Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob Issues with 2016 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my keyfob from second floor aaand it landed on concrete (murphy's law). It came apart, the bottom cover, battery, left side and its little gullwing door button.
Other than the gullwing button, I found all of the pieces and put it together. The key opens the frunk, the trunk and even unlocks the car with two clicks. It does not auto unlock when you walk to the car and the car says the key is not in the car when you put the car in to D. No problems with my spare key. I wonder something like an antenna broke with the fall.

Anyone have any ideas, before I start chasing a new key. This is a 2016 MX. It seems I need to get SC to program it or me if I get a new key. It could be risky to live with one key.

Thanks
Onur

I dropped my keyfob from second floor aaand it landed on concrete (murphy's law). It came apart, the bottom cover, battery, left side and its little gullwing door button.
Other than the gullwing button, I found all of the pieces and put it together. The key opens the frunk, the trunk and even unlocks the car with two clicks. It does not auto unlock when you walk to the car and the car says the key is not in the car when you put the car in to D. No problems with my spare key. I wonder something like an antenna broke with the fall.

Anyone have any ideas, before I start chasing a new key. This is a 2016 MX. It seems I need to get SC to program it or me if I get a new key. It could be risky to live with one key.

Thanks
Onur
You will need to purchase a brand new key from Tesla Service (open a service ticket). The New key can only be programmed (attached to the vehicle) by Tesla, there is no way to do this yourself. Model X keys have always been a huge PIA, sometimes taking hours to get them set up correctly. A big problem is getting them setup with unique IDs (keyfob1, keyfob2 etc). You will need to take all fobs with you for the appointment. Theoretically Mobile Service can perform the task, but since the process is so finicky, most mobile techs do not want to take on the task.

Reactions: mbp11 and Oceanwolf