TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keeping car on while loading up the family

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GoCanucksGo1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. GoCanucksGo1

GoCanucksGo1 Member

Love the car but a few issues. Hope someone can help. When packing up the fam into the car, we put the little ones in the back. While wife waits in front seat, usually go back and forth in and out of the house a couple times to get water bottles, toys, etc. Unfortunately the AC and music do not stay on. Do I leave the phone in the car to leave everything on? I precool the car but when you open the door, put the kids in, and walk away (phone in pocket) the AC stops again.

2. Koflach

Koflach Member

yeah, just like with your keys when you want it to stay on, you leave the phone in the car.

• Helpful x 1
  3. GoCanucksGo1

GoCanucksGo1 Member

Thx for the response. However, I just tried putting the car in park, and leaving the phone in the car. Went inside the house and came back out. The AC and music had turned off. I guess I could leave the driver door open with the phone in the car, but kind of sucks when it’s 100 degrees out.

4. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

What about putting it in neutral and applying the parking brake? Would that work?

5. Need

Need Active Member

Not sure about Model 3, but on the Model X if I step out (to make a quick run to get milk), the AC will stop. But my wife could just press the touch screen to turn it back on. I read somewhere that you could buckle the driver seat belt and it will keep AC on even if you are not in the seat but I have not tried it. Usually this is more of a problem when someone leaves their pet in the back of the car and wants the AC to keep running with no one in the front to press the screen.

• Helpful x 1
  6. outie

outie Active Member

On the S/X they’ve solved that issue with camper mode, basically keeping ac on while car is off. You can see the slider in the AC screen at the bottom.

Not sure about the model 3.

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

All your wife has to do is touch the screen and it’ll come back on. The car shuts off when the driver lifts off the seat, exits vehicle and closes door. Passenger simply touches the sceen and voila, all is right in the world.

• Helpful x 1
  8. emeraldap

emeraldap Member

My infant regularly naps in our car - usually on the way home. Which is where an EV is truly a Godsend. An hour on full blast AC and hardly a dent on the car's projected range.

When we all get out and I take my phone with me, the car auto-locks and the A/C promptly shuts off. It's not ideal, but I pull up my app and turn on climate control. Would be nice if Tesla geo-tagged home and allowed for a customization to turn-off auto lock, but i'm guessing it's likely pretty low down on their things to do, at the moment.

9. Koflach

Koflach Member

I think it has something to do with when you get out of the driver seat it turns itself off . I guess you could always turn the AC back on from the Tesla application. Hopefully that works for you .

10. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

My standard way of keeping the car on in these situations is simply to make sure when I shut my driver's door, it's not quite all the way shut. In other words, it goes past the first "click" so that it looks shut from a distance, but it's not actually completely shut. The car still considers the door "open" and will keep the A/C on, music playing, etc. I find this much easier than messing with the app on my phone (of course, I use the app - or camper mode in my S - in the situations that call for it - like when I leave my dog in the car while I go into a store or something similar).

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  11. BQst

BQst Member

Definitely this. It works really well on the S. I use it often. Try it on the 3?

Ben

12. Need

Need Active Member

Won't work on the MX for sure. MX's door auto shut if it is close enough.

13. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Does the wife not have a phone? We do this too, but the car just switches to my wife's phone when I leave. Seamless and no issues other than it stays on her phone when I get back (so her phone's music).

14. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Correct - but I do it on both the S and the 3 and it works for those.

15. GoCanucksGo1

GoCanucksGo1 Member

Cool. Thx for all the responses. Will try them out.

16. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

Yes, that should work, although I haven't tried it on a Model 3.

17. SlicedBr3ad

SlicedBr3ad Member

I complained to Tesla and they responded that's how it is. Use above suggestions 1) tapping on screen; 2) crack a door open just a little. 2 is my go to now. Also, write to Tesla, this is ducking stupid behavior. Ugh. Sdggffxswxxsa! Frustrated with this nonsense.

18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

It would not surprise me if Tesla added that software to the Model 3 in the future.

Love my "Dog Mode".

• Like x 1
  19. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I have similar problems with leaving my wife in the car. I tried all suggestions but none work except leaving the door open a bit. Her phone is even configured to work with the Model 3. I look forward to "Dog Mode" for my wife.

• Funny x 2
  20. RayK

RayK Member

There's a joke in there somewhere... If not, then maybe it's you being in the "dog house".

• Funny x 2