Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rollaway while outside of the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moves.gif

Reactions: XPsionic
I know this is an older thread now but I suspect the Tesla tech can only see if the rear wheel was rolling since that's where the motor is.
I've seen videos of Teslas rolling down icy hills, their front wheels spin but not the back. This is probably what happened with the OP here. Stepping on the brakes engaged the front brakes which gave the car enough traction to stop the car.
The cars sliding down the icy hill isn't a new issue with Teslas since they don't have their front brakes engaged while parked. Most modern ICE cars have engines in the front so putting the car in park locked the front wheels while the parking brake engaged the rear brakes.
Even with a dual motor Tesla, the front motor is an Induction motor which doesn't provide much holding power when not in use. This isn't a disadvantage most of the times.
I don't think this is a Tesla exclusive issue. Rear engine ICE vehicles and other EVs that put their motors in the rear probably have the same issue.
I do hope Tesla figures out how to implement a safety feature to avoid this situation. Maybe when outside temp < 40 degrees F & car is parked, use Sentry and other sensors to watch for unusual movement and if detected, then engage front brakes?