Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Model 3 Awake During 12v Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading that if the car stays awake, it will continue to operate normally. If that is true, if someone was away on a trip and they get a warning about replacing the 12v battery, would keeping the car awake prevent them from being stranded because of a failing 12v battery?

I have also heard that keeping Sentry enabled will keep the car awake. Are there any other features that could be enabled to make sure the car stays awake until they get home and is there any harm in doing this?

I have been reading that if the car stays awake, it will continue to operate normally. If that is true, if someone was away on a trip and they get a warning about replacing the 12v battery, would keeping the car awake prevent them from being stranded because of a failing 12v battery?

I have also heard that keeping Sentry enabled will keep the car awake. Are there any other features that could be enabled to make sure the car stays awake until they get home and is there any harm in doing this?
Yes, Sentry Mode keeps the car awake and the 12v battery will be continuously charged by the high voltage battery. You will just experience a little more drain on the big battery (same as normally keeping Sentry Mode on). Keep in mind that you can also find a replacement battery at any auto parts store, but will have to find it by size because they catalogs will not show a match for a Tesla. The battery size 51R will work in your Model 3.