Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane centering adjustable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our new MYLR seems to feel,it’s too far to the left of center of a lane when autopilot steering is engaged. This is especially uncomfortable in two lane roads where normally I would keep the car about 1 foot further to the right side of the lane and further away from traffic driving in the opposite direction.

is this adjustable by Tesla?

Reactions: 240vPlug
I don’t think it’s adjustable. But on most roads mine seems almost precisely centered. Unless there is a truck next to me. Then it will fade away a little. On twisty suburban roads, it may shade closer to the centerline, but I have not used it that way as much.

I agree that mine is almost precisely centered. But on 2 lane roads without center dividers most drivers don’t keep cars in center of their lane but usually closer to the shoulder to increase distance from traffic in next lane traveling in the opposite direction.

My wife today constantly disconnected lane keeping with instinctive inputs to try to move our car closer to the shoulder rather than remaining centered in the lane. My observations of traffic in opposite direction was that 95% of the cars were not centered but were riding about 1 ft closer to the shoulder lane markers then their left lane markers.

I’ve had a few Nissan Leafs with “Pro Pilot” lane keeping assist driving the exact same route for 3 years and I never remember feeling that the car was too close to the left lane markers as I do with our 2023 Tesla MYLR.

Last edited:
Our new MYLR seems to feel,it’s too far to the left of center of a lane when autopilot steering is engaged. This is especially uncomfortable in two lane roads where normally I would keep the car about 1 foot further to the right side of the lane and further away from traffic driving in the opposite direction.

Not adjustable. It’s programmed to be dead center and you can’t stray away from that without disengaging. I basically never use Autopilot because it’s so bad. Really overhyped. My 2018 VW Golf R had better “Autopilot” operation than the Model 3.

Reactions: Fourdoor

No, its not. As was mentioned (and you agreed) its centered in the lane. many people move their car from side to side in lanes depending on lane size and traffic, etc, but autopilot centers the car in the lane. The choices are either get used to it, or dont use it. Personally, I dont use it very much unless I am in traffic on a freeway.

Reactions: buckets0fun

I completely agree. Very uncomfortable for me as well. If it were any closer to the double yellow it would hit the rumble slots.

I feel my FSD lane centering is dead center on the lane if there are clear markings on both side. Most people on the roadway tend to go a bit more to the left I believe. If this is the case, with multi-lanes, you want everyone to follow the same rule.

However, if near the center lane on an undivided roadway, I will pull a bit to the right when a car approaches from the other way, but not so much to end off the roadway. As for FSD doing this, I've only seen it do that if someone is moving very close to your lane.