Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knocking in the Front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we sure some aren't confusing the "knock" with the sound of the breaks engaging\disengaging from "hill hold"? I know that most of the time my car makes an audible sound that lines up with my experience with how breaks sound when they are engaging\disengaging and sure enough it lines up perfectly with the use of "hill hold" which I have found is my favorite non-AP 7.0 feature. :)

Jeff

The service center determined that the knocking or thumping issue is caused by a component of the braking system. Fortunately they have also confirmed that it is not serious, but they don't have the part yet. I understand that the new part has been improved so that this issue should not occur again (hopefully).

I have a follow-up appointment scheduled for next month. So, another update is forthcoming!

The service center determined that the knocking or thumping issue is caused by a component of the braking system. Fortunately they have also confirmed that it is not serious, but they don't have the part yet. I understand that the new part has been improved so that this issue should not occur again (hopefully).

I have a follow-up appointment scheduled for next month. So, another update is forthcoming!

Good news that it was confirmed and can be addressed.

Within the past two weeks I noticed that when my Model S starts up there is often a knocking sound in the front, coming from somewhere under the dash and right behind the steering wheel. It also happens at certain times while I am driving at slower speeds and when braking, so it could be something in the braking system.

Has anyone else had this happen? This is even with the new firmware version 7.1. When I started the update and as the systems were restarting the first time, I noticed the knocking sound then too.

The good news is that aside from this unusual sound, everything else seems to be working well. There have been no messages or alerts either.

In case you dont have a definitive answer yet, that sound is an upper control arm. Apparently, they can wear prematurely. I had one start making that sound around 35k, and I think that's much too soon to be having suspension problems on a non-air car.

To you current owners, are the reliability issues that I've been reading all over the place valid? The more time I spend in this forum the more uneasy I get that I already paid my deposit. :(

I had the same thought, but reading through forums is not a great indicator of everyone's experience. People usually only post on forums when they have an issue, so if they don't post about a car that has no issues. It's an inherently biased sample.

But I do admit at least in my experience with a 2014 model vehicle, I've had to take it to service for a lot more than I had hoped. The vast majority of items were QC related, mostly small things here and there. The only major things were an abnormal drive unit noise (fully operational vehicle, just an annoying noise) and a leaky pano. But every time I took it in, Tesla provided me with a loaner better than my current car, and took exceptional care of me. Other smaller things were mostly wind noise related.

I doubt that cars coming off the line now will have nearly as many issues. From what I've seen in newer loaner cars and store display vehicles, the cars have changed a lot. Better quality materials and better fit and finish.

In case you dont have a definitive answer yet, that sound is an upper control arm. Apparently, they can wear prematurely. I had one start making that sound around 35k, and I think that's much too soon to be having suspension problems on a non-air car.

For me, I'm not sure it is a control arm because they said the new part will be an iBooster. I am guessing that this is it: Charged EVs | Bosch’s new iBooster improves regenerative braking

If you can generate a thumping/knocking sound reliably when going down to 4 MPH, then you might need that part.