Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, I just leave my model S key naked in my pocket. I have finally gotten to the point where I no longer need to carry a key ring around. My model S is my only car and I have locks with a keypad on the house. (Although I use the garage most of the time anyway)

Reactions: Fiddler
Using it naked with the model X keychain.

20171230_173506.jpg

Not sure about *that* one but I’ve seen threads about the metal ‘cases’ reducing range and even having the car report no fob inside.

I use the AO silicone ones for protection, stickiness and to hold the two keys I have left (home and office).

Also, for those that have the situation, the AOs also come in neon colors for finding them in the bottom of a purse. My GF can never find her keys for her ICE so that would be a good idea if she had an S or X. (She’s getting a 3 which won’t have that issue!)

I too got the aluminum case and love it. I feel like there is less chance of me closing doors on myself. I bought 2 TopFit models, but afterwards I found a cheaper model that looks just as good (haven't tried it).

I haven't had any issues with the fobs while in the case (for past 2 months). Haven't noticed any difference in range and have never had the "no fob in car" issue. It does not fully encase the fob, so it won't act like a Faraday cage.

This is by far my most favorite fob case I've tried, and I prefer it over the string lanyard that it came with.

Got this one off eBay I think is great. Don't have falcon wing doors close on me when I'm putting kids in the back. The doors would close with key in my pocket getting squished. Never happened again since I put these on. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0768FD7WM...3&colid=LV7H8KYAFYOL&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20&th=1
Doors won't close on you if you turn off 'close on single click' which I think is one of the stupider options. Might work great if people didn't put keys in their pockets! :D

First thing I did was turn that off, and now you click three times for closing/locking all doors.