Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone Key and FOB - keycard still required to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cgell

Jan 30, 2020
NJ
I noticed a while back that whenever Sentry was triggered the vehicle would require me to either manually unlock from the app or use a keycard. I decided to get a FOB because members here had done the same for this issue. The same issue still occurs sometimes. That's not even the problem that concerns me now....

There is a new problem that I am experiencing - I got into the vehicle and tried to put it in gear (again, phone and FOB on me) and it said I had to use the keycard. I made sure the app was open, bluetooth was on, I tried putting the FOB on the spot where the keycard goes... only the keycard worked. When I check which keys are set up it shows the current time for the FOB, so it is detecting it.

I reset the vehicle and hope that works for now, but I have done that before and it randomly keeps happening. Any ideas? I just want to be able to reliably start the vehicle and feel silly carrying three different things just to be sure I can drive. Not hating on the vehicle - I love it. This issue is annoying though.

Currently on 2023.32.7

That is really odd. My understanding is that recent updates allowed the time to put the car in gear having used a keycard or other RFID without scanning in the interior center console reader.

This works for me consistently and I will explain. I work in a space where I cannot have my phone or any other personal electronic device. As such, I purchased a carbon fiber RFID ring. When I park in the morning, I turn off Bluetooth to ensure the car cannot unlocked with the phone key in the console of the car. I lock it with my ring when I go into the facility, and I unlock it with my ring when I come back out. When I get in the car, I put my foot on the brake and put it in drive with no issues.

I would assume that the FOB should function just like my ring key that I set up myself.

That is really odd. My understanding is that recent updates allowed the time to put the car in gear having used a keycard or other RFID without scanning in the interior center console reader.

This works for me consistently and I will explain. I work in a space where I cannot have my phone or any other personal electronic device. As such, I purchased a carbon fiber RFID ring. When I park in the morning, I turn off Bluetooth to ensure the car cannot unlocked with the phone key in the console of the car. I lock it with my ring when I go into the facility, and I unlock it with my ring when I come back out. When I get in the car, I put my foot on the brake and put it in drive with no issues.

I would assume that the FOB should function just like my ring key that I set up myself.

Excellent solution to your edge case situation!

Reactions: beachztt
I had a situation this morning where my phone was low on battery so I tried using the keycard and it still wouldn't unlock. Plus, my wall charger was connected to the car and that wouldn't come out either. I ended going back inside, charging my phone and then using my phone to unlock. Does anybody know if the problem with the keycard not working had anything to do with the charger being in?

I had a situation this morning where my phone was low on battery so I tried using the keycard and it still wouldn't unlock. Plus, my wall charger was connected to the car and that wouldn't come out either. I ended going back inside, charging my phone and then using my phone to unlock. Does anybody know if the problem with the keycard not working had anything to do with the charger being in?
Not related to the charger being in.

Did you make sure the car was awake? Pull handle then try card?

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
Sad to say, its not your keyfob. This happens with my fob all the time. I dont have a phone so I exclusively rely on the fob and its unpredictability is annoying. I'm getting tired of seeing that big red eyeball thingy on the screen saying a sentry alert was triggered while I stand outside in the cold waiting for the car to unlock. I also get the key not detected message while driving. Eventually, if you wait long enough the car will unlock or the keycard not found message will disappear and all will be well.

I especially like when you're driving down the road and alarms go off and the message "keycard not found car may not restart" appears on screen. If I do nothing, it eventually goes away.

The problem of unlocking the car with the fob seems to be more common if someone with a phone approaches the car at the same time as my fob approaches. So if your wife with a phone, as a passenger, approaches the car at the same time as you with a fob, the driver, approaches, you're in for a long wait to unlock. My understanding is both the phone and the fob use bluetooth and would seem to point to a problem in that area.

Double tapping the fob always immediately unlocks the car. I've just learned to accept this as one of the foibles of an otherwise great car.