Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless driving error "Key Fob Not in Car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm experiencing an issue where....

1) In the Tesla app I unlock the car, and enable "keyless driving"

2) Once in the car, I see the "Keyless driving enabled... " message.

3) When I put my foot on the brake pedal, a message saying "Key fob not in car" pops up.

4) No combination of brakes, gear selector, use of the app, or resetting the instrument cluster and media screen allows me to actually start driving the car (instrument cluster never shows driving mode)

The car has firmware 2018.6.1 641efac

Anyone else experience this?

(Side note: I called the local SC. The scheduling person kept saying "you probably need a new key fob battery". *le sigh*)
Mobile Service came out today to fix the problem on my car a ModelX100. Yesterday Mobile Service was a here to program two new FOBS. The tech said it may not work and that programming FOBs on the ModelX had been "hit or miss". He failed and left said he would be back on Monday. I had been using the App for two weeks while I waited for the new FOBS. After a few hours I went to go out dinner. Much to my dismay the condition described above came about. I now had no car! Outraged I wrote a blistering piece in the service section of the app demanding service the next day. I got it first thing in the morning and they fixed the problem you describe above. GREAT Service much appreciated!!