Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

just left this feedback to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the exact same issue on my Model 3, looking at the bolt on the left compared to the right side, the right side bolt was tightened down a couple of turns more than the left. I tightened the left bolt to the same height as the bolt on the right side as the left bolt had a wear spot that was hitting the edge of the upper trunk hinge (causing the random clicking noise of rough roads). I then took my car for a drive down the same road that would always produce the sound and the clicking noise was gone! Thank God as it was driving me crazy. Looking at the hinge, I can not for the life of see what purpose it serves? But regardless, I’m glad the issue is resolved and the fact that I didn’t waste time taking the car to the local Service Center.

I think the screw is to align the trunk panel to the rest of the car. If you screw it down, you might notice that your trunk lid sags a bit compared to the adjacent panels. But glad you were able to silence the tapping!

I have the similar rattling noise issue

they put this fiber material on the bolt as this picture attached. the rattle sound has been disappeared for a while, but I do hear the similar noise after 1 year.

Tesla service texted me that they will charge the service fee for noise investigation since my car is out of warranty after 10,000 miles.

so if possible, I will fix this problem myself.

Attachments

• 99D3DE7F-CED7-4675-80E7-CB95ECAE7B56.jpeg
    99D3DE7F-CED7-4675-80E7-CB95ECAE7B56.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 130
I have the similar rattling noise issue

they put this fiber material on the bolt as this picture attached. the rattle sound has been disappeared for a while, but I do hear the similar noise after 1 year.

Tesla service texted me that they will charge the service fee for noise investigation since my car is out of warranty after 10,000 miles.

so if possible, I will fix this problem myself.

Might not be the bolt causing that. The other place to check are the latches that hold the back seats in place. Fold the seats down and see if the noise is gone. If it is, wrap a little bit of electrical tape around the metal bars that the latch grabs onto. Not too much tape or it will be too fat for the latch.

Reactions: Dave EV