Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyless Entry behaviour with 2019.36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious about other peoples' experience: Until today I hadn't set up my phone to work as a key with my Model 3 – too many stories of thefts using Bluetooth boosters here in the UK.

Nevertheless, I thought I would test it today, with unusual (and ideal!) results.

Pocketing my phone and walking away from my car locks it (with, obviously, Walk-away Door Lock enabled).

However, walking up the to the car DOESN"T unlock it. I need to hit the button in the app, or use the key card.

This is exactly the behaviour I want, however I'm slightly paranoid that I'm missing something, as the manual implies that the car should unlock automatically with proximity as well.

Have Tesla responded to the theft threat and modified the car's behaviour in 36.2.1? If so, is it UK specific? Or am I missing something.

Thanks Hive Mind.

Curious about other peoples' experience: Until today I hadn't set up my phone to work as a key with my Model 3 – too many stories of thefts using Bluetooth boosters here in the UK.

Nevertheless, I thought I would test it today, with unusual (and ideal!) results.

Pocketing my phone and walking away from my car locks it (with, obviously, Walk-away Door Lock enabled).

However, walking up the to the car DOESN"T unlock it. I need to hit the button in the app, or use the key card.

This is exactly the behaviour I want, however I'm slightly paranoid that I'm missing something, as the manual implies that the car should unlock automatically with proximity as well.

Have Tesla responded to the theft threat and modified the car's behaviour in 36.2.1? If so, is it UK specific? Or am I missing something.

Thanks Hive Mind.

If you disconnect Bluetooth on your phone then reconnect it will work on proximity. Mine did exactly as you say this morning but now works fine.

Thanks Hive Mind.
I have heard of cars being stolen using keyless entry boosters but were they bluetooth? is bluetooth how the keyless entry works on other makes of car? I know its RF but is it BT?
At least we a Tesla all they could do is get in not actually steal it, assuming you have pin to drive enabled.

Never heard of a BT relay attack, not sure one's ever been seen in the wild. Keyless entry remote relay attacks are pretty common, but they use completely different technology and radio link frequencies.

BT should be be pretty damned secure by design, plus the very short range of the proximity detection probably makes a relay attack very difficult, if not impossible.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Thanks Hive Mind.

The phone is probably working, you are just trying to open the door before the car sees it. If you keep your phone in your back pocket, then you block the signal. Just take your phone out, don't unlock it and then hold the door handle open, it will probably open in a few seconds.
Also make sure that your phone is listed as a key, it's possible to have it paired for audio, but not as a key.

I'm pretty sure that Model 3s aren't getting jacked, that's other Teslas that don't use Bluetooth.

I got 2019.36.2.1 Thursday night. On Friday night, keyless entry failed for my trip home, and I had to use the key card. Same phone, same settings, had not been using airplane mode. Keyless entry had worked fine on Friday morning, and has been working fine over the weekend.

I have heard of cars being stolen using keyless entry boosters but were they bluetooth? is bluetooth how the keyless entry works on other makes of car? I know its RF but is it BT?
At least we a Tesla all they could do is get in not actually steal it, assuming you have pin to drive enabled.

Nobody has got into the cars through any boosters worldwide afaik. The only model 3 I heard about was because someone left the car unlocked with card key I believe and no pin in the US.

The key fob hack was for the S mostly that had an older key fob but nothing to do with the phone keys.

I post virtually the complete opposite yesterday in Model 3 sub forum in TMC.

Here’s my experience:

“I park my M3 in my driveway about a meter outside my front door. I have Phone Key setup on my iPhone 11 and was shocked to find out last night that I could unlock the car doors while my phone was still in the house.

I’ve tested this morning and noticed that I could unlock the car with the phone 5/6 meters (16-20ft) away from the car. I turned off Wi-Fi connection in the car and I could still open the car doors with the phone 3/4 meters (10-13ft) inside my house.

This is really concerning, as I was under the impression the car would only passively unlock doors when phone is within 3ft.

I know the iPhone 11 has a new U1 chip for enhanced Bluetooth, but not sure if that’s the issue.

Will call Tesla CS today, but wondering if anyone else has had similar experience, and if so with which phone.

Steps to reproduce
1. Locked the car with app (also locked using Walk Away lock mode). Both ways mirrors closed and car beeped to notify locking.
2. Took phone deep into the house about 15m/50ft and left it there.
3. Walked back to car without the phone or key cards.
4. Pulled door handles and door did not open.
5. Got the Mrs to bring the phone gradually closer, few meters/feet at a time.
6. Pulled door handles while phone was still in the house as it was slowly brought closer.
7. Door opened when phone was still in the house but around 5m/16ft from car.

