Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just put deposit on 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! First time poster and soon to be first time Tesla owner here. I just put a deposit on a '15 CPO 85D and it has:

black ext, black next gen. seats
standard wheels
premium pkg
pano
upgraded audio
air suspension
carbon fiber trim
Dec. 2015 original delivery date

miles: 45,000
Cost: $45,800 -- I think I'm getting a great deal!

Unknowns at this point:
Interior condition (no pics of interior are available, I'm hoping that means it's flawless ;)
Exterior pics show no curb rash at all, however it does have a few small scratches and perhaps a mis-aligned front lower bumper clip

Question: do all 85Ds from '15 have the ability to charge via 110v and 220v or is each an option? (I do plan to supercharge mostly).
Question: is there a way to check max charge (in miles) by doing some quick math once I start the car?

Anything else you can think of that I should double check when I pickup the car (or reject it)?

Thanks!

P.S. I drive an e55 amg currently and am used to lots of torque so I'm stoked for the dual motor on the 85d. After mulling it over and test driving a 90d vs a P90d back to back, I decided it's not worth to me the extra 20% cost to get the P as I really didn't notice a difference in acceleration between the two.

Reactions: BridgeMojo
Yes, all 85D cars have the ability to charge from a 110 volt outlet as well as a 220 volt outlet as long as you have the correct adapters for your UMC (mobile charger) - these should come with the car.

There is no completely accurate way to get the max rated miles without doing a full charge. But you can change the display from rated miles to percentage in the settings to get a rough idea.

I got a November 2015 85D just two weeks ago. It came with all the adapters imaginable so you should be fine, just make sure they are all there. You're getting a good deal. Mine was $49k with 38k miles on it. I hate those standard wheels though (probably the ugliest Tesla ever had imo), mine has these.

If you go to Display and set it to show Energy instead of distance, when you switch to charging screen, that will show how much percentage you have left. You can then put it back to Distance and see how many miles that gives you which should give you a rough idea how much a full charge can give you.

Looks nice, I just got a '15 P85D two weeks ago. I can't spend enough time driving in it. It is beyond fantastic. You are going to love it. Mine has 49K and full mileage seems to be around 248 (originally 250 for a P) so the batteries all seem to be holding up well.

Hi! First time poster and soon to be first time Tesla owner here. I just put a deposit on a '15 CPO 85D and it has:

standard wheels
premium pkg
pano
upgraded audio
air suspension
carbon fiber trim

Unknowns at this point:
Interior condition (no pics of interior are available, I'm hoping that means it's flawless ;)
Exterior pics show no curb rash at all, however it does have a few small scratches and perhaps a mis-aligned front lower bumper clip

Question: do all 85Ds from '15 have the ability to charge via 110v and 220v or is each an option? (I do plan to supercharge mostly).
Question: is there a way to check max charge (in miles) by doing some quick math once I start the car?

Anything else you can think of that I should double check when I pickup the car (or reject it)?

Thanks!

P.S. I drive an e55 amg currently and am used to lots of torque so I'm stoked for the dual motor on the 85d. After mulling it over and test driving a 90d vs a P90d back to back, I decided it's not worth to me the extra 20% cost to get the P as I really didn't notice a difference in acceleration between the two.

Great find. Please update us on the condition of the car when you get it. I'm interested to see why this one was priced so low compared to the others listed. I hope it's just priced low because it was just inventoried in per your 12/15 build.a Also, please provide zany insight on your buying experience. I may be buying one soon. Thanks in advance!

All Tesla accept various forms of 120v and 240v so you will need to be more specific with your question. I feel as though your question may be confusing what the "Dual Charge" option is that some cars have and what it means for charging.

Assuming you have the UMC they come with it comes with adapters for popular forms of 120v and 240v outlets up to 50 Amps (40A continuous for safety). Only cars with Dual Chargers (an upgrade) can do 80A continuous charging which results in charge rates of around 60mph when plugged into a 100A outlet. If you only plan to plug into 50A outlets (NEMA 14-50 for instance is a popular 240v 50A outlet you find all over the country and is an adapter included with the UMC) then Dual Chargers aren't necessary and you'll still get up to 30mph charge rates. If you plan to plug into a HPWC either at home or while traveling then that double charge rate may come in handy. The 120v adapter included for a standard convenience outlet will charge at a rate of 2-3mph so you don't want to have to rely on this as a long-term solution unless your daily commute/errands is less than 20 miles and you have a full 10 hours to devote to charging every single night. Most people simply install an inexpensive NEMA 14-50 outlet in their garage and then charge at 240v 40A which results in a charge rate of 30mph and doesn't require Dual Chargers. If the car you're looking at has Dual Chargers onboard and you find you often need quicker chargers than 30mph can offer you may want to consider a HPWC instead of a NEMA 14-50 outlet to take advantage of the Dual Chargers.

Of note; Supercharging charge rates have nothing to do with dual charger or no dual charger since it uses D/C power. This option ONLY applies to A/C power.

I've been shopping Tesla used cars for the last few months. Gotta agree, the pictures that Tesla used cars send are really lame. It is really hard to tell the paint condition, road chips, etc. Glaring lights, weak focus, one of the cars they sent me pictures of was wet - how do you see any paint problems through that?

Good luck with your buy. Looks to be good/reasonable deal based on my findings.

Wheels and tires look good; and looks like you have the full charging bundle mobile connector. They cleaned up the car pretty good too.

Once you push the accelerator you are going to smile larger than you ever have before.

Reactions: tubaprde
Wheels and tires look good; and looks like you have the full charging bundle mobile connector. They cleaned up the car pretty good too.

Once you push the accelerator you are going to smile larger than you ever have before.
Yes I thought the wheels looked in great condition! And the interior doesn’t look like it has any major issues. I’ll probably get a detail this soon as I pick it up

What does the full charging bundle mobile connector do and was that not standard with the car?

Yes I thought the wheels looked in great condition! And the interior doesn’t look like it has any major issues. I’ll probably get a detail this soon as I pick it up

What does the full charging bundle mobile connector do and was that not standard with the car?

yes new cars come with the mobile connector, I just wasn't sure if all used ones would still have it; CPO or not.

Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

The picture above is the newer set with detachable cables containing each plug. Yours is probably like mine (gen 1) where just the plug at the end of the cable detaches only.

Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

Also, if you didn't know this already, I don't think there is a single model S owner who prefers the Goodyears Tesla has been using as OEM tires for several years now over the previous Michelins. You have Michelins; another bonus. :D

Check out the used Tesla parts forum: plenty of guys selling complete sets of Slipstreams or Arachnids if you want to modernize the look. And unlike me, you probably wouldn't have to pay for shipping!

Tesla Parts for Sale

Reactions: tubaprde
Also, if you didn't know this already, I don't think there is a single model S owner who prefers the Goodyears Tesla has been using as OEM tires for several years now over the previous Michelins. You have Michelins; another bonus. :D

Check out the used Tesla parts forum: plenty of guys selling complete sets of Slipstreams or Arachnids if you want to modernize the look. And unlike me, you probably wouldn't have to pay for shipping!

Tesla Parts for Sale

That certainly isn't true. They changed the type of the stock Goodyear tire a couple years back and the new ones are just fine apparently. A lot of people seem to prefer them since they are more quiet than Michelins

New Goodyear Eagle Touring Tires | Tesla

standard wheels
premium pkg
pano
upgraded audio
air suspension
carbon fiber trim

Unknowns at this point:

Thanks!

Hi,
Just checking in to see how your experience is going with Tesla?

Have you picked up the vehicle yet/ condition of the vehicle?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, the prices have literally plunged but a few that popped up that seems pretty good.