Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered 8/23 in Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed my order in Illinois hoping to get the system in by EOY to be able to get the 26% tax credit.

upload_2020-8-25_20-9-56.png

Are you getting the IL Adjustable Block Program credit? I believe the are all out of money for install >10 kW. I first over sized my request by using summer time electric bill but it was adjusted due to ComEd restriction of only allowing 110% of last year usage. It was knocked down to 8.84 kW.

The IL Adjustable Block Rebate is based on the inverter size. As of now the inverter size has to be smaller than 10kwh. My system size system size is 11.56kw DC but the inverter is 10kw AC so it qualifies for the program. Just ask Tesla what size inverter will they be using for your system.

Should i be asking for a larger inverter because my system can generate 12.4

There have been a number of discussions on this here recently. The short version is that it’s probably not necessary. The DC size of your system is 12.4kW, but your system can only generate that much power if all of your panels are producing the max amount of power at the same time. Since you have panels that are facing different directions each array will hit it’s peak production at different times as the sun moves through the sky. Additionally the panels that are facing north east will probably never hit the max production for those panels simply because north east is a less optimal panel angle.

Your inverter size is still considerably less than the DC size of your system so there is a chance that you may experience a small amount of clipping during sunny days in the summer. Clipping means that the panels are producing more power than the inverter can invert, so some of the power that is being produced by the panels is lost.

Clipping isn’t necessarily a bad thing and even if it happens it is likely to affect your annual production by less than 1 or 2%. It’s not something that would affect your production all day, or even every day.

Reactions: ChicagoSox
I would ask Tesla to see if they could move some panels from the northeast section to the southwest facing section of your roof. I wouldn't ask them to change the inverter yet since inverters are more efficient when they are running at their peak capacity.

There have been a number of discussions on this here recently. The short version is that it’s probably not necessary. The DC size of your system is 12.4kW, but your system can only generate that much power if all of your panels are producing the max amount of power at the same time. Since you have panels that are facing different directions each array will hit it’s peak production at different times as the sun moves through the sky. Additionally the panels that are facing north east will probably never hit the max production for those panels simply because north east is a less optimal panel angle.

Your inverter size is still considerably less than the DC size of your system so there is a chance that you may experience a small amount of clipping during sunny days in the summer. Clipping means that the panels are producing more power than the inverter can invert, so some of the power that is being produced by the panels is lost.

Clipping isn’t necessarily a bad thing and even if it happens it is likely to affect your annual production by less than 1 or 2%. It’s not something that would affect your production all day, or even every day.
Thanks Brett!@

I would ask Tesla to see if they could move some panels from the northeast section to the southwest facing section of your roof. I wouldn't ask them to change the inverter yet since inverters are more efficient when they are running at their peak capacity.

I asked them to move the panel and they said no

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-26_15-3-49.png
    upload_2020-8-26_15-3-49.png
    750.4 KB · Views: 38
  • gooogle home.png
    gooogle home.png
    511.4 KB · Views: 45