Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a call from Tesla HK, no car until End of march 2014...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the uncertainty surrounding the 0% FRT concession expiring / up for renewal in March, at this time it is probably worth delaying until that is announced by Government.

I certainly can't / don't want to commit to a vehicle that I don't know the final price of (even if Tesla announce their pricing today).

So you are implying that Tesla is dealing the government with the 400 Model S orders? If the government says no renewal, then maybe Tesla will lower the Model price to balance the overall cost?
Given the uncertainty surrounding the 0% FRT concession expiring / up for renewal in March, at this time it is probably worth delaying until that is announced by Government.

I certainly can't / don't want to commit to a vehicle that I don't know the final price of (even if Tesla announce their pricing today).

I left message to other forum this morning. no source to confirm but will try to dig more. please see below.

Model S Order Delivery Tracker - Q1 2014 - Page 20

Just sent an email to Naomi, hopefully there is some news about the delivery.

it is transforming from disappointing to frustrating, as i was first told that the car would be delivered by the end of 2013, and then they said end of March 2014, which is not going to happen...

Please, at least let me know the final price for the Sig!!!!

So you are implying that Tesla is dealing the government with the 400 Model S orders? If the government says no renewal, then maybe Tesla will lower the Model price to balance the overall cost?

Not really.

I think the Tesla base product price will be the price, no matter where it is sold. But, for a lot of prospective owners, a HK$600k car is very different with FRT raising the price to Hk$1m+. For Tesla, there will be a big difference in sales volume if the car is twice the price. Cost of adapting car to HK and running the business here / number of cars, has a big impact on sales price.

Just look at what happened to Tesla in Singapore when the prospect of incentives disappeared.

Once Tesla announces prices, they are going to then ask first purchasers to lock in configuration and finalise order. Then, before delivery, what if government says no more 0% FRT and lots of owners try to back-out?

The FRT incentive has such a big impact on the purchase that I am really not surprised there is no pricing announcement at this time.

Here's a piece of news from a Chinese Newspaper.

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realtime/news/20140116/52095226

Google Translated:

In his policy address that the government will continue to promote the purchase of environmentally friendly electric car traffic, the Chief Executive and the principal officials would be the first use of new environmentally friendly vehicles. In addition, the authorities will speed the creation of 100 in electric vehicle charging stations and 50 fast charging stations, the fastest in the first quarter tender.

Government sources, the local market at present about 600 environmentally friendly electric cars to walk, to which the government accounted for about 200, are mainly car models. Sources said the government would purchase a temporary, two electric vehicles for the use of the Chief Executive and the Secretary of accountability, and car specifications will be drawn up according to officials rank procurement rules. However, given the existing temporary four electric vehicles for the TD was approved for sale, including the Nissan LEAF, Mitsubishi iMiEV, Renault Fluence ZE and the BYD e6, each model will not be considered for regional heads or heads of state level to use, so unknown whether the higher specifications referenced electric vehicles through other means.

Not really.

I think the Tesla base product price will be the price, no matter where it is sold. But, for a lot of prospective owners, a HK$600k car is very different with FRT raising the price to Hk$1m+. For Tesla, there will be a big difference in sales volume if the car is twice the price. Cost of adapting car to HK and running the business here / number of cars, has a big impact on sales price.

Just look at what happened to Tesla in Singapore when the prospect of incentives disappeared.

Once Tesla announces prices, they are going to then ask first purchasers to lock in configuration and finalise order. Then, before delivery, what if government says no more 0% FRT and lots of owners try to back-out?

The FRT incentive has such a big impact on the purchase that I am really not surprised there is no pricing announcement at this time.

The full transcript is now up. The transport related section is here:

2014 Policy Address by Chief Executive (5)

And others are here:

HKSAR Government Press Releases 15-01-2014

Meat is:

152. In addition, the Government will promote the use of electric vehicles. Funding was provided for franchised bus companies to purchase 36 single-deck electric buses for performance testing. The first batch of electric buses is expected to arrive by the end of this year. The Government will also launch a trial scheme that enables suppliers of electric taxis to install quick chargers at car parks administered by the Transport Department to encourage the industry to expand the electric vehicle fleet. A total of 100 medium chargers will be provided in various districts to shorten charging time. The Government will continue to purchase more electric vehicles. I and the Principal Officials will take the lead in using them on a trial basis.

Disappointed that they did not announce extension of FRT waiver for pure EVs.

CNBC Interview with Elon on 14 Jan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1HEA_2erc

"We're putting cars on a boat essentially in about a month.....we're hoping to make our first deliveries in China in March, we're not 100% certain but we're hoping to do that."

"The RHD version of the Model S will be coming out in April, so that's gonna to be important for markets like the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore..."

Here we have it from Elon himself. So Mark's prediction is quite accurate that Mainland China might get the cars earlier than HK.

CCT, great stuff, so we should see mighty Model S on the road by April.

CNBC Interview with Elon on 14 Jan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1HEA_2erc

"We're putting cars on a boat essentially in about a month.....we're hoping to make our first deliveries in China in March, we're not 100% certain but we're hoping to do that."

"The RHD version of the Model S will be coming out in April, so that's gonna to be important for markets like the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore..."

Here we have it from Elon himself. So Mark's prediction is quite accurate that Mainland China might get the cars earlier than HK.

CCT, great stuff, so we should see mighty Model S on the road by April.

I still think that is optimistic. Elon's actual words were:

RHD version of Model S will be coming out in April. So that is going to be important for markets like the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, and that kind of thing.

UK has already announced pricing, so first deliveries of RHD cars will most likely happen there, and I guess/predict that is what he is talking about when he says 'coming out'.