Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LA to Bryce Canyon Charging Question for M3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

How many of you have done this trip? I am mostly over range anxiety but have never gone further than a one super charge stop. I plan to drive to Bryce and it looks like between St George and Bryce is cutting it close. 15% arrival charge with a lot of elevation change.

I guess i just trust the car but interested in others who have done it. Seems it will be better when the Ceder Creek opens.

Thanks

Hi,

How many of you have done this trip? I am mostly over range anxiety but have never gone further than a one super charge stop. I plan to drive to Bryce and it looks like between St George and Bryce is cutting it close. 15% arrival charge with a lot of elevation change.

I guess i just trust the car but interested in others who have done it. Seems it will be better when the Ceder Creek opens.

Thanks
Elevation changes are not a worry. The car knows the elevation profile of roads and seems to be very accurate in accounting for elevation effects.

And remember, the energy graph is your friend. If it shows you're using more energy than predicted, just slow down. Or, if it's a "clean" road - i.e. one without much gravel on it - just set your follow distance to 1 and sit behind a big rig or a RV.

Not specific to this trip, but if you get a 100ft extension cable and you have your mobile charger, you know you can always find some humans with 'lectricity, and at least you can be sure that even at 120 volts you won't get stuck for too long. And worst case, you can lose some extra weight, leave the kids to wait for you on the flats.

I'm thinking of going to Zion, but coming from California, there sure are a lot of fires all around ...
And to think those great canyons once carried big flowing water. We could use some now.

huh? Did you confuse 100ft extension cord for $100? Buying a Tesla and renting a car instead because i'm worried about range would drive me crazy.

Why? Electric cars are awesome, but they're not a perfect solution to every situation. You're already worrying about range and haven't even started the trip yet. We'll just pay a few bucks and not be concerned with anything.