Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fobs occasionally not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes my key fob does not work. The issue happens with both fobs and I am not getting a battery message. If I approach the car, sometimes it does not open and I have to waive the key around. Even pushing the buttons does not seem to wake it up. It seems to happen about 1 out of 5 times. On rare occasions, I have to open the car with my phone. Also, when inside the car with the key fob, sometimes it says "key not in vehicle". Again, waiving it around usually fixes it but occasionally I have to start it with my phone.

It is really odd, because I walk by the car during the day at work and many times it presents handles when I am 10 feet away. The bug seems to happen just occasionally, and usually when I am leaving and in a hurry.

Anyone else seen this and are there any settings I should adjust to fix? 2016 85D (pre-facelift).

Sometimes my key fob does not work. The issue happens with both fobs and I am not getting a battery message. If I approach the car, sometimes it does not open and I have to waive the key around. Even pushing the buttons does not seem to wake it up. It seems to happen about 1 out of 5 times. On rare occasions, I have to open the car with my phone. Also, when inside the car with the key fob, sometimes it says "key not in vehicle". Again, waiving it around usually fixes it but occasionally I have to start it with my phone.

It is really odd, because I walk by the car during the day at work and many times it presents handles when I am 10 feet away. The bug seems to happen just occasionally, and usually when I am leaving and in a hurry.

Anyone else seen this and are there any settings I should adjust to fix? 2016 85D (pre-facelift).
That happened to me this morning. The car ignored both my key and my husband's key. If if clicked the fob, the parking lights would flash, but it wouldn't let me disconnect from the charger. I finally got the handles to open by poking them then everything worked fine. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Last time I changed batteries, and it worked, but the battery I took out was fine when I checked it. 2018 S 100D Perhaps the car is having a hard time adjusting to daylight savings time. I know I am!