Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Model 3 owner, and I'm trying to work through some issues. The main one is, I use the key card as the only key for myself, my wife uses her pixel. When alone, after I drive a few minutes, I get the notice NO KEY DETECTED, WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTART CAR AFTER THIS DRIVE. It does let me continue driving, so I haven't been stranded yet. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that there's only one phone linked with the car, and it's not present. Which brings me to the second issue that I think is connected to this problem. My wife only drives the car 1-2 times a week, but the car always sets to her profile, which isn't a big deal, but she doesn't use easy entry, so I have to reach in to change the profile. Not big problems, just annoying, any insight would be appreciated.

I'm a new Model 3 owner, and I'm trying to work through some issues. The main one is, I use the key card as the only key for myself, my wife uses her pixel. When alone, after I drive a few minutes, I get the notice NO KEY DETECTED, WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RESTART CAR AFTER THIS DRIVE. It does let me continue driving, so I haven't been stranded yet. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that there's only one phone linked with the car, and it's not present. Which brings me to the second issue that I think is connected to this problem. My wife only drives the car 1-2 times a week, but the car always sets to her profile, which isn't a big deal, but she doesn't use easy entry, so I have to reach in to change the profile. Not big problems, just annoying, any insight would be appreciated.
I would add ur phone as a key too. Also, w I was having this same problem of the key not being detected and discovered that you should leave the Tesla app running on ur phone to avoid the issue. I haven’t had any trouble after I stopped closing out of the Tesla app.

If you don’t keep the key card where the car can detect it, I’m not surprised you’re seeing that message. Is there a specific reason why you don’t want to use your phone as a key?
I was keeping the key card where it was supposed to be, but after a week of acting up everyday, the problem seems to have somehow resolved itself. I don't have a phone to connect 🤫. Thanks for the replies.

If you start the drive with the key card, you need to keep the key card by the cup holders. Get something that will hold the card there.

1631198090883.png