Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia e-Niro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
I shall be compelled to drive a new Kia e-Niro for about a month whilst my model 3 is being repaired. I'm pleased because it is a far better alternative to the little ICE hatchbacks typically provided as courtesy cars.

My initial impression is stoic acceptance of the fact that driving this non-Tesla EV feels like a significant downgrade. How old-fashioned all those physical buttons seem! I regularly carp about the quality of Tesla infotainment software in the context of my Apple experiences, but this feels about a decade behind. I think I might be wearing the EV equivalent of a hair shirt for a while. I suppose it will make me value my model 3 more when I get it back.

I may post a more considered review in a few weeks if anyone is interested. If there is anything anyone wants to know about it, let me know and I'll investigate.

Do the doors fall off though?

The OH is thinking of getting an e-niro so I'm hoping you're just seeing it from a Tesla fanboi POV. Does anyone have an objective experience of the e niro?

As per infotainment: already I'm calling BS. The e niro has apple carplay so immediately it's better than Teslas limited walled garden

Reactions: Alan J
Have both the eniro 4+ and model 3 which are different for good reason.
The eniro is much more practical with a bigger boot and also has android auto which I prefer to Tesla maps
Physical buttons are also much easier for defrosting windscreen and Aircon which can be a pain in the Tesla, particularly on bendy roads!
Model 3 is easier to cruise on motorways and long distance though

My parents have the latest Soul EV which is a close cousin. Seems like a good solid car they are very happy with it but the buttons OMG the buttons. Its like the anti Tesla in its design ethos. If there was a function and spare space they put in a button. It makes me feel dizzy just getting in the cabin

The OH is thinking of getting an e-niro so I'm hoping you're just seeing it from a Tesla fanboi POV. Does anyone have an objective experience of the e niro?

As per infotainment: already I'm calling BS. The e niro has apple carplay so immediately it's better than Teslas limited walled garden
Few that know me would call me a Tesla fanboi, on the contrary. The Tesla is both satisfying and irritating in equal measure to me. I do tell people that I would be unlikely to go back to a conventional car, and that I hope there will be other viable options to choose from by the time I come to replace the Tesla.

I can tell you that the Kia feels rough to drive compared to the Tesla. The power delivery and re-gen is nowhere near as smooth. Maybe I'm being unfair to expect that from a less-expensive car.

I agree with your point on CarPlay, I'd love that in my Tesla too. I was referring to the Kia's native menu systems, nav and media. The audio from the sound system in it seems very good. I'm sure there are other things I will like about it too.

Seems a bit harsh to suggest the op is being deliberately disingenuous.
I don't know about Carplay, maybe it does a better job but the Niro is not great for Android auto. the screen is long and thin and AA will only use a 16:9 part of it so a big chunk ends up blank. then Google maps sticks a massive green arrow box in about 40% of it so the map is really small. it is also wired not wireless.
More options or not AA on the Niro feels like a step backwards after using the Tesla system.

img_20210709_133124242-jpg.11011

Reactions: Jeeves
My parents have the latest Soul EV which is a close cousin. Seems like a good solid car they are very happy with it but the buttons OMG the buttons. Its like the anti Tesla in its design ethos. If there was a function and spare space they put in a button. It makes me feel dizzy just getting in the cabin
I like a good button. Much prefer it to a jerky touchscreen

Reactions: m3p_uk
I don't know about Carplay, maybe it does a better job but the Niro is not great for Android auto. the screen is long and thin and AA will only use a 16:9 part of it so a big chunk ends up blank. then Google maps sticks a massive green arrow box in about 40% of it so the map is really small. it is also wired not wireless.
More options or not AA on the Niro feels like a step backwards after using the Tesla system.

Fair enough and I retract it. I just struggle because so many people rave about the Tesla infotainment and I really don't understnad why. Whilst driving it really isn't great at all. A fairly basic in functionality map and, IMHO, An extremely poor media interface. I honestly am not a big fan of it at all, having used things Audios virtual cockpit and the frankly stunning MBUK system which has many more functions including the game changing augmented reality sat nav. You'll never take a wrong turn with that!

Thanks for the screenshot. That does really look shocking. Not a great implementation of Android Auto. I don't mind it being wired TBH it was wired on my last car and I'm used to it. The OH has never had it (OK she'll be carplay but I assume the interface is equally badly planned)

I'll have to test drive and see. Although she's coming from a Nissan juke which also doesn't have the best screen in the world so she might see an improvement.

I have an E-Niro 4+ as the wife's car to go along with my M3P. In many ways it feels a generation before my M3P, even though it's on A 21 plate. Basically, you can't really compare the 2 cars driving experience as they are designed for different customers. However Niro plus points over the M3P

• Warranty, Seven years instead of 4
  • Paint seems more sturdy and wheels less likely to curb.
  • Doesn't attract attention so much less likely to be vandalised. Feels much safer leaving in a supermarket car park for example
  • Useful boot space, makes it an ideal dog/camping trip car
  • Very efficient and in the real world not much in it, range wise
  • The Self driving seems less.. fussy. It's not as advanced as Tesla's and is more subtle but had no issues of phantom braking etc
  • In car tech is much less advanced, with a few annoying features but it's a lot easier to get used to.
  • Never had any issues with it, but there is a dealer in nearly every town so in some ways it's easier to have work done than going to an SC

Ofc I wouldn't trade my M3P for the Niro, but my wife prefers the Niro due to it's "less fancy and trying to be too clever for it's own good nature."

TLDR if you are looking for a Car, not a status symbol or something you can hoon in then personally we rated it higher than the ID3 we tested. Mainly due to lower specification levels in the ID3, interior quality and the ID3 felt like it was designed to meet a checklist.

Reactions: Neilio and Jeeves

This is what swayed me to Tesla - eNiro was going to be the one until I had a test drive weekend with it. (Came from a Sportage).
Found the UI was so clunky and slow, no pinch zoom on maps, couldn't cast video to the screen, so still had to watch videos on my phone (do a lot of waiting around for kids sporting events, so infotainment is important to me).
Couldn't even use bluetooth audio, as sound and video goes out of sync (by design, I'm told).
Plus, you have to pay £25 to upgrade the maps each year.

I do miss AA, but only for Waze, Audible, Plexamp and there are still workarounds for these when I occasionally use them and I feel the Tesla is years ahead in this regard.

Reactions: Jeeves