Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What nonsense? This is the kind of nonsense these experts throw around and it sticks with the general public.

Leaf is far zippier than the Versa, and so is Volt compared to Cruze, and Rav4 EV. I don't even have to mention Model S

INDEED ! Pure nonsense !

And the Tesla powered M-B B-Class certainly scoots and will easily spin the tires with 4 adults onboard (well, actually 3 adults and 1 child (I am just a kid who tries to act like an adult while in public)) :tongue:

Although the 2015 Kia Soul EV boasts an EPA-rated driving range of 93 miles on a single charge, our fully-charged test vehicle displayed a range of 101 miles at the start of our drive. But after traveling only a few hundred yards, indicated range dropped to 96 miles.
Furthermore, I clocked 19.2 miles along the first leg of the loop but, according to the display, the journey cost me 26 miles of range. By the end of our drive, the Soul EV showed 34 miles of remaining range. We drove a total of 47 miles while reducing the EV’s range by 65 miles. To be fair, the drive included a few brisk acceleration events to test the Soul EV’s responsiveness. But the vast majority of the drive consisted of typical city driving.
In terms of MPGe, or the electric equivalent to gasoline miles per gallon, the Soul EV is rated at 120 MPGe city, 92 MPGe highway, and 105 MPGe combined, but kudos to those who can make practical sense of those figures.

Lump,
I saw that too. I wonder exactly how they were driving it, and what the definition of a "few brisk acceleration events" is? I seem to remember in one of the Model S threads where it was found that doing a maximum acceleration from a stop to highway speed (possibly more) consumed 1% of the battery. If you took the 94 mile range of the Soul, and dropped say 1-2 miles for every "acceleration event", I could see them getting a lot fewer miles than projected. It will be interesting to see real world reports when the first few come in shortly. I'll be deciding today on whether to proceed forward with my charger installation.

RT

Called 4 local dealers, one gave a date of 10-15-14 for cars hitting the dealership. Thats the only date provided, others said soon.

RT

I was just contacted by an OC dealer, saying they have their first Soul EV on the lot, and several more arriving within the next week...That's the good news. The bad news is they are charging $2000 over sticker, and have turned the $2000 down, $249/month lease into $3000 down and $375/month.

I was just contacted by an OC dealer, saying they have their first Soul EV on the lot, and several more arriving within the next week...That's the good news. The bad news is they are charging $2000 over sticker, and have turned the $2000 down, $249/month lease into $3000 down and $375/month.

This reminds me of something.... Oh wait! Its exactly what NADA said Tesla would do!

OMG, that is likely a complete deal breaker for me. That and the outrageous $$$ I would have to spend to get the charger into my condo garage. Why on Earth would they announce lease pricing, then raise it up 50% as soon as they start getting cars in stock? Is it possible that dealers are all free to offer whatever plan/pricing they want to? I'll check and see whether the Kia website shows anything about nationwide plans or not. Please keep us posted if you hear anything more.

RT

This is from the Kia website calculator, first for the plus model:

kiaplus.png

And the one for the base model:

kiastandard.jpg

And the Kia website announcing the "anticipated" $249 lease deal:
2015 KIA SOUL EV PRICING ANNOUNCED

"Anticipated lease offer terms of Soul EV base model (73222 LX 2.4L I4 6 A/T FWD): $249 per month for 36 months with $1,999 Due at Signing after $7,500 Federal Tax Credit has been applied to reduce cost of lease. Offer for qualified lessees subject to credit approval, dealer participation and vehicle availability. Offer based on Soul EV base model with MSRP of $33,700 . MSRP excludes destination and handling, taxes, title, license fees, options and retailer charges. Actual prices set by retailer and may vary. Lease offered by Kia Motors Finance (KMF). No security deposit required. Incentives not available for other Kia vehicles. Soul EV expected Fall 2014; initially available in certain California markets only with limited availability. Actual limited time lease offer terms and further details to be announced around vehicle launch."

Other reporting of the lease deal:
Kia Soul EV priced at $33,700*, leases start at $249/month
Kia gives cheap lease deal to Soul EV

That darn fine print will get you every time. Maybe they will come out and actually announce the "further details" now that dealers have them on the lots.

RT

Don't worry. Hyundai/Kia is going to be breathing down their dealer's necks to sell these things. They need the CARB credits. The dealers are just trying to bleed as much as they can out of as many people as they can while they can.

The 'S' in MSRP allows crap like this to happen all the time.

I just IM'd the Irvine location to see what their story was, here is what they had to say:

"We currently do not have any Soul + EV's on the ground here....they are projected to land here on the 15th. If you would like to provide me with your email, I can send you all the info on the vehicle as well as a lease break down."

The 15th corresponds to what I heard earlier...

RT

I just IM'd the Irvine location to see what their story was, here is what they had to say:

"We currently do not have any Soul + EV's on the ground here....they are projected to land here on the 15th. If you would like to provide me with your email, I can send you all the info on the vehicle as well as a lease break down."

The 15th corresponds to what I heard earlier...

RT

That person probably just didn't want to give you too much information over IM. And what they said is probably technically true. But in fact, on Monday they took delivery of the model that was at the OC Auto Show, and quickly leased it.

Here is the text to me on Monday:

" This is [redacted] at Kia of Irvine -- we finally have our very first EV soul on the lot -- It has already been leased. But for the next hour -- if you live close you can come by and drive it!! Two hours ago it was announced that we had 4 blue and 1 white EV Souls coming in within 7 days. Three have already sold. At Kia of Irvine they will be leasing -- with $3000 down on approved credit --for $375 a month not including tax. They are loaded -- except they don't have leather. Most dealers in the area will be charging between $5000 and $6000 extra for the vehicles above window sticker. We are proud to say that we are only going to be charging $2000 over the window sticker."

BTW, loaded without leather = Base model

Seriously..What kind of person would read a text like that, and then run to do business with that dealership?

The difference between the preliminary lease package announced by Kia USA and the reality at the dealership amounts to over $5500 (plus tax) over the 3 years! Sheesh...we're talking a Kia Soul here.

I've got feelers out to the other SoCal dealers, and to Kia Corp...If nobody comes back with something much more reasonable, then I'll get by on gas for a while longer.

Update:

• Kia USA gave me a courtesy call, in response to an email I sent earlier this week. The basic message was that dealers set prices.
  • Two area dealers (one in SD, and one in OC) contacted me to say they received Soul EVs today. Sounds like they each have 4 or 5.
  • You can get the Kia announced lease pricing of $1999 due at signing, and $249/month + tax (Soul EV Base) or $279/month + tax (Soul EV Plus)

I'll drive one tomorrow...

Avitt,
Wow, great news! Cars on the lot, You have to love that. Please let us know how the test drive goes. And what color the + versions are if you happen to see them all. Good luck with the dealer. I had a bad experience getting my last lease, that won't happen again. If I can get $279 and $1,999 I would likely do it.

A guy in a N.Y. Times interview drove it for a week and said he was getting 100 miles to the charge:

"In my week with the Soul EV here in the Bay Area, I consistently managed just shy of 100 miles of driving range per charge, using no extraordinary eco-friendly maneuvers. That is more miles than any other E.V. available, aside from the Tesla Model S, a far more expensive car that is available with battery packs that provide 208 or up to 265 miles of range."

I have not seen a bad review of this car...

RT

Downtown L.A. Kia now has 2 plus models in, a white one and a blue one. I asked about lease pricing and they said they would need to get back to me since they were literally just off the truck. I'm close by there working right now, so I may swing by there on the way home just to confirm I fit (6'4").

RT