Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kia Soul EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tony Williams got 106 miles of range out of a new Soul EV at 62 mph.

My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Official Kia Soul EV thread

A LEAF gets around 84 miles on similar tests.

That was a great read, thanks for sharing. Favorite line, the GOM, perfect name haha: Finally, the “Distance to Empty” (DTE) meter, which I generally refer to as the “Guess-Oh-Meter” (GOM), was observed displaying 112 miles after having driven 1.7 miles.

106 real world miles, not bad at all! Especially considering it is a shoebox on wheels.

Unless I travel on the Autobahn, the average speed on an overland trip using two lane highways with slow trucks, tractors, traffic lights etc is more like 62km/h, not mph in Germany. I'd probably get 130-140 miles to a charge here.

The guys at Green Car Reports are saying that we won't be getting any monthly sales numbers for the Soul EV: "James Hope, Kia's national manager of product communications, refused to break out sales of the electric Soul--following the company's precedent of refusing to say how many hybrid Sonatas it sells."

As long as the car is only available in one state, nationwide sales numbers shouldn't be too hard to chase down.

Are California vehicle registrations public records? It might be possible to get that info from there. If there's no distinction between ICE Soul's and EV ones there, perhaps there's a record of how many white HOV stickers are issued to Souls.

As long as the car is only available in one state, nationwide sales numbers shouldn't be too hard to chase down.

Are California vehicle registrations public records? It might be possible to get that info from there. If there's no distinction between ICE Soul's and EV ones there, perhaps there's a record of how many white HOV stickers are issued to Souls.
California DMV records are not particularly easy to get. As far as I can tell, this is the only way:

Public Records Act and/or Information Practices Act Requests
To make a Public Records Act request (Government Code §6250) and/or an Information Practices Act request (Civil Code §1798 et seq.) for documents other than those documents accessible from the procedures noted so far in this brochure, please write, call, or fax the DMV Legal Affairs Division at:
DMV Legal Affairs Division, M/S E128
2415 1st Avenue
P.O. Box 932382
Sacramento, CA 94232-3820
(916) 657-6469
(916) 657-6243 (fax)
Requests for inspection or copying of public records should sufficiently describe the records so that they can be identified, located, and retrieved by DMV personnel.
The fees for documents not listed in this Fast Facts are at least the actual costs based on the hourly salary rate of each employee(s) involved, multiplied by the time to locate, review and mask confidential information (if needed), program any computer software (if needed), copy, and mail the requested documents, plus a $0.20 per page photocopy charge.
Except for documents or portions of documents that are by law confidential and exempt from disclosure, DMV documents are open to the public. If you are a party to a lawsuit, you or your attorney may consider serving a subpoena at the Legal Affairs Division to obtain documents.
California DMV records also contain the "Motive Type" field, which would indicate E for Electric Drive. That would be sufficient to separate the Soul EVs from the gas Soul vehicles. The main problem is how to formulate the request. I'm sure there are industry analysts do this routinely, so they know exactly how.

Titanium Gray just showed up this morning in both Northern and Southern California!

Titanium Gray.jpg

Up until now we have only had White and Caribbean Blue. Shadow Black is all that is now missing from the party, the one the Hamsters drive... :love:

RT

Unfortunately Soul EV is to be sold only in 5 states and that just isn't very useful for my as I live in one of the other 45 states.

"Kia tells us that the Soul EV will only be available in California, Oregon, New York, New Jersey and Maryland."

Kia Soul EV - Live Images From 2014 LA Auto Show\

I can't even imagine what made them pick NJ and MD over WA or GA where the Leaf has strong sales. Well at least the 5 states they picked follow California's Clean Cars Standards.

CaliforniaAB 149320022005
New JerseyP.L. 2003, Chapter 26620042009
ConnecticutPublic Act 04-8420042008
WashingtonHouse Bill 139720052009
VermontAmendments to Subchapter XI20052009
New YorkChapter III, Subpart 218-820052009
MaineAmendments to Chapter 12720052009
Rhode IslandAir Pollution Control Regulation No. 3720052009
MassachusettsAmendments to the state’s LEV regulations20052009
OregonRegulations (Division 257; OAR 340-256-0220; and Division 12)20062009
ArizonaExecutive Order 2006-1320062011
PennsylvaniaAmendments to Title 25, Chapters 121 and 12620062008
MarylandSenate Bill 10320072011
FloridaExecutive Order 07-1272007
New Mexico
But that is still a big chunk of customers they are ignoring.

Last edited:
First intelligence I have on the gray and black models is that they will arrive in 45 days.

Avitt,
I check 4 Zip codes daily: SF, Pasadena, San Diego and Santa Rosa since each has a 50 mile radius. No Shadow Black models anywhere yet. Do you have any further info on when they might get here? My charger is getting installed on Wednesday (11-26) and it sure would be nice to verify it is working with the new Soul before the electricians left :smile: Otherwise I will have to recruit someone in the area to try it out.

RT

Avitt,
I check 4 Zip codes daily: SF, Pasadena, San Diego and Santa Rosa since each has a 50 mile radius. No Shadow Black models anywhere yet. Do you have any further info on when they might get here? My charger is getting installed on Wednesday (11-26) and it sure would be nice to verify it is working with the new Soul before the electricians left :smile: Otherwise I will have to recruit someone in the area to try it out.

RT

I leased a gray model two weeks ago. At that time, the dealer mentioned that they expected the blacks to arrive in Dec. (But since I was interested in gray, I haven't followed up on the availability of black.)

Interesting that Mr. Cooley called out the inverter whine as being noticeable in the Cnet review above. When walking my dog, I noticed that the Leaf has more whine than Teslas, including the Tesla motor & inverter in the RAV4 EV. The Leaf is almost like a Toyota hybrid whine, but scaled up in proportion with its motor power. The Soul must be much worse for him to call it out like that.