Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choices choices!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I’m currently driving a Model 3 long range, the car is nearly 3 years old and will return to the lease company at the end of the lease next month.

Timing wise it couldn’t be better as I’m about to change jobs and my new company buys their fleet cars instead of leasing them. They have a policy of not buying nearly new cars (less than 1 year old and less than 25,000 miles) from dealers (not private sellers) and I’ve got a budget of £48,000.

Ideally I’d like to change to a model Y and hope to get a performance model in blue with a white interior. Sadly none appear to be on the market that fit my criteria at the moment.

I need to make my choice in the next couple of weeks and am torn between 3 cars on the market currently and would appreciate your thoughts as to what to go for:

Model Y Performance, 23 reg, black with a black interior

Model Y Long Range with enhanced autopilot, 23 reg, blue with black interior

Model 3 Performance, 73 reg, blue with a black interior

They all have their benefits, so what would you go for and why? Hopefully you can help me to make my mind up!

The first one, cos you say you want a performance Y and that’s the only performance Y you have included 🤷🏻‍♂️
No one cares about colour
Good point, but then I wondered whether I really needed the performance (my long range model 3 is quite fast enough for me!) and whether getting a long range with enhanced autopilot (which I’ve not had before) in my preferred colour might be preferable.

Blue with white interior Y, good luck!
I'd go for the 3 performance. I haven't driven the Y but can't imagine liking the driving position and ride. Many people on this forum chose the 3 for a better ride feel.
Why do you want the Y? 🙂
I thought the hatchback might give a bit more flexibility with larger loads and the higher seats better for older passengers and drivers. Test driving a Y tomorrow

Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I thought the hatchback might give a bit more flexibility with larger loads and the higher seats better for older passengers and drivers. Test driving a Y tomorrow
Sit in the back and you'll find you can get your feet under the front seats. That's quite a significant difference if you're considering rear passengers.
That was one of the reasons we went Y. Didn't get wowed by the 3.
Plus hatchback.

They have a policy of not buying nearly new cars (less than 1 year old and less than 25,000 miles) from dealers (not private sellers) and I’ve got a budget of £48,000.
I assume you mean that they do buy rather than don't buy!

Model Y Performance, 23 reg, black with a black interior

Model Y Long Range with enhanced autopilot, 23 reg, blue with black interior
I would go for the Y performance

Last edited:
The ride on the Y Improved sometime during 23 with the introduction of the so-called “comfort suspension”. The performance got it first. Good luck trying to find out when the change happened for any specific model, but I can 100% tell you that the latest cars ride better than earlier cars. So I’d try to drive whatever Y you might be getting and assess the ride for yourself.

Worth also saying that the Y is generally a bit more sluggish than the 3, so a Y LR will definitely not feel as quick off the line as the 3 LR. It’s still a pretty quick car of course.

Last edited:
Completely....and I am inclined to agree (sorry!!) but the Y, to my eyes, takes poorly resolved proportions several steps too far.
I’ve had a 3, and now a Y. Neither is a looker, but the Y is worse. From some angles it works, from others not. The absolute worst view of the car is from head on. But I don’t notice the looks when I’m inside it! Interesting that the Y managed to make it as the nr1 selling car worldwide when it’s so ugly.

Correct! They would pay for a home charger but I already have a Zappi installed at home
I was thinking more the electricity used. Last year I was exceeding $200 a month, every month, in home charging. Because it was my car, I was getting the standard IRS rate for mileage which paid my power usage. The Tesla app does a really good job of tracking charging costs, but you have to enter your local rates in the app.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k