Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kids: Potential Tesla customers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I drive my cars, I often hear kids on street shouting "Oh, that's a Tesla!." When parked, kids would stop and take a closer look at the car etc. One guy stopped and asked me if it is the car that can go 3.3 0-60. Heck, he even knew the technical aspect. Or last time I saw a little girl taking the last glimpse of my car (her head turned back on passenger's seat) on highway as her mom's vehicle pass my car. On Halloween trick or treat, one little kid who looked like literally 4~5 years old saw my Model X parked in front of my home said "Oh my gosh, it is Tesla Model X and they must be rich." We laughed together.

To be honest, I get the feeling that kids know more about Teslas. I talked to some men aged 50-70 and I was surprised many were not aware of Tesla even in 2018! One old guy even asked me if it is Maserati. *Facepalm* My guess is that kids are more natural at googling and searching information online.

It looks like Tesla got great potential customers, especially Model 3 or its cheaper variants, in the next 5 ~ 15 years. I talked with many kids and they all seem to acknowledge Tesla and positive image of the brand, unlike us adults owners who complain for even trivial stuffs.

Until then, I hope Tesla is prosperous and reach out to the Generation Z and Generation Alpha for sustainable energy.

Maybe owners with kids can share interesting stories?

When I drive my cars, I often hear kids on street shouting "Oh, that's a Tesla!." When parked, kids would stop and take a closer look at the car etc. One guy stopped and asked me if it is the car that can go 3.3 0-60. Heck, he even knew the technical aspect. Or last time I saw a little girl taking the last glimpse of my car (her head turned back on passenger's seat) on highway as her mom's vehicle pass my car. On Halloween trick or treat, one little kid who looked like literally 4~5 years old saw my Model X parked in front of my home said "Oh my gosh, it is Tesla Model X and they must be rich." We laughed together.

To be honest, I get the feeling that kids know more about Teslas. I talked to some men aged 50-70 and I was surprised many were not aware of Tesla even in 2018! One old guy even asked me if it is Maserati. *Facepalm* My guess is that kids are more natural at googling and searching information online.

It looks like Tesla got great potential customers, especially Model 3 or its cheaper variants, in the next 5 ~ 15 years. I talked with many kids and they all seem to acknowledge Tesla and positive image of the brand, unlike us adults owners who complain for even trivial stuffs.

Until then, I hope Tesla is prosperous and reach out to the Generation Z and Generation Alpha for sustainable energy.

Maybe owners with kids can share interesting stories?

My 3 year can recognize a Tesla from a distance better than my wife can. ;)

Young people are definitely potential future customers. Not only that, many young students want to grow up and get a job at Tesla or SpaceX. The Elon brands are very appealing to the younger generations, and that's great news for humanity as a whole. I have no doubt kids are smarter and will take better care of this planet than we have been.

Speaking for myself, it wasn't but 10 years ago when I completely wrote electric cars and solar energy off. Because hey, I was gullible and got influenced by big oil and their efforts to lie and deceive. They were very convincing. Now I know I made a mistake, the least I can do right now is to drive a 100% EV and try to set a good example. Most of the kids I know are fully onboard with renewal energy and going green, so I have no doubt they'll do better than us.

Reactions: Maximilien
From my experience, kids now are more aware of Teslas than most adults. On the Big Island of hawaii there aren't even that many Teslas but I hear "oh look its a Tesla" quite a lot from kids.
My daughters kindergarten teacher told me last month that one of the boys was playing with a toy car and saying "my Lamborghini is the fastest car". My daughter told him "no, Tesla is the fastest". He replied "Its a Tesla then". The teacher thought it was hilarious and now the whole class has an impression of Tesla. At this rate, the next generation of drivers are all going to want Teslas.

From my experience, kids now are more aware of Teslas than most adults. On the Big Island of hawaii there aren't even that many Teslas but I hear "oh look its a Tesla" quite a lot from kids.
My daughters kindergarten teacher told me last month that one of the boys was playing with a toy car and saying "my Lamborghini is the fastest car". My daughter told him "no, Tesla is the fastest". He replied "Its a Tesla then". The teacher thought it was hilarious and now the whole class has an impression of Tesla. At this rate, the next generation of drivers are all going to want Teslas.

That's crazy at the level they know about cars.

When I was in kindergarten, all I thought was candies, toys and playing with friends on the playground. To me car was something that just moves from A to B. Cars were not something I would think at that age. Even if someone would tell me about cars, I would not have been interested at all.

Time to buy more Tesla stocks. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Brando and TT97
By the time they're driving, personal vehicle ownership will probably be in steep decline at least in significantly populated areas (small towns and rural areas will take the longest). Only the stubborn jerks like me who refuse to share things and like personal space will still be buying cars for themselves.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and TT97
It Tesla was smart they would come out with a city scooter and motorcycle, so the younger generation can start adopting a more affordable technology in high school and college. This is especially important in urban areas since we pay ridiculous parking and tolls and motorcycles are exempt from tolls in Virginia.

cfc6fc23-07d1-409f-a708-dc052bd8fbc4-large16x9_I66ReverseTolls_5pm_VO_frame_998.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing and outdoors
It Tesla was smart they would come out with a city scooter and motorcycle, so the younger generation can start adopting a more affordable technology in high school and college. This is especially important in urban areas since we pay ridiculous parking and tolls and motorcycles are exempt from tolls in Virginia.

Elon said Tesla will never build motorcycles (he had a bad personal experience). I am assuming scooters fall in the same category.

Elon needs to listen to his market, just because he's a crappy driver doesn't mean the rest of us are... he also wrecked a McLaren F1, but still built the Model S, he wrecked a couple of marriages, a motorcycle, he shouldn't be the litmus test for the market. Maybe Tesla should do an informal survey to see if the market wants a 3 wheel motorcycle, like this... Elio Motors | The next big thing in transportation!

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: MXWing and GreenT
Teslas are very rare in my area. I can count the number I've ever seen in my home county (~250,000 people) on one hand. That said, there are exactly 3 car-related conversations that ever occur in random encounters:

1) "What the hell is that thing? A DeLorean or something?" These people are always over 70.

2) "Hey cool, a Tesla. I'm really thinking about looking at one of those next month/year/whenever I need to replace my car. How do you like it?" Followed by some variant of "I have range anxiety." These people are always 35-50 and professionals.

3) "ZOMG it's a Tesla. It's so beautiful. Can I touch it? I LOOOVE Tesla! Elon is my hero. I'm definitely getting one of those in a few years!" These people are always college-aged, or younger - and I've had more of these than conversation #1 or #2. I'm never quite sure exactly what to say...

• Funny
Reactions: Arpe and Maximilien