Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

kWh and Wh/Mi Data from Third Party Apps vs Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just drove from OC to San Diego. First "long" drive (150 miles) for our new MY LR. Upon her return, I reviewed drive date on three apps: TeslaFi, TezLabs and Nikola. The total distance and average speed on each matched the car but total kWh and Wh/Mi was different. TezLabs and Nikola reported a similar 310/311 Wh/mi but TeslaFi reported a much better 274 Wh/mi. The onboard car data showed 307.

To figure out what’s going on, I went into Teslafi app and found there is a setting where I can adjust the kWh factor in terms of how it does the calcs within the program. Messed around with the settings and found that 1.058 factor allowed Teslafi to match up (exactly) with what the car reported (307 Wh/mi). So now, Teslafi matches the car data and the other two apps are off a bit. So in summary: TeslaFi was way off without adjusting the kW factor and the other two were pretty close. Anyone else study this or have thoughts/comments?

PS...307 average is not impressive considering the car was on Chill Mode and my wife was driving 65-70 a good part of the trip. I ran cacls afterwards and determined true range (based on this drive) was in the 230-250 range, NOTHING close to the rated 316.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
I guess the consumption was for the roundtrip? I've noticed in the past that driving south gave me better mpg for some reason (not with the Tesla). Also the hills at San Clemente, and from Oceanside to downtown San Diego will increase consumption.

The data coming back via the API these apps are using doesn't include wH/mi they are having to extrapolate given other pieces of information. The 100% accurate data is going to be available only in-car right now.

Right now the API includes
Odometer (distance)
Range (mi/km/%)
Power (at that moment)

Using the first two you can know the efficiency of a drive. If you drove 100 miles but used 200 miles of range you know you were 50% efficient. If you have a static wH/mi for a given vehicle config you can get a pretty accurate wH/mi. At that point, it's still a guess, though. Maybe one day Tesla will surface the actual data via the API.

• Informative
I have had my MY for just over a week and have a 50 mile round trip commute. About 50% of the commute is freeway driving. I have my TACC set to 5 miles over speed limit. My cars Wh/mile to date is 245. My average since my last charge is 237 so I’m almost getting the actual rated range of 315. I had a M3 LeMR and when I traded it in with just over 15,000 miles my Wh/mi was 222 which was almost 20% better than rated range. My range is slowly getting better so I’d expect to get the rated range.

828A4241-1C59-4A9B-9248-B0A26D237768.jpeg

• Informative