Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered the Tesla Rear Liftgate Sunshade and the Tesla Glass Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Tesla Glass Roof sunshade. 85% of it fits fine, but there is a part where it seems like the curve from being folded up never really straightened back out. They included 10 clips, 6 pre-installed and 4 extras in a bag. I used all 10 (2 front, 2 rear, 3 each side).

I ordered the Rear Hatch sunshade, but returned it after picking up the car and realizing how dark the rear hatch is already. I am going to tint it with 80% tint so I get some heat rejection but doesn't make it significantly darker than it already is.

I have both and really like them. The hatch shade is in place from April-September. The roof shade is in place from April- June and September through early October. I have a more opaque two piece shade for the roof for July and August that matches the light headliner. It's goofy hot here though.

The nice thing about Tesla's roof shade is it keeps the open view in tact while cutting down on the solar gain. It doesn't help a lot if the car has been baking in the sun and the glass is radiating heat though. The hatch shade I think is very useful and it does make it harder to see out the back, but it doesn't bother me at all once I got used to it, and I have a 40% tint on that already darkened glass.

I have both and really like them. The hatch shade is in place from April-September. The roof shade is in place from April- June and September through early October. I have a more opaque two piece shade for the roof for July and August that matches the light headliner. It's goofy hot here though.

The nice thing about Tesla's roof shade is it keeps the open view in tact while cutting down on the solar gain. It doesn't help a lot if the car has been baking in the sun and the glass is radiating heat though. The hatch shade I think is very useful and it does make it harder to see out the back, but it doesn't bother me at all once I got used to it, and I have a 40% tint on that already darkened glass.
Which shade do you use for July/Aug? I'll be in Phx part of the summer so will need something more substantial as well.

I was going to order the Tesmanian Glass roof shade - but after watching some videos / reviews - I thought perhaps the magnets you mount to the roof to keep the shade in place (I guess) would mean that the shade could stretch - or might not be a perfect it. Where the Tesla items should be / will be perfect.

I did pre order the Tesmanian mats for $ 179 shipped for every area that could use one. The Tesla's were more expensive and thought for $ 179 I would give Tesmanian a try. The other Tesmanian mats seemed to have pretty good reviews..

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W5MMVKW

At the time I got it it was one of the only light color ones available. The two piece design works well too.
Whoa, that's heavy duty. Why is the reflecting layer separate? I'm sure that works better than my mesh one. Wonder if it heats the glass up too much.

I have a two-piece mesh one that I like - no sag. I need something for the hatch for my poor dog in the summer, but I still want to be able to see out the back. I'll prob just get some UV tint this spring.

Whoa, that's heavy duty. Why is the reflecting layer separate? I'm sure that works better than my mesh one. Wonder if it heats the glass up too much.

I have a two-piece mesh one that I like - no sag. I need something for the hatch for my poor dog in the summer, but I still want to be able to see out the back. I'll prob just get some UV tint this spring.
The extra layer can essentially black it out. I used it for a bit this way since my goal was to block out as much as possible. Then I tried it without the reflecting later. It worked well enough for me even in our 110 heat, and I preferred that there was still some light coming through. So in the end, I just use the fabric layer.

Reactions: Noflash