Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy Model X Key Fob Modification for Keyless Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello~ I recently moved from a M3 to a 2019MX and I wish I drill had the keyless entry functionality via the phone.

Previously I only carried my wallet but now I need the fob or use the app to start the vehicle.
Has anyone implemented or considered using a 3D printer to create a flat key (with or without buttons)?

From Googling, it looks like it's been done for other car makes (example: 3D print a thinner car key)

Image of key PCB from
Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 7.47.26 AM.png

Is it worth while to buy another key and have it programmed to the car though

I found keys on eBay for ~$90 - I reached out via the app and they said they would not reprogram used keys and you have to buy direct from the Tesla store.
Tesla Service: We do not install or program parts purchased from outside vendors, we only install and program parts purchased from the - ts.la/inbox

That being said a new key with programming and tax (MA) was ~$205.

I’m thinking of alternatives like having my phone (iPhone) search for a Bluetooth signal and trigger an unlock / lock

Right so I’d make an IFTTT or apple shortcut to trigger but I’ll need to look into the Bluetooth. I don’t think the MCU broadcasts until you step on the pedal so it’d need to be something Bluetooth low energy.

“Easy” route is definitely the key pcb but looking at all my options before committing