Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep trailer power on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know a way to keep the power on that feeds and attached trailer lights? This also powers a small light inside my cargo trailer. Once the car shuts off and locks, the power goes off. Any hack to keep that supply on, other than running a separate power from the rear DC plug? Many thanks.
Is this for a short time, or an extended period? On the MS leaving the door open or ajar keeps the car awake, but no idea if you can even do that on a MX.

Is this for a short time, or an extended period? On the MS leaving the door open or ajar keeps the car awake, but no idea if you can even do that on a MX.
Could be for an hour or so, off and on. I'd want the car door shut and locked as well. Since it pulls off the 12 V battery and the 12V is kept charged by the main batteries, it should have no real effect on range for one small LED light.

Could be for an hour or so, off and on. I'd want the car door shut and locked as well. Since it pulls off the 12 V battery and the 12V is kept charged by the main batteries, it should have no real effect on range for one small LED light.
Seems like it would be easier to just put a battery powered light inside. Maybe a solar one with a wired panel to the outside.

Maybe @ecarfan or @ohmman who tow a lot will have a suggestion on keeping power on to the trailer wiring.

I don’t know of a way to do this that I’d recommend. I think that finding another power supply is in your best interest. You can tweak the rear 12v accessory plug to stay on - mine stays on for about an hour after the car locks - and I think that’s better than messing with the 7-pin.

• Helpful
Reactions: BerTX