Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kilowatt hour capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings. I am in need of help. My tax person is asking for my 2022 m3p “Kilowatt Hour Capacity “ they indicated it should be a percentage.
How do I find it? I could not find it on the in car screen, Nor a how to with an internet search.

I do not know why they need it.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
kWh is a unit in itself, you wouldn't express it as a percentage. Tesla don't publish the size of the pack in their cars (in kWh) but people have made great estimates, and they can be seen using an CAN bus reader and software like ScanMyTesla. I don't remember the exact value but someone else will certainly respond.
Ideally you'd learn what they need this for since they are asking for a percentage and that doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Flatbroke
kWh is a unit in itself, you wouldn't express it as a percentage. Tesla don't publish the size of the pack in their cars (in kWh) but people have made great estimates, and they can be seen using an CAN bus reader and software like ScanMyTesla. I don't remember the exact value but someone else will certainly respond.
Ideally you'd learn what they need this for since they are asking for a percentage and that doesn't make sense.
I invested way too much time trying to find it yesterday. I saw the message after business hours. I should have checked here first. Silly me lol

I invested way too much time trying to find it yesterday. I saw the message after business hours. I should have checked here first. Silly me lol
It’s published in the EPA documents, available at “iaspub lookup.” (Google) You have to know what to look for (they don’t say “this is the pack capacity”) but the info is there. For cars with identical batteries there is a small variation.

It’s around 81kWh when new for the Performance (2021 and newer). Some vehicles extract around 82kWh in the test.

Nominally it is 82.1kWh.

Performance (2021-20xx?) start showing less than 315 miles at 100% when pack full capacity decreases below about 80.6kWh.

For taxes, the pack is plenty large! Nothing matters in taxes; just fill it in and move on - precision is not required (unless the document with precise numbers has been provided to the IRS of course)!!! (Not legal advice.)

Last edited:
Is this for filling out IRS form 8936? If so, then I'm wondering if your accountant is asking because there is a stipulation that the vehicle's battery must be more than 4kWh. It doesn't appear on the form but when you put in the car year, make and model then they will know. So maybe they are asking to head off any problems. But if it's for a Tesla then that ship sailed a long time ago as they used their pre-2023 IRS tax credit allowance in late 2019 approximately. Naturally, there's the new form for 2023 and I have no idea what that form is now. But that would be filled out for 2023 cars and wouldn't be completed until next year at this time. If they are asking for a state form then I have no idea on that. Just tell them 81kWh like Alan said.

Reactions: jjrandorin
It’s published in the EPA documents, available at “iaspub lookup.” (Google) You have to know what to look for (they don’t say “this is the pack capacity”) but the info is there. For cars with identical batteries there is a small variation.

It’s around 81kWh when new for the Performance (2021 and newer). Some vehicles extract around 82kWh in the test.

Nominally it is 82.1kWh.

Performance (2021-20xx?) start showing less than 315 miles at 100% when pack full capacity decreases below about 80.6kWh.

For taxes, the pack is plenty large! Nothing matters in taxes; just fill it in and move on - precision is not required (unless the document with precise numbers has been provided to the IRS of course)!!! (Not legal advice.)
Thank you.

Is this for filling out IRS form 8936? If so, then I'm wondering if your accountant is asking because there is a stipulation that the vehicle's battery must be more than 4kWh. It doesn't appear on the form but when you put in the car year, make and model then they will know. So maybe they are asking to head off any problems. But if it's for a Tesla then that ship sailed a long time ago as they used their pre-2023 IRS tax credit allowance in late 2019 approximately. Naturally, there's the new form for 2023 and I have no idea what that form is now. But that would be filled out for 2023 cars and wouldn't be completed until next year at this time. If they are asking for a state form then I have no idea on that. Just tell them 81kWh like Alan said.
Thanks.