Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd Party App Accuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using TeslaFi for the last month and I like it. But I figured I’d give Tessie a try as well as a comparison. By comparing I've noticed that the two sites produce very different data for the same drive. I’ve noticed that Tessie has significantly higher watts per mile than TeslaFi. For example, I just drove from Queens to my house in north Jersey. It was a 23 mile drive. I’m pretty sure the car said I got 196 watts per mile. However TeslaFi has that drive at 175 watts per mile and Tessie has it at 207. So neither is correct or is it the car that's wrong?

I’m not sure how this happens as I thought these sites just leverage the car’s data. But the TeslaFi and Tessie show a noticeable difference in kWh used on the trip.

Is this a known issue with the third party apps? I really like TeslaFi but it sort of ruins the whole point of it if the data isn’t accurate. I've also found it to be missing some long drives. Not sure why that's happening.

I don't have the exact answer but maybe some pieces of information. The car only accounts for energy spent in "Drive" when reporting usage for a drive. 3rd party applications call the api at fixed intervals, like once per minute for example. It's not 100% clear what they read: they could read remaining energy in the battery and extrapolate consumption between two reads, maybe there's an api that indicates current consumption etc. Polling might miss the first 30 seconds of a drive. I know TeslaFi has a factor you can edit to adjust consumption...
Going by remaining battery capacity is flawed because the battery changes temperature and that in turn affects the estimated remaining capacity. I would trust the car more than the others because in theory it at least has a better chance to estimate actual spent power. With that said, I also use TeslaFi and appreciate the data it provides. It might not be perfect to the Wh but it's still useful.

I don't have the exact answer but maybe some pieces of information. The car only accounts for energy spent in "Drive" when reporting usage for a drive. 3rd party applications call the api at fixed intervals, like once per minute for example. It's not 100% clear what they read: they could read remaining energy in the battery and extrapolate consumption between two reads, maybe there's an api that indicates current consumption etc. Polling might miss the first 30 seconds of a drive. I know TeslaFi has a factor you can edit to adjust consumption...
Going by remaining battery capacity is flawed because the battery changes temperature and that in turn affects the estimated remaining capacity. I would trust the car more than the others because in theory it at least has a better chance to estimate actual spent power. With that said, I also use TeslaFi and appreciate the data it provides. It might not be perfect to the Wh but it's still useful.
It’s just odd how TeslaFi is consistently low and Tessie is consistently high. I guess I’ll just make do with the data now knowing that it’s a little low on the TeslaFi side of things.

For completeness, that vendor thread is here:

Reactions: zoomer0056