Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping car on while loading up the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I do as well and works perfectly.

My standard way of keeping the car on in these situations is simply to make sure when I shut my driver's door, it's not quite all the way shut. In other words, it goes past the first "click" so that it looks shut from a distance, but it's not actually completely shut. The car still considers the door "open" and will keep the A/C on, music playing, etc. I find this much easier than messing with the app on my phone (of course, I use the app - or camper mode in my S - in the situations that call for it - like when I leave my dog in the car while I go into a store or something similar).

I have a newborn and my wife now sits in the back with our son. This is now an issue for me and the family since it would be hard for wife to reach from back seat to touch screen and leaving the door slightly open raises a safety issue.

I have tried using the keycard after I put the car in P but that did not seem to work.

This is interesting. I've left the wife and kids in the car and have taken my phone with me. Everything stays on. My wife touches the screen to lock the car when I run in, but it stays on. I figured the pressure of the seats with passengers in it is what keeps the vehicle awake. I'm in Texas and the AC is on, as is the radio. Guess I have been lucky, because my wife would let me hear about it otherwise for sure!