FYI my M3 SR+ is on the latest 2019.36.2.1 software version. I hadn’t tested this on the previous version.“

Best to switch off Bluetooth on your phone when in the house and you don’t need Bluetooth. Always enable pin to drive. Even if someone gets access to the car they will not be able to drive off with car easily.

If it’s practical, keep the charging cable connected. Could be a surprisingly effective theft deterrent.

Best to switch off Bluetooth on your phone when in the house and you don’t need Bluetooth. Always enable pin to drive. Even if someone gets access to the car they will not be able to drive off with car easily.

If it’s practical, keep the charging cable connected. Could be a surprisingly effective theft deterrent.

I personally do need Bluetooth enabled on my phone for using headphones for long work calls and listening to music/podcasts. It makes no sense to me to disable BT just cause there’s an issue with how crazy big the passive entry range is on my M3.

It’s strange that my range is much bigger than many that have posted on these forums and elsewhere.

In the meantime I’ve remove phone key in my car and and locking/unlocking with the key card like an animal

Last edited:
I post virtually the complete opposite yesterday in Model 3 sub forum in TMC.

Here’s my experience:

“I park my M3 in my driveway about a meter outside my front door. I have Phone Key setup on my iPhone 11 and was shocked to find out last night that I could unlock the car doors while my phone was still in the house.

I’ve tested this morning and noticed that I could unlock the car with the phone 5/6 meters (16-20ft) away from the car. I turned off Wi-Fi connection in the car and I could still open the car doors with the phone 3/4 meters (10-13ft) inside my house.

This is really concerning, as I was under the impression the car would only passively unlock doors when phone is within 3ft.

I know the iPhone 11 has a new U1 chip for enhanced Bluetooth, but not sure if that’s the issue.

Will call Tesla CS today, but wondering if anyone else has had similar experience, and if so with which phone.

Steps to reproduce
1. Locked the car with app (also locked using Walk Away lock mode). Both ways mirrors closed and car beeped to notify locking.
2. Took phone deep into the house about 15m/50ft and left it there.
3. Walked back to car without the phone or key cards.
4. Pulled door handles and door did not open.
5. Got the Mrs to bring the phone gradually closer, few meters/feet at a time.
6. Pulled door handles while phone was still in the house as it was slowly brought closer.
7. Door opened when phone was still in the house but around 5m/16ft from car.

FYI my M3 SR+ is on the latest 2019.36.2.1 software version. I hadn’t tested this on the previous version.“
It’s possible Tesla aren’t checking the signal strength for the unlock. Perhaps that ought to be a configuration setting.

Bluetooth range can actually be reasonably far, certainly far enough in many cases that your car will be in range of your phone if it’s parked on the drive/garage and you’re in the house.

I can unlock/lock my Evezy BMW i3 from the front door of the offices where I work which is about the same distance as you quote. i3s don’t have passive unlock though (not without setting it up with BMW which isn’t possible on Evezy cars).

In your circumstances I’d turn off passive unlocking and make unlocking the car a conscious act with the phone.

Reactions: Roy W.
It’s possible Tesla aren’t checking the signal strength for the unlock. Perhaps that ought to be a configuration setting.

Bluetooth range can actually be reasonably far, certainly far enough in many cases that your car will be in range of your phone if it’s parked on the drive/garage and you’re in the house.

I can unlock/lock my Evezy BMW i3 from the front door of the offices where I work which is about the same distance as you quote. i3s don’t have passive unlock though (not without setting it up with BMW which isn’t possible on Evezy cars).

In your circumstances I’d turn off passive unlocking and make unlocking the car a conscious act with the phone.

I’ve just removed the phone key from the car and am using the key cards now. Way less convenient than any car with passive entry I’ve owned in the past 8 years. Welcome to the future I guess.

This whole issue with phone key passive entry is another selling point for Key Fob, great marketing by Tesla to get another £140 off me. I’ve ordered one now.

Just tested the Bluetooth unlock on my SR+

Car was locked outside, left the phone inside about 10ft from the car. Tried the car and it didn't unlock.

Using an iPhone XR. SR+ is version 2019.36.2.1
Same for me with an iPhone XS Max. It may be that some phones have much stronger BT signals, although I too would be unhappy if my car could be opened when my phone was so far from the car.