Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Registration Number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to put your current plate on retention yourself. Its nothing to do with Tesla and, for that matter, nothing to do with them to put it back on your new car. They will register the car with their allocated plate. That's it. Anything else is up to you which will have to wait until you receive the V5 a few days after taking delivery. The best you can expect of Tesla is to get them to make you up a second set of plates for when you later do the assignment.

You need to put your current plate on retention yourself. Its nothing to do with Tesla and, for that matter, nothing to do with them to put it back on your new car. They will register the car with their allocated plate. That's it. Anything else is up to you which will have to wait until you receive the V5 a few days after taking delivery. The best you can expect of Tesla is to get them to make you up a second set of plates for when you later do the assignment.
what he said

And just to forewarn you, they wouldn't even make up plates for me. Perhaps you'll have more luck!

I haven't collected my car yet, but I believe they just clip in/out of the holders if you get Tesla made plates (which are thin metal). Normal (thicker plastic) ones won't fit in the holders so I'm told. An existing owner may be able to clarify.
yes that sounds about right. I hate the holders anyway. Get rid of them and stick a standard plastic plate on the back with double sided tape. Vinyl on the front or keep part of the front holder and stick standard plastic onto it. Looks soooo much better.

On ours, if its still the same, the bottom retainer (runs the width of the plate) can be easily prised/pulled forward and pops off - work from one end, they are just a series of plastic poppers - but it does feel like you are going to snap something. The plate can then be slid out the bottom. Takes about 5 seconds! A plate nickers dream...

Reverse is just as easy. Slide new (thin metal) plate in from the bottom, yellow plate at back, white at front, and make sure it is fed behind the little lugs and correct orientation. Then pop the bottom retainer back on, one popper at a time, ensuring each is firmly secure and any wording is the correct way around. Takes about 10 seconds.

Reactions: Sixfootwo