Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MX delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered beginning of Sep like many of us. EDD jumped around from Sep to Oct-Nov back to Sep and Oct again. For weeks it was Sep 12 - Sep 28 and became Sep 13, 14, 15, 16, as time went on. Then it ended at Sep 30 - Oct 21. I live in Fremont CA, so near their factory. I was thinking they would push their quarter end number so I might get the last cars out of factory no time for shipping out of state. Last week of Sep, I got anxious because of the FSD transfer deadline (had a Y for which I think I only paid $5k for FSD), and started checking Tesla inventory within 200 miles every hour (inventory shows up and often gets snapped in an hour or so). My order is ultra red, 20'', white interior, 7 seater, steering wheel. My exact configuration never showed as inventory, but my setup plus yolk showed up twice. The first time I passed on it. The second time on Sep 28, I pulled the trigger, and picked up the car on Sep 30. When I talked to the rep throughout this process in Fremont, they were wishy washy whether delivery post Sep 30 will still get FSD transfer. Early in the month, they said no. After Sep 15, they said likely. Closer to the month end, they said they would, but still said there was a possibility it "goes beyond their control". I didn't understand it and didn't want to deal with it. I paid $1000 extra for the yolk I didn't want, but overall happy with the purchase.

A few thoughts after I took delivery of my car. I decided to buy an X because of the price dropping below $80k qualifying for the $7500 tax credit. I had to be creative on putting family member down as buyer to take advantage of it. However, 2 things really bothered me. I don't need a 7-seater (family of 4), but felt strongly I should buy a 7-seater just in case, and for the apparently significantly better resale value. The 3rd row seats will just be folked flat and part of the trunk 99% of the time. I think 6-seater is the worst unless you regularly have exactly 6 passengers, and the high price point. electric seats are nice but not folding flat is a deal breaker for me. Plus the high cost. The other was the white interior. I went back and forth among colors, eventually settled on ultra red. I was never a red person, laughed at my coworkers who paid to get red model Y. See the color as showy and unnecessarily attention grabbing. This all changed when I saw ultra red in person at the fremont service center, when ultra red X and standard red Y were parked side by side. Ultra red looked so much better, subdued but so much richer. Once I decided on the red color though, I just had to go with white interior, which again was a no no for me for all my life. Did a lot of research, checked friend's 3 with white interior for years but still clean well, and eventually decided to spend the extra $$ for it. At this point, tax credit is out of the window, but I justified to myself $95k and $80k (out of the door even after tax credit) are different, but not different enough to justify "settling". I test drove both 20'' and 22'' X and 20'' is much smoother. I got the bigger wheel for the Y, didn't like how bumpy the ride is and got 4 flat tire incidents in the last few years. This time I won't make the same mistake, and happy to save that $5k. Would have loved the 22'' look, but definitely not worth the money for me. The yolk I "wasted" $1000 on, is interesting. I test drove the yolk and hated it. I'm on day 3 of using the yolk. Maybe it's psychology, but somehow I started to like it. I do like the unobstructed view of the dash display. I raise the yolk pretty high, and hands resting on yolk is pretty comfortable both holding vertically and horizontally. Standard wheel I usually do hold it with a slight twist of the wrist, which in comparison is a bit more unnatural. I also do feel driving a space ship like everyone else says, combining the yolk and the one piece windshield going all the way over your head (so diffe from Y). That said, I still hate the shifting on screen or at center console. The automated shift/prediction works, but it doesn't work all the time. I'm getting better, but still don't do well with sharp turns. The good news is I no longer plan to spend another $700 to switch back to wheel, but as of today, I probably still prefer a standard wheel.

Hope this helps some folks who are still in the process of deciding on your dream car configuration.

Some pics below. Matrix headlight. Would have been a deal breaker!

IMG_4316.jpg
IMG_4317.jpg
IMG_4318.jpg
IMG_4319.jpg
IMG_4321.jpg

Last edited:
Early production of the X originally had retractable spoiler (like the Porsche design), but Tesla eventually ditched it and made it fixed/boring
While driving on the highway the other day, I saw one old X that still had the active spoiler. I can tell you it’s super cool to see that spoiler goes up and down as the car speeds up or slow down. Too bad ours won’t do that anymore 😢

Congratulations! I ordered mine in September as well. Even though it was built in Fremont, it was delivered in Jacksonville, FL this past Monday (October 16). I am curious, though. Since you changed the interior color and added the yoke (sorry, but yolk is part of an egg), how did you keep the MSRP below the $80K required to qualify for the $7500 tax credit? I was told by the Tesla rep that adding ANY factory option(s) would put it over the limit and disqualify it for the tax credit.

Regardless, congratulations on your new X. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we're enjoying ours.

Since you changed the interior color and added the yoke (sorry, but yolk is part of an egg), how did you keep the MSRP below the $80K required to qualify for the $7500 tax credit? I was told by the Tesla rep that adding ANY factory option(s) would put it over the limit and disqualify it for the tax credit.
Yes that's how it works. MSRP of $80,001 inclusive of options but excluding destination and FSD makes it ineligible.

While driving on the highway the other day, I saw one old X that still had the active spoiler. I can tell you it’s super cool to see that spoiler goes up and down as the car speeds up or slow down. Too bad ours won’t do that anymore 😢
It’s really nice to have the retractable spoiler as a visible clue that the car is locked from afar.