Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lane Departure Avoidance Doesnt Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have "Lane Departure Avoidance" set to "Assist". I notice that even on brand new roads with well marked lanes, the system will let me test drift out of the lanes with no noise/alerts/assist(No turn signal used). Is there another setting I am missing? Auto pilot works fine with keeping me in the lanes and etc but if I am just driving the system acts as if it's off. Any guidance to what I am doing wrong?
lane.jpg

I have "Lane Departure Avoidance" set to "Assist". I notice that even on brand new roads with well marked lanes, the system will let me test drift out of the lanes with no noise/alerts/assist(No turn signal used). Is there another setting I am missing? Auto pilot works fine with keeping me in the lanes and etc but if I am just driving the system acts as if it's off. Any guidance to what I am doing wrong?
View attachment 984484
Are you actively steering the vehicle out of the lane with your hands on the wheel, or letting it slowly drift by itself?

Lane Keep Assist used to be really strict and when it was first introduced and would always correct you, but people complained about it when they wanted to swerve around pot holes or bicyclists or whatever. Tesla then added some logic to try and differentiate between intentional and unintentional lane drift. Some intentional lane drift is still corrected, but it's also possible that some unintentional lane drift is not corrected. I personally have never had the lane keep assist fail me, that I can remember. But it had kicked in when I didn't need it a handful of times.

I have emergency lane departure correct me when I'm actually in the lane, not correct me when I drift out (on purpose or by accident) and all the above for warning (non emergency).

I know this because I have Lane Departure Avoidance set to warning but have Emergency Lane Departure set to On.

Sometimes I get warnings and corrections that are correct, so I live with the false negatives, just for the few times it does work (maybe 1 in 20 times I drift over the line - I go over the line a lot when cutting corners, usually not more than half a tire width, never with any other cars around.)

When I had LDA set to Assist, I got so many false positives that it was annoying, and 2x in 30k miles t tried to drive me off the road (once in the deep snow, understandable, once when I was taking an exit (all manual driving) it tried to swerve off the road, unforgivable).

None of this is confidence building in its capability.