Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choices choices!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I’m currently driving a Model 3 long range, the car is nearly 3 years old and will return to the lease company at the end of the lease next month.

Timing wise it couldn’t be better as I’m about to change jobs and my new company buys their fleet cars instead of leasing them. They have a policy of not buying nearly new cars (less than 1 year old and less than 25,000 miles) from dealers (not private sellers) and I’ve got a budget of £48,000.

Ideally I’d like to change to a model Y and hope to get a performance model in blue with a white interior. Sadly none appear to be on the market that fit my criteria at the moment.

I need to make my choice in the next couple of weeks and am torn between 3 cars on the market currently and would appreciate your thoughts as to what to go for:

Model Y Performance, 23 reg, black with a black interior

Model Y Long Range with enhanced autopilot, 23 reg, blue with black interior

Model 3 Performance, 73 reg, blue with a black interior

They all have their benefits, so what would you go for and why? Hopefully you can help me to make my mind up!
73 reg M3P for £48k sounds like a bargain

Last year I was exceeding $200 a month, every month, in home charging

Yeah, but you are in America. The differential between Home-Electricity and Petrol is very different over here (The best Off Peak rates can be up to 10x less than Petrol), plus you lot think nothing of driving A Long Way. We'd be in the sea if we did that over here!

They all have their benefits, so what would you go for and why? Hopefully you can help me to make my mind up!

I own an MS and and MY. The MY replaced a former M3.

MY = hatchback. M3 boot is plenty big, but there are cargo loads that are much more suited to hatchback - like Dogs (the non-toy ones) or a bicycle, or a chest of drawers

MY = taller. I found the M3 much more fun to drive (chuck it round the bends). M3 had better suspension too.

M3 will ("depends" a bit) give you more range.

I'm in two minds about Performance model. The first MS I had was "P". I decided I rarely used it, and the current MS is "bog standard" (that's still 3.5s 0-60 for an MS). On occasions I do miss the P ... but mostly I'm tootling along the motorway at 70.

IME the "P" is "fully sorted" for launch. I've had plenty of loaners over the years, and every single non-P scrabbled on launch. So, for me, that is a key benefit of "P"

But if you just want some "oomph" you could look for a 2nd hand one that has Acceleration Boost Package already (or build that into the company's purchase price)

The M3P will have a much harsher ride than a non-P. I don't know how much difference there is with MY / MY-P (the bigger, no-profile, tyres will be a big part of that - so if you stick them on a non-P you'll be in similar boat).

If you have long-ish journeys to visit clients (rather than "park at work") I would factor range at the top of my list.

Reactions: Js1977
Sit in the back and you'll find you can get your feet under the front seats. That's quite a significant difference if you're considering rear passengers.
That was one of the reasons we went Y. Didn't get wowed by the 3.
Plus hatchback.
The Y has an annoying design flaw in my book having fully grown over 6 foot boys that unless you have the rear seats in their most upright position their head hits the plastic bar on the roof. Yes they cannot get their feet under the rear seats on a 3 but prefer that over a Y.

I own an MS and and MY. The MY replaced a former M3.

MY = hatchback. M3 boot is plenty big, but there are cargo loads that are much more suited to hatchback - like Dogs (the non-toy ones) or a bicycle, or a chest of drawers

MY = taller. I found the M3 much more fun to drive (chuck it round the bends). M3 had better suspension too.

M3 will ("depends" a bit) give you more range.

I'm in two minds about Performance model. The first MS I had was "P". I decided I rarely used it, and the current MS is "bog standard" (that's still 3.5s 0-60 for an MS). On occasions I do miss the P ... but mostly I'm tootling along the motorway at 70.

IME the "P" is "fully sorted" for launch. I've had plenty of loaners over the years, and every single non-P scrabbled on launch. So, for me, that is a key benefit of "P"

But if you just want some "oomph" you could look for a 2nd hand one that has Acceleration Boost Package already (or build that into the company's purchase price)

The M3P will have a much harsher ride than a non-P. I don't know how much difference there is with MY / MY-P (the bigger, no-profile, tyres will be a big part of that - so if you stick them on a non-P you'll be in similar boat).

If you have long-ish journeys to visit clients (rather than "park at work") I would factor range at the top of my list.
Yes you won’t want a Y without the comfort suspension. With it then it’s fine but a 3 is still noticeably better with the same comfort suspension. We test drove the various combos before ordering my wife’s 3.

3 LR = Most comfortable
3 Performance = Model Y LR. Quite similar here.
Model Y Performance = Worst of the lot. Still acceptable but maybe if you are doing a lot of long journeys and want a Y I’d go LR.

For a 3 you should be comfortable enough in either, just you’ll get some more range for trading in performance of course with a LR. Those wheels do make a good amount of difference.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Thought of one additional point.

My elderly / infirm father in law will saw that getting in / out is much easier in the MY, tolerable in the M3 and impossible in the MS :)

I can attest to this. My Mrs always take the Y when she has to move some of her elderly clients about. Also helps with wheel chairs.

One more thing I would add is the the Y has higher towing capacity if thats your bag.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
The Y has an annoying design flaw in my book having fully grown over 6 foot boys that unless you have the rear seats in their most upright position their head hits the plastic bar on the roof. Yes they cannot get their feet under the rear seats on a 3 but prefer that over a Y.
Curious! Both my son and daughter are over 6'2" and haven't found this to be a problem but it's the foot space that wad found limiting. That's why it's important to consider many factors with different vehicles and not just the driver. 🙂

Curious! Both my son and daughter are over 6'2" and haven't found this to be a problem but it's the foot space that wad found limiting. That's why it's important to consider many factors with different vehicles and not just the driver. 🙂
So are you saying even if the rear seats are reclined fully their heads don't hit the plastic roof bar first before the seats headrests? It's fine upright but makes it pointless having a recline feature for tall passengers.

I prefer the Y over the 3, had a LR 3 and now have the LR Y to me the comfort and ease of getting in is better on the Y, I wouldn't consider the P on either the 3 or Y as the LR is plenty fast for me - I'd also get a lot more tellings off from Mrs F when hitting the accelerator than what I do on the LR.

I just tried this, see what you mean now, hadn't noticed it before. :) I'm 6'1" and it's just the tip of what's left of my hair. I can slump down a shade or just move the seat to the one position forward. I'll see how my daughter gets on with a road trip to Italy, she's taller.
Yes it feels like a bit of a design flaw if you ask me unless there’s some absolute reason that roof bar cannot go slightly further back in the car. My gut feeling is they’ll fix this in the Juniper refresh of the Model Y.

Yes it feels like a bit of a design flaw if you ask me unless there’s some absolute reason that roof bar cannot go slightly further back in the car. My gut feeling is they’ll fix this in the Juniper refresh of the Model Y.
I must admit that when I put the seat forward one notch, I didn't feel it was going to make much difference but then I'm not the one in the back for a long trip.
Daughterbrat will have the entire rear to slob around in and any complaints will merely be met with a resounding invite for her to drive her own car and follow next time.
Kids today don't know they're born etc. We didn't even have seat belts and parents who thought driving to Scotland with my sister and I in the back of a convertible with the roof down was a fun thing to do (frozen!). 😁