Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the software implementation backwards in the lane departure correction. If I drift into the line, to avoid a pothole for example, but do that too many times, the system will essentially penalize me and say that the feature is not available for the remainder of the drive. If I really do need the lane keeping assistance, don’t you think it should be there? Especially if I really am having trouble keeping my lane.

I find the software implementation backwards in the lane departure correction. If I drift into the line, to avoid a pothole for example, but do that too many times, the system will essentially penalize me and say that the feature is not available for the remainder of the drive. If I really do need the lane keeping assistance, don’t you think it should be there? Especially if I really am having trouble keeping my lane.
Yes. I find this quite annoying especially on curvy mountain roads or even just on the freeway. Like I'm being punished!

I cannot imagine this is the default behavior. There must be some conflict or reason the system is giving that message. I searched this topic today because the same message appears for me usually after one incident where it determined I crossed a marked line in the roadway. Here in California, often the onramp merge lanes have a dotted line continuing into the rightmost lane. Of course my system determines I should have veered to the left to avoid the line. It's more of an irritation with that warning message on your screen the whole trip. The problem of course is if the system really is off and someone gets injured or worse because the feature was "punishing" you. That would be a problem. Even though I have only had this vehicle for a month now, I am unimpressed with functionality of auto-steer and some safety features. Cannot tell you how many times while driving I have said to the vehicle "what are you doing?" (Yes, I talk to my car sometimes)