Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping car on while loading up the family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the car but a few issues. Hope someone can help. When packing up the fam into the car, we put the little ones in the back. While wife waits in front seat, usually go back and forth in and out of the house a couple times to get water bottles, toys, etc. Unfortunately the AC and music do not stay on. Do I leave the phone in the car to leave everything on? I precool the car but when you open the door, put the kids in, and walk away (phone in pocket) the AC stops again.

yeah, just like with your keys when you want it to stay on, you leave the phone in the car.

Thx for the response. However, I just tried putting the car in park, and leaving the phone in the car. Went inside the house and came back out. The AC and music had turned off. I guess I could leave the driver door open with the phone in the car, but kind of sucks when it’s 100 degrees out.

Not sure about Model 3, but on the Model X if I step out (to make a quick run to get milk), the AC will stop. But my wife could just press the touch screen to turn it back on. I read somewhere that you could buckle the driver seat belt and it will keep AC on even if you are not in the seat but I have not tried it. Usually this is more of a problem when someone leaves their pet in the back of the car and wants the AC to keep running with no one in the front to press the screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
Not sure about Model 3, but on the Model X if I step out (to make a quick run to get milk), the AC will stop. But my wife could just press the touch screen to turn it back on. I read somewhere that you could buckle the driver seat belt and it will keep AC on even if you are not in the seat but I have not tried it. Usually this is more of a problem when someone leaves their pet in the back of the car and wants the AC to keep running with no one in the front to press the screen.
On the S/X they’ve solved that issue with camper mode, basically keeping ac on while car is off. You can see the slider in the AC screen at the bottom.

Not sure about the model 3.

My infant regularly naps in our car - usually on the way home. Which is where an EV is truly a Godsend. An hour on full blast AC and hardly a dent on the car's projected range.

When we all get out and I take my phone with me, the car auto-locks and the A/C promptly shuts off. It's not ideal, but I pull up my app and turn on climate control. Would be nice if Tesla geo-tagged home and allowed for a customization to turn-off auto lock, but i'm guessing it's likely pretty low down on their things to do, at the moment.

My standard way of keeping the car on in these situations is simply to make sure when I shut my driver's door, it's not quite all the way shut. In other words, it goes past the first "click" so that it looks shut from a distance, but it's not actually completely shut. The car still considers the door "open" and will keep the A/C on, music playing, etc. I find this much easier than messing with the app on my phone (of course, I use the app - or camper mode in my S - in the situations that call for it - like when I leave my dog in the car while I go into a store or something similar).

My standard way of keeping the car on in these situations is simply to make sure when I shut my driver's door, it's not quite all the way shut. In other words, it goes past the first "click" so that it looks shut from a distance, but it's not actually completely shut. The car still considers the door "open" and will keep the A/C on, music playing, etc. I find this much easier than messing with the app on my phone (of course, I use the app - or camper mode in my S - in the situations that call for it - like when I leave my dog in the car while I go into a store or something similar).

Definitely this. It works really well on the S. I use it often. Try it on the 3?

Ben