Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LADWP - can someone help me understand how I will be billed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to order Tesla solar panels (no power wall) and I am trying to understand how I will be billed from LADWP once the system is activated. I don't know if I am just lame, but it is very difficult to figure this out online.

Currently I am in R-1A, Zone 2 on the Tiered billing.

How is overproduction booked? Is it a kWh credit? How/when does it get applied? Will I stay on the Tiered system and the solar will just offset kWh? Or do I get switched to some other rate plan? Sorry for the noob questions, but I need some ELI5 here.

The bill is bizzare and hard to read. But here is how it actually works.

1. LADWP has a "mix" of one-to-one net metering and limited credits for your net kwh returned to the grid. So, in the various "times of use" they first break down high peak, low peak and base. You didn't say how large your system is going to be., but I will go on mine. I also have powerwalls.

2. Because of a large system and the powerwalls, I often see negative Peak, High Peak, and base numbers. So my system builds up a credit, which is converted to dollars. You never get paid for them, you can just use the dollars in your "bank" when you have a period where you owe.

3. LADWP bills every two months. In five of my six two-month cycles, I was a net exporter. So I will go with the November 24 to January 27 bill, which is obviously the worst for solar and the one period where I actually had to pay something.

4. In each time period, you get one-to-one credit. So in low peak and high peak I had a slight, net usage. When you get a bill, its "High peak delivered = 10 minus High peak received = 5 for net of 5. This part of the bill is 1 to 1 net metering. LADWP does it separately for each time period. Because it was winter, I had 1,400 kwh of base (middle of the night to early morning) usage.

5. Then, it was billed at tier 1, for the first 1k, and tier 2 rate for the second 400 odd kwh. This is odd, I would have thought they would bill each time period at the rate for that time period, but no.

6. Then, I had some money in the "bank" - but of the $300 in charges I only was able to use like $140 (even though I had more money left, because some of the charges are not "offsettable" by credits. Its this part of the bill that is NOT 1 to 1 net metering, sort of like 1 to .5 or so.

How will this work for you without powerwalls? I believe what will happen is that your "net low peak" is going to be off the charts negative, and it looks to me like LADWP basically divides the bill into time of use periods, but still gives 1 to 1 credits at this stage, which is very pro-solar. They do not appear to play games where they give you cheaper credits during the day and apply those cheap credits during high priced peak.

Of course, this all depends on the size of your system. I concluded that my powerwalls don't really save any money, I just have them because I wanted them and its nice to have the back up, even though LADWP is very reliable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Southpasfan - thank you so much for the reply...

Let me make sure I get this right.

For a given 2-month period, let's say I have the following usage:

base: 1000 kWh
low-peak: 300 kWh
high-peak: 200 kWh

Then lets say I had production for the same period of 1000 kWh with 800kW being produced during high-peak and 200kWh being produced during low-peak . How do they apply the 1000 kWh? Or do they convert it to a dollar-credit and then apply the dollar credit?

Upvote 0
I'm about to order Tesla solar panels (no power wall) and I am trying to understand how I will be billed from LADWP once the system is activated. I don't know if I am just lame, but it is very difficult to figure this out online.

Currently I am in R-1A, Zone 2 on the Tiered billing.

How is overproduction booked? Is it a kWh credit? How/when does it get applied? Will I stay on the Tiered system and the solar will just offset kWh? Or do I get switched to some other rate plan? Sorry for the noob questions, but I need some ELI5 here.
I would highly recommend getting 2 powerwalls. That way you will run off them at night and not have to worry about using grid power.

Upvote 0
@Southpasfan - thank you so much for the reply...

Let me make sure I get this right.

For a given 2-month period, let's say I have the following usage:

base: 1000 kWh
low-peak: 300 kWh
high-peak: 200 kWh

Then lets say I had production for the same period of 1000 kWh with 800kW being produced during high-peak and 200kWh being produced during low-peak . How do they apply the 1000 kWh? Or do they convert it to a dollar-credit and then apply the dollar credit?
From what I have seen on my bills they first apply during the time period, which under this example is highpeak plus 600 and low peak minus 100 They would apply the extra 600 to low peak and the base, which means you owe for 500 base.

Under this example the system saves money. They do not, oddly, convert excess production to money until after they apply the kwh 1 to 1.

The bill does not show how the "bank" is calculated, so if you are net positive in two of the three (or one of the three) time periods, it looks like you get credit to your bank based upon the cost during that time period.

The main thing is the 1 to 1 on the first calculation is fair. The fact that if you are in a billing period where you owe money the "bank" is not dollar for dollar is unfortunate, but not particularly unfair as far as I can tell.

Because of my powerwalls I have not seen this example, but your example looks good in terms of what you would expect (i.e., no or very little production during base, and over-production othewise).

Reactions: hugh_jassol
Upvote 0