Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping parking lights on after exit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a trick to keep the parking lights on after parking? I tried and it seems to shut them off as soon as I open the door.

I tried with full headlights and it provides a warning but seems to let you leave full headlights on after exit if you like.

Seems like this same warning and allowance should apply to parking lights as well, no?

Or is there another way to keep them on?

Thanks.

Is there a trick to keep the parking lights on after parking? I tried and it seems to shut them off as soon as I open the door.

I tried with full headlights and it provides a warning but seems to let you leave full headlights on after exit if you like.

Seems like this same warning and allowance should apply to parking lights as well, no?

Or is there another way to keep them on?

Thanks.
There is a setting in the display panel to keep the light on for a minute or so after exiting the car.

Or do you want to keep the parking light on when the car is locked and until you come back?

I noticed that at the San Francisco, Van Ness store, the car in dsiplay keep their parking light on at night.

Note: I beleive that in some European countries, you must be able to keep the front and rear parking light on one side on

by turning the turn signal and then turning off the ignition key.

Yes, want to occasionally keep them on while car is locked. This is a normal feature for parking lights. I've learned that I can just keep headlights (and all lights on) when I park, but not as ideal as just keeping parking lights on.

I had this issue recently when parking on the side of a narrow, dark, wooded road. I called Tesla, and they said to (1) get out of the car, (2) without touching the driver seat, reach in thru the open driver door and turn on the parking lights under Controls > Lights, then (3) close the driver door and walk away. This worked on my MX, keeping the parking lights on after I left the vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Tz00
What's lame is on earlier software versions, the rear parking lights would stay on after leaving the car for a minute, but then after some update they changed behavior to only keep the headlights on. I can't imagine why they made that change.

I had this issue recently when parking on the side of a narrow, dark, wooded road. I called Tesla, and they said to (1) get out of the car, (2) without touching the driver seat, reach in thru the open driver door and turn on the parking lights under Controls > Lights, then (3) close the driver door and walk away. This worked on my MX, keeping the parking lights on after I left the vehicle.
Hmm,I'll give it a try. I was wrong about headlights being able to remain on...when leaving headlights on and opening the door, you get a warning and then when you close the door they turn off...so what is the purpose of the warning?