Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laminated on a 627xx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it makes no sense but have almost picked up a Y with 62xxx and laminated windows.

Attachments

• 3B021D24-7137-4E4F-8666-1BD0C4CC4177.jpeg
    3B021D24-7137-4E4F-8666-1BD0C4CC4177.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Love
Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
THANK YOU for saying laminated!! You’re 100% correct in saying that! And YES, interesting that your VIN has laminated windows. I hope they start laminating the rear windows soon, too.
I’m in the glass industry. Laminated, or acoustic (which is laminated) are both correct terms. Double-paned is totally incorrect and could be downright dangerous/fatal in an automotive application if not tempered with vinyl baked in the middle, which makes it laminated. Going in circles :).

I’m in the glass industry. Laminated, or acoustic (which is laminated) are both correct terms. Double-paned is totally incorrect and could be downright dangerous/fatal in an automotive application if not tempered with vinyl baked in the middle, which makes it laminated. Going in circles :).

I WAS in the glass industry as well, worked at Guardian Glass so I know the correct terms as well :)

we picked up our new 603xx yesterday and didn't expect laminated (and it didn't have them). There was another white Y also getting delivered and I looked at the VIN...62775 was his. I had him open the doors and NO laminated windows on front doors. So, if the OP in this thread has them with a 627xx car, his must either be higher than the one I saw or they are producing them randomly.

Can you please measure the thickness of your laminated windows? Trying to figure out if they will retrofit without any other modifications to the front doors. Thanks!

I’m willing to bet they’re thicker than the tempered glass windows in earlier models. And is changing them out worth possibly voiding your warranty because you installed something that was not originally installed with your vehicle? I can almost bet Tesla would tell you they wouldn’t cover anything under warranty if the original windows weren’t in your car, and you say burned out the motor because the window motor wasn’t able to handle the added weight with laminated glass. Those non-laminated windows are much lighter than the laminated ones, and the windows motors COULD be different as well. As well as the trim pieces that surround the windows could also be different.

I learned about laminate vs dual pane from that first thread here.

I wasn’t expecting it because 628xx was reported without them here. But I think maybe this car had some work done on it. thou don’t see the window connection. There was a very shallow ding in middle of the metal(?) that runs on right side of roof, and the top glass had scraped on outside back, a scratch on outside back and a bigger back & forth scratch over passenger on inside. None bothered me except the passenger one a bit and laminated glass had me in good mood and rest of car was good so took it.

I ordered a caliper (they are $9) from Amazon, will report thickness late tomorrow. Back is obviously thinner looking than front but don’t have two different fronts to compare.

Reactions: NASASpaceXlove
That is strange, my vehicle build date is 10/18 and VIN is in high 636xx.
Great news, happy for you!
I have a 62xxx vin also. MSM, build date 10/18. What is your build date and color?
Taking delivery 11/7.

This was MSM as well, do not know build date, picked up at Tyson’s in Virginia.

I measured the thicknesses, tool says .1mm resolution, .2mm accuracy. It was 3.9mm in back, 6.0mm in front.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike