times, that would be advantageous..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R13DYYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
My car gets really cold. Put it on auto, set the temp to something normal say 68 and go on a drive. Car should cool down. I usually have to raise the temp to 72 or its too cold (after awhile). It was close to 90deg this weekend and the M3 was cold.

Try checking out the car without your phone in your pocket. Should be sleeping w/ everything off. If not, you are probably not shutting the door hard enough to roll up the window, so it stays unlocked and possibly "on." Do you hear the car lock and fold mirrors after you walk away?

• Informative

Thank you!
Browser is not intended for streaming services...the downside of it being free. Use your phone.
AC should be very cold. But the temperature setting sets temperature. Fan speed is just air volume.
You haven’t stated what tires are on your car. Some are noisier than others. In general road noise can be dampened by really good car mats, like diamondmats. Without engine white noise you’ll hear more road noise.

Thank you!

1) Turn on Auto and you should get cold.
2) It stays on for a little and then turns off. It draws little power. For comparison, the Tesla batter could probably charge 100 iPads for 10 years on one charge.
3) Tires get noisier when there is no engine to drown them out. You learn to hate some road surfaces.
4) Put it on chill.
5) It's performing exactly as expected. If it allowed videos, the car would not be legal to drive in most states. An upcoming change may allow viewing ONLY while plugged into a charger.

• Informative
Update: My AC works as it should. As for tires, they are Michelin’s. I reduced tire pressure and added gasket kit and it’s just fine now.

Screen in “Full screen mode”? Does it exist (yet)?
Do you mean the Navigation portion? No.

The only screen that can be adjusted is audio/media. You can change the height of the media viewer by pulling it up/down (completely gone, partial up so you can just see album art/controls, semi up showing extra features and presets, and fully up showing the most stuff). If you tap the media icon at the bottom of the screen by Controls, etc, a few times it will cycle through up/down, etc (but not all iterations).

Do you mean the Navigation portion? No.

The only screen that can be adjusted is audio/media. You can change the height of the media viewer by pulling it up/down (completely gone, partial up so you can just see album art/controls, semi up showing extra features and presets, and fully up showing the most stuff). If you tap the media icon at the bottom of the screen by Controls, etc, a few times it will cycle through up/down, etc (but not all iterations).

You can also swipe the media icon up or down to raise/lower the height of the media pane.

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
M3 LRWD delivered but rep could not connect phone to car. Tesla app states "vehicle in service " no one seems to have an answer on how to fix it ..service scheduled for next week the key card works though so that is a plus ..any Ideas,Help ?

I had the same problem with ac and accidentally discovered the solution. When you have the climate control window open, swipe up. It will angle the airflow toward your face. Mine seems to have been defaulted to angle toward about crotch level for some reason. You can adjust it by swiping up or down.