Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I ordered my model 3 over the weekend (at the Dublin CA "dealership"). What happens now? Estimated delivery is sometime this month. What are some of the things I should look for at the time of delivery? What are "Gen 1 seats"? sorry for all the questions. The buying process is a little weird.

Hi all, I ordered my model 3 over the weekend (at the Dublin CA "dealership"). What happens now? Estimated delivery is sometime this month. What are some of the things I should look for at the time of delivery? What are "Gen 1 seats"? sorry for all the questions. The buying process is a little weird.

All of which can be answered by searching here

Sometimes delivery is delayed, sometimes it's rescheduled for, "This weekend!" You're so close to Fremont you can almost catch a car as it rolls off the assembly line. You may suddenly be offered a car if you can get ready in two days. Worse, Tesla may cancel your scheduled delivery if you can't take advantage of their accelerated schedule.

- Give your insurance agent a heads-up so they can start preparing a policy.

- Line up your funds. Could be rummaging under your mattress for some of the $100 bill bundles that make it so lumpy; figuring out some financial maneuvers; loan-shopping...

- If you're selling or trading-in a car, start that process. Frame your strategy for early, timely and delayed delivery.

Start work on your home charging solution. I live on the East Coast. The Tesla-recommended electrician I used reports he's swamped with Tesla charger installations. It seems California has even more demand. There are a handful of Model 3 threads discussing:

1. Is home charging even necessary? My opinion is, "Yes, unless you value your time at about $1.00/hr."

2. Does a regular wall outlet provide enough power for overnight recharge? Consensus seems to be, "Yes, if you have a short commute, or access to a charger at work and never expect to take a long trip on short notice."

3. How much power should I provide?

Think about after-sale improvements. Floor mats? Paint protection? Window tint? Better wheels/tires? Air freshener for rear view mirror?... Lots of threads discussing these and organizing group buys. Floor mats are back-ordered, get your order in early.

First Battery Electric Vehicle? Read threads on charging and trip planning.

Same boat as OP. In fact we’re nearly neighbors. I’m in the Hayward hills and do half my local shopping over there in Dublin.

If I trip to the left falling out my front door I land in the Tesla plant. If I trip to the right I land in their Fremont showroom.

Hoping that helps with the wait.

Sometimes delivery is delayed, sometimes it's rescheduled for, "This weekend!" You're so close to Fremont you can almost catch a car as it rolls off the assembly line. You may suddenly be offered a car if you can get ready in two days. Worse, Tesla may cancel your scheduled delivery if you can't take advantage of their accelerated schedule.

- Give your insurance agent a heads-up so they can start preparing a policy.

- Line up your funds. Could be rummaging under your mattress for some of the $100 bill bundles that make it so lumpy; figuring out some financial maneuvers; loan-shopping...

- If you're selling or trading-in a car, start that process. Frame your strategy for early, timely and delayed delivery.

Start work on your home charging solution. I live on the East Coast. The Tesla-recommended electrician I used reports he's swamped with Tesla charger installations. It seems California has even more demand. There are a handful of Model 3 threads discussing:

1. Is home charging even necessary? My opinion is, "Yes, unless you value your time at about $1.00/hr."

2. Does a regular wall outlet provide enough power for overnight recharge? Consensus seems to be, "Yes, if you have a short commute, or access to a charger at work and never expect to take a long trip on short notice."

3. How much power should I provide?

Think about after-sale improvements. Floor mats? Paint protection? Window tint? Better wheels/tires? Air freshener for rear view mirror?... Lots of threads discussing these and organizing group buys. Floor mats are back-ordered, get your order in early.

First Battery Electric Vehicle? Read threads on charging and trip planning.

Thanks, this was helpful. My tesla charger just showed up today, and my contractor will install it when I need it.

There aren't a whole lot of accessories out there yet. I need floor mats. Any suggestions?

Same boat as OP. In fact we’re nearly neighbors. I’m in the Hayward hills and do half my local shopping over there in Dublin.

If I trip to the left falling out my front door I land in the Tesla plant. If I trip to the right I land in their Fremont showroom.

Hoping that helps with the wait.
Are you thinking about getting the windows tinted? Looking for a place locally